Cornish Rock Coops

doodledo

Crowing
16 Years
Jun 4, 2007
Man I am confused now:p
tongue.png
. I was goin to put my chickens out at about 4 weeks in a large pen outside fenced in (top and bottom) and then put up a large tent like for them, What it is is a canopy that you can buy almost anywhere that has the metal poles. I was goin to take the poles off and just sit the top on the ground so they would have shelter. But I read they cant have drafts at night? So this wouldnt work? Their coop has to be enclosed? I didnt want to do anything permanent since they wont be here long. What do you use?

I don't see why your plan wouldn't work. By that time they will be BIG and fully feathered. They should be fine.

My Cornish were only 10 days old before I put them out with the big girls. They are doing great!! These birds are not like any others I'm raising. They tend to not like as much heat as others.
I'm also free ranging them (plus their regular meat rations) so mine aren't getting as big as fast as the hatchery says, but, they are NOT having the problems the hatchery says either.
So far I like my way. My birds are healthy & fast moving & still growing considerably faster than my others. I'm figuring 12 weeks for a butchering date. I don't know though as I am new to this addiction. LOL!!

Spock78, what is meat rations? Mine will be outside in a large run. I am afraid to free range. We live in the country but close to the road and no one knows what a speed limit is.

Doodledo, the meat/broiler rations feed is higher in protien. I can't seem to find the 21-22% protien feed here so I am feeding mine some turkey/goose feed. It is 28% protien & has had a heck of a growing effect on my babies. I've been mixing it with some layer feed since all my chickens eat in the yard anyhow, they all tend to eat both feeds. My mixture & the freeranging is having great effects on all my egg layers also.

Back
Top Bottom