Corn planting question

Red Horse

Songster
May 16, 2022
It's my first year planting corn and I only have a 16x4' area that's appropriate for it, but I want to try a few types for different purposes (sweet corn, flint, and flour types). I have read that different varieties of sweet corn can be planted 2 weeks apart to help keep them from cross-pollinating, but will it work with the starchier types too?

In my experience, planting so closely together will result in cross pollinating.
Since this is your first rodeo, I would focus on one variety in a space that size.
The tassel, IMO can continue to shed for longer than 2 weeks and depending on wind direction and speed, those will fertilize silk as much as miles away. Maybe you could try separating planting times by a month or more but for your first effort, I would do one variety.

In my experience, planting so closely together will result in cross pollinating.
Since this is your first rodeo, I would focus on one variety in a space that size.
The tassel, IMO can continue to shed for longer than 2 weeks and depending on wind direction and speed, those will fertilize silk as much as miles away. Maybe you could try separating planting times by a month or more but for your first effort, I would do one variety.
Thank you!! There are so many corn fields close to me it makes me wonder now if my plants will take up some pollen from them!

You should plant your corn in squares for better pollination. One long row doesnt pollinate that well since corn is pollinated by the wind. If that is all you got, you can pull off a tassel and pollinate the silks manually when its time.
Thank you, I'll probably end up playing cornstalk matchmaker!!

... will it work with the starchier types too?
Separating the time they tassel works for all kinds of corn but some varieties take longer to tassel. So if you have an 70 day variety and an 84 day variety, it will work if you plant the 70 day variety first but not if you plant the 84 day variety first. Assuming similar growing conditions for both.
Thank you!! There are so many corn fields close to me it makes me wonder now if my plants will take up some pollen from them
Maybe. Usually not enough to be much of an issue. The closer, bigger, breezier, and less there is between to deflect the wind, the more of a problem it is.

Separating the time they tassel works for all kinds of corn but some varieties take longer to tassel. So if you have an 70 day variety and an 84 day variety, it will work if you plant the 70 day variety first but not if you plant the 84 day variety first. Assuming similar growing conditions for both.

Maybe. Usually not enough to be much of an issue. The closer, bigger, breezier, and less there is between to deflect the wind, the more of a problem it is.
Thank you! It looks like all three kinds I chose are 85 day varieties, so I'll need to get creative with my planting areas if I'm still going to try all 3.

That is so for many plants. Corn is an exception.
I stand corrected. Thanks for that.
I get it now. The pollen grain germinates the silk strand silk strand and produces a pollen tube that grows down the silk and quickly fertilizes the ovule. The resulting kernal is offspring of both parents. This old brain had to really reach back in time to recall all this.

Back
Top Bottom