Cornish cross dilemma :(

This happened to an unsuspecting friend of mine A few years ago. He unknowingly bought Cornish X and raised them like regular chickens, and they grew huge and had serious skeletal issues. Some died and some had to be killed.
I see them at TSC sometimes, and they don’t ask buyers if they know what they are buying.

This happened to an unsuspecting friend of mine A few years ago. He unknowingly bought Cornish X and raised them like regular chickens, and they grew huge and had serious skeletal issues. Some died and some had to be killed.
I see them at TSC sometimes, and they don’t ask buyers if they know what they are buying.
Yes. TSC should absolutely inform customers of what type of a chicken a Cornish Cross is. My father has raised chickens for years and never heard of such. Neither did my friends at work who have chickens. It’s so sad. And wrong. My local feed store only orders them for those who specifically request them.

We have our own chickens in our freezer, and I much prefer either the heritage type birds, which I order straight run, and eat extra cockerels, or the Freedom Ranger type of meat birds, who run around like normal chickens. Both take longer to grow, and so cost more to grow, and don't come out like the poor guys who grow in plastic at the grocery store.
In other words, we eat chickens, who have a nice life until that last day.
Mary

I kept two Cornish crosses for a little over a year. Free range is good. The more they free range the better. They need the exercise. In really hot weather I freeze plastic shoe boxes full of water to make ice blocks and add them to a water pan I keep in the yard. It has a grate over it and bricks in the bottom so chicks don’t fall in and drown. I allowed my two girls to have veggie treats, cabbage, lettuce, broccoli etc. scratch grains are super fattening. They literally have to be on a diet their whole lives.
The good news is I know of people who have kept them alive for up to 5 years, but only by keeping them on a strict diet.
I think my two would have lived longer had I been able to give them more good free ranging. Exercise is key.

Hello :)
I’m new to this site and new to raising chickens.
So my question is what should I feed my Cornish cross if I am not raising them for meat. TSC sold us 6 Cornish cross in a bin marked bantams. My sweet husband bought them without me and even though I had no idea what a Cornish cross was - I knew that they were not bantams. I discovered what breed they were at 11 days
old😔😔
We are super attached to them - they are so sweet ❤ And I’ve heard different ways to limit food to keep them healthy. They are 11 weeks old. They free range and forage every day. But I’m just not sure what to feed them? My local feed store has suggested just feeding them 3 way scratch and letting them forage. I don’t want to harm them but I also don’t want them to grow so big it kills them. Very sad situation.
Thank you so much for any suggestions
Jackie
Oh boy, cornish cross would be my last choice for pet chickens. But, I've had a few CX hens become somewhat of family pets. They get huge and act crippled but somehow become loved maybe through empathy.

It was always a sad day when the old broiler hen was found dead. We had a few pet chickens and I've finally figured out it's not a good thing to get attached to chickens because they dont live long enough.

Had one of my sons get attached to a few different birds. They were usually ones that he kinda let broody hens sit on eggs and hatch. Not sure if he did it on purpose or not but in the end it caused him heart ache. Something always seemed to happen. Poor guy lost a lot of critters but he still loves animals. Bless his heart.

Oh boy, cornish cross would be my last choice for pet chickens. But, I've had a few CX hens become somewhat of family pets. They get huge and act crippled but somehow become loved maybe through empathy.

It was always a sad day when the old broiler hen was found dead. We had a few pet chickens and I've finally figured out it's not a good thing to get attached to chickens because they dont live long enough.

Had one of my sons get attached to a few different birds. They were usually ones that he kinda let broody hens sit on eggs and hatch. Not sure if he did it on purpose or not but in the end it caused him heart ache. Something always seemed to happen. Poor guy lost a lot of critters but he still loves animals. Bless his heart.
Thank you for your response. We do love these guys 😔❤️

Back
Top Bottom