Cornish cross my huge egg laying hen!

godachicken

Songster
9 Years
Jan 3, 2014
seattle wa
Hello. Anyone every hatched eggs from a Cornish cross? How did the chicks look??? I have a HUGE Cornish cross hen that started laying eggs 2 weeks ago. She is 16 lbs! After her first egg, I paired her up with my 8.5 lb Thai gamefowl. Her 3rd egg laid was fertile. I currently have 7 of her eggs in the incubator. Today I switched in my blue wheaten Malay rooster. I hope to get fertile eggs from them in a couple/few weeks. I have no idea how long she will live and keep laying. So far she seems very healthy. I can’t wait to see how the chicks will end up. She is laying 5 eggs a week so far. No pullet eggs here! Her eggs are freakishly huge.
ABC73C40-7142-44A3-9795-CF758977AF49.jpeg
CD806180-D486-4B34-A897-FCEE7F46932A.jpeg
47AD307F-7968-4377-836F-9E675C408C4D.jpeg
81ED9456-7205-4220-A559-BB3625D56A92.jpeg

Last picture here she is next to a novagen laying hen. She is an absolute hulk of a hen.

Those are double yokers and usually don’t hatch but can produce twins
I’m going to have to agree.

There is a very recent thread, though, maybe a week or so back, about a double yolker that made it to hatch day, but sadly the twin on the opposite side of the air cell pipped first, and while trying to get out, pipped on a vein and both chicks bled out. Even though they didn’t hatch, it’s pretty cool they made it that far. Most day make it past a week.

Hello! How long did you keep your Cornish cross as pets? I m wondering if she will live more than a year. At 16 lbs I don’t think her body will last. But she walks just fine and looks healthy. Very friendly hen. I hope someone has input on doing a cross with them. My Thai and Malay are bigger fowl and I m assuming any offspring she be larger than normal.

Hello! How long did you keep your Cornish cross as pets? I m wondering if she will live more than a year. At 16 lbs I don’t think her body will last. But she walks just fine and looks healthy. Very friendly hen. I hope someone has input on doing a cross with them. My Thai and Malay are bigger fowl and I m assuming any offspring she be larger than normal.
You have to restrict there feed. Do you do that or let her eat as much as she wants? Cornish X as pets don't usually live more then 2 years, but I think it will be a super fun experiment! I actually have a thread about Cornish X as pets, its kinda a ghost thread since no one has posted on it, but feel free to bring it back to life!

Back
Top Bottom