Cornish rock chicks

JenHarmon

Songster
Apr 26, 2017
Texas
I have raised chicks of various breeds for several years now. I keep them in a tote or a cage that is draft free with shavings and a heat lamp and watch them closely. I have not had any die this way. I make sure all have fresh water and food. Saturday I bought 12 cornish rock chicks and 2 leghorns. My leghorns are doing very well. I have lost 5 cornish rocks. I don't get it. They don't act cold or too hot. No outward signs of health problems. What is the deal? Why is this the only breed I have had this kind of trouble with?

They tend to have more trouble than regular layers or dual purpose. I don't know of anything in particular that can be done differently specifically for them. Maybe there are strategies that others know?

I have raised chicks of various breeds for several years now. I keep them in a tote or a cage that is draft free with shavings and a heat lamp and watch them closely. I have not had any die this way. I make sure all have fresh water and food. Saturday I bought 12 cornish rock chicks and 2 leghorns. My leghorns are doing very well. I have lost 5 cornish rocks. I don't get it. They don't act cold or too hot. No outward signs of health problems. What is the deal? Why is this the only breed I have had this kind of trouble with?
Can you post some photos of your chicks, their poop and brooder?
Where did these chicks come from?
What's your brooder temperature?
How old are they?
Are they Cornish Rocks or are they Cornish Cross chicks?
What are you feeding them?

If you have noticed any symptoms, please list those, they might give us a clue - the ones that died - were they lethargic, puffed up, not eating/drinking, etc. - if they had symptoms, how long did they have them before they died?

From what I know, cornish cross will eat themselves to death, so if you've had them for a few weeks and haven't restricted their feed, then that might be your problem. Although, it sounds like you haven't had them that long.

I have only had the chicks for 5 or 6 days. Their poop is normal. They came from tractor supply. Their "brooder" is a rubbermaid type tote with a heat lamp at one end but they can move away from it if they want to. They are cornish rocks according to the sign at the store. I do not know for sure how old they are...approximately a week. I am feeding dumor 20% chick starter/grower. They all act fine. No pasty butt. None are lethargic. They are all eating and drinking. Clear eyes and nostrils. They fuss if I hamdle em (I don't normally hamdle food animals much). They are kept in the garage so that my cats don't bother them. My leghorns are in a different tote and they are totally fine. No losses. I have raised silkies, showgirls, turkens, brahamas, barred rock, among others all in the same way...never had any losses. Sorry it took me a bit to get back on here. Had a family emergency.

The only things I could suggest are adding Corid to their water just in case and maybe restricting feed a touch, but you really shouldn't have to restrict feed that young.

20190308_175635.jpg 20190308_175641.jpg 20190308_175648.jpg 20190308_175718.jpg 20190308_175641.jpg 20190308_175635.jpg 20190308_175641.jpg 20190308_175648.jpg 20190308_175718.jpg
I am not sure how i got 2 of each of these images...ugh. Anyway...here is the latest chick. All of their poop looks the same..not watery. This one I saw was just laying around so I got it out and brought it in. Gave it water and it drank and ate but wouldn't stand so I looked at its legs...the left one was obviously having issues. And it was breathing hard. The other 6 are all walking around and eating/drinking and breathing normally.

View attachment 1695474 View attachment 1695477 View attachment 1695479 View attachment 1695480 View attachment 1695477 View attachment 1695474 View attachment 1695477 View attachment 1695479 View attachment 1695480
I am not sure how i got 2 of each of these images...ugh. Anyway...here is the latest chick. All of their poop looks the same..not watery. This one I saw was just laying around so I got it out and brought it in. Gave it water and it drank and ate but wouldn't stand so I looked at its legs...the left one was obviously having issues. And it was breathing hard. The other 6 are all walking around and eating/drinking and breathing normally.

https://www.merckvetmanual.com/poul.../noninfectious-skeletal-disorders-in-broilers

Back
Top Bottom