Cornish Rock as Pets

I actually fully expected to loose some when we got them but all 6 are still going strong. As a matter of fact we were told some might not make it. But my fingers are crossed luck is on our side.

Last edited:
Should i put a heat lamp in their coop? We are getting ready to build them one so it would be nice to build it in

Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! You might want to check out some of the cornishX as pets threads also https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/361840/say-what-pet-cornish-x/20_20
Adult chickens generally don't need extra heat, so most people do not have a heat light in the coop... it might be handy to have if you ever raise chicks again and want to brood them in there... would think that built in lights are going to be safer than anything you would add later.

Honestly - I think everyone involved (bird and boy) would be best served with either an age appropriate conversation and agreed upon exchange of birds for a more appropriate breed that will be the pet he/you want *or* a sneaky switch-a-roo if you are able to find similar aged birds of a white laying breed that can be substituted for these birds if you just can't bring yourself to be upfront about it.

Kelsie2290 we are super pred proofing the coop. I just figured it would be easier to run the wire now rather than later. Since its new construction.

Ol grey mare unfortunantly my son would notice the difference. I will jump that hurtle when the time comes.

I know many of you think i need new chickens or that it will be too hard on him. But DH and I have discussed it over and we have a plan in place for the occasion should and when it arises. I just want to extend their life.

Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :) Unfortunately, you can't keep Cornish Rock as pets. Usually, they tend to be aggressive and they get obese which leads to a short lifespan. If you have further questions about feeding and raising birds, I would recommend posting in the "Flock Management" or the "Feeding and Watering Your Flock" section.

So many mixed responses more bad than good. Good thing im determined

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure at 4 years old your son wouldn't tell the difference if you switched the cornish cross with white rocks-/plymouth rocks of the same age. I don't post mean things so I apologize in advance if it comes off that way: how do you plan to teach him where his food comes from? Does the pet dog go to Transformer heaven or does it get replaced by a look-a-like for 20 years? The truth is sometimes harder for an adult to teach because we fear the reaction our children will have. I've raised my share of children and honey, your reaction is what he will go off of. If you love to see the squirrels in the yard you don't get a Jack Russell because it is a squirrel hunting dog. If you want to see your son's face light up with happiness upon finding eggs and avoid 'the call of the truth' for awhile get a breed for egg laying and switch them out. I do hope you find a happy medium.

Im sure we could switch them out. He hasnt been told about our dog yet because she was his and a freak accident caused her death. And no replacement for a long time could take her place. Im talking more with my husband about the chicks and he wants to wait to see what happens. I was so excited to have them now i feel sad for them. And i hope we find a happy medium too.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom