1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Cornish Crosses without many feathers

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by rmonge00, Apr 15, 2012.

1. rmonge00

rmonge00 Chillin' With My Peeps

Hello,

Quick question. I just got 25 cornish crosses for the first time and they look a lot different from the dual purpose birds that I have raised in the past. They have areas on them in full feather, but in other areas- particularly their breasts and thighs, you can still see their pink skin. They are about 3-4 weeks old... Is this normal? Any reason for this? I have been turning their brooding lamp off during the day for a full week now...

Thanks!!

2. galanie

galanie Treat Dispenser No More

Aug 20, 2010
    Colmesneil,TX
    It's normal. They sort of outgrow their feathers because of the speed they gain weight at.

3. bwmichaud

bwmichaud Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2010
    That's perfectly normal for them. Look on the bright side, they'll have fewer feathers to pluck.

4. the_great_snag

the_great_snag Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2007
    Staples, Minnesota
    Actually they tend to be really heavy on the pin feathers if you try to butcher them too young. I try to feed mine a bit slower and let them feather out a bit more as they grow. Seems to help with plucking.

My other chicks love them. They sit on them on cold days to keep warm!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by