Corn and Soy free......?

My suggestion is

1. Watch this 12 minute clip on the latest GMO study:
2. Buy organic

You may wonder why a person would consider avoiding ALL corn and soy (even if it is organic)....?

The reason I want to avoid Corn and Soy
Consider the that 1600 miles south of the US border, Mexico will not allow the cultivation of GMO crops found their Oaxaca heirloom corn varieties have been contaminated with GMO. Therefore, I make the mental leap that if a field of organic corn growing on US soil is exposed to the open air which 88% GMO corn surroundings, it is highly likely that our organic corn and soy are contaminated with GMO genes. Yes, they may not be spraying RoundUp on the organic field, but the wind does blow.

Earlier, I wasn't scared of the GMO gene itself. I was scared of the over use of the herbicide (known carcinogen). However, in the movie above at the 8:30 mark they share the newest and most surprising aspect of the study. It isn't the herbicide, it is the GMO itself. The GMO without the herbicide is part of the problem it has a huge. Go ahead watch it again from the 8:30 mark.

So you see, since everything is being contaminated and now it is the gene itself. I won't even let my chickens eat soy or corn!! I guess I am quite devout, now that I see my own argument laid out before me.

I am not trying to win you over. However, I don't think it takes a logician to see why I have taken a stance against the entire species of ALL soy and ALL corn. It seems to be the entire genome has been or will be compromised. I am not waiting until I have tumors to find out. I will watch as the rest of our fast food nation continue the study they are unknowingly a part of....

I'll be on the sidelines eating organic and avoiding compromised gene pools.
Scott B
www.phoenixorganicfeed.com

Last edited:
Last edited:
My suggestion is

1. Watch this 12 minute clip on the latest GMO study:
2. Buy organic

You may wonder why a person would consider avoiding ALL corn and soy (even if it is organic)....?

The reason I want to avoid Corn and Soy
Consider the that 1600 miles south of the US border, Mexico will not allow the cultivation of GMO crops found their Oaxaca heirloom corn varieties have been contaminated with GMO. Therefore, I make the mental leap that if a field of organic corn growing on US soil is exposed to the open air which 88% GMO corn surroundings, it is highly likely that our organic corn and soy are contaminated with GMO genes. Yes, they may not be spraying RoundUp on the organic field, but the wind does blow.

Earlier, I wasn't scared of the GMO gene itself. I was scared of the over use of the herbicide (known carcinogen). However, in the movie above at the 8:30 mark they share the newest and most surprising aspect of the study. It isn't the herbicide, it is the GMO itself. The GMO without the herbicide is part of the problem it has a huge. Go ahead watch it again from the 8:30 mark.

So you see, since everything is being contaminated and now it is the gene itself. I won't even let my chickens eat soy or corn!! I guess I am quite devout, now that I see my own argument laid out before me.

I am not trying to win you over. However, I don't think it takes a logician to see why I have taken a stance against the entire species of ALL soy and ALL corn. It seems to be the entire genome has been or will be compromised. I am not waiting until I have tumors to find out. I will watch as the rest of our fast food nation continue the study they are unknowingly a part of....

I'll be on the sidelines eating organic and avoiding compromised gene pools.
Scott B
www.phoenixorganicfeed.com
I tend to preference organic as well - and stay away from soy (due to hormonal effects of the stuff). -stay away from processed and "fast" foods. -feed the chickens organic feed and organic veggies. -grow organic herbs and veggies at home. -not certain that it is plausible to avoid all carcinogens. Most water runoff and rain itself can be contaminated. -no certainties. Plastics are a part of every day life, for the most part. -carcinogenic when heated/cooled or things are stored, therein. Most folks have/want granite countertops. -contain certain amounts of radon gas which, again, is carcinogenic. For the most part, folks demand convenience. They want what's "trendy", quick, and easy. Returning to a completely agricultural, self-sufficient lifestyle in a secluded area free from all things modern and all forms of contamination is next to impossible for most - if not unpalatable, altogether, for many. All one can do is the best he/she can and not sweat every single possibility out there. My ol' family doc once stated that the air would kill ya quicker than anything else. -probably some truth to it - yet we have to breathe.
smile.png
...and, I'll probably still eat organic corn/feed it to the hens even if there's a tad of cross pollination going on somewhere out there with GMO crops.

Last edited:
From Mother Earth Living Magazine:

What is genetic modification?
Organic regulations define the process as “a variety of methods used to genetically modify organisms or influence their growth and development by means that are not possible under natural conditions or processes.” In essence, genes for desirable traits are extracted from a plant, animal, fungus, bacterium or virus and inserted into a life form that would typically not be able to assimilate that gene into its DNA. Some examples include engineering corn with the pesticide Bt (Bacillus thuringiensis) to kill the corn borers that might attack the plant; inserting a gene that produces growth hormones into hogs to make them grow faster or into cows to make them produce more milk; or transferring a trait for herbicide resistance into plants so that they may then be sprayed with that herbicide without dying. According to organic regulations, genetic modification does not include the use of traditional breeding, conjugation, fermentation, hybridization, in vitro fertilization or tissue culture.

I agree with TXchickmum that it's nearly impossible to avoid all corporate contamination in our food. However, I do the best I can by raising my own chickens for eggs, and many of the fruits and veggies that I consume. The rest I purchase from trusted local sources. Otherwise I buy organic. I know I'm not 100% toxin free, but I'm keeping them at a minumum which has to be better than just immersing myself in the stuff. Since the jury is still out on the long term effects of GMO, why take a chance when I can avoid it? Living in the rural Blue Ridge mountains, it's easy to produce a small amount of corn for my own consumption without danger of cross pollination (no corporate farms within 100 miles of here), so why not do it?

As my former Jewish MIL used to say, "It couldn't hurt".

Last edited:
"I know I'm not 100% toxin free, but I'm keeping them at a minumum which has to be better than just immersing myself in the stuff." - Absolutely!!!!

-and you are very blessed to call the Blue Ridge Mountains home!! (-would love to scamper out of suburbia into the rural Rockies, myself
wink.png
...but alas, the hubby's job is in the DFW Metroplex. -always looking for that transfer...!!!)

From Mother Earth Living Magazine:

What is genetic modification?
Organic regulations define the process as “a variety of methods used to genetically modify organisms or influence their growth and development by means that are not possible under natural conditions or processes.” In essence, genes for desirable traits are extracted from a plant, animal, fungus, bacterium or virus and inserted into a life form that would typically not be able to assimilate that gene into its DNA. Some examples include engineering corn with the pesticide Bt (Bacillus thuringiensis) to kill the corn borers that might attack the plant; inserting a gene that produces growth hormones into hogs to make them grow faster or into cows to make them produce more milk; or transferring a trait for herbicide resistance into plants so that they may then be sprayed with that herbicide without dying. According to organic regulations, genetic modification does not include the use of traditional breeding, conjugation, fermentation, hybridization, in vitro fertilization or tissue culture.

I agree with TXchickmum that it's nearly impossible to avoid all corporate contamination in our food. However, I do the best I can by raising my own chickens for eggs, and many of the fruits and veggies that I consume. The rest I purchase from trusted local sources. Otherwise I buy organic. I know I'm not 100% toxin free, but I'm keeping them at a minumum which has to be better than just immersing myself in the stuff. Since the jury is still out on the long term effects of GMO, why take a chance when I can avoid it? Living in the rural Blue Ridge mountains, it's easy to produce a small amount of corn for my own consumption without danger of cross pollination (no corporate farms within 100 miles of here), so why not do it?

As my former Jewish MIL used to say, "It couldn't hurt".
I tend to agree, I try to buy local stuff produced on farms that minimize chemicals and would garden again if I had the time to put into it. I have the land and we have a decent growing season here and we are scoured by fresh Pacific ocean air frequently enough to not worry about pollution too much. I am not convinced myself with the whole GMO thing and really tend to think it is just part of the over all consensus by some that are on a mission to destroy corporate america.

I did hear that the chief lobbyist for Monsanto is the head of some food program or food czar or something and was appointed by Obama. That concerns me a little.

Bad air will kill you long before food will.

... you are very blessed to call the Blue Ridge Mountains home!!

Bad air will kill you long before food will.

I agree; living in the BR mountains is heaven on earth. Takes care of the air pollution problems, too. We're 100 miles from any decent sized city and, when the bad air alerts are out in ATL in the summer, the sky is "Carolina Blue", and the air fresh and sweet up here. Not a single sign of air pollution.

Not only is bad air a greater health risk than food, its negative effects are seen much faster, too. My brother, a non-smoker, died of lung cancer. They think it was from his late wife's second-hand smoke, and from pollution. He was in sales in ATL, so he spent a lot of time in traffic. Plus, he used to jog on the side of the road. Both were efficient delivery methods for car exhaust. I escaped all that just before he got sick. I'm not trying to live forever, but I'd prefer to go via some other method than cancer. My brother, father, grandmother, and SIL all died of it, and I have no desire to suffer like they did. I'd rather die in my sleep ... behind the wheel of my truck ... while careening off a mountain ... Thelma and Louise style.

Waaah Hooooooo!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom