Cornish Thread

is it true that most cornish are hard to keep alive or am i getting fed bull? some people say they mostly cant support their own weight because of the pace they grow at. and they are pretty much held up by steroids and antibioticsi wanted to do meat birds so that i can start doing numerous things like sell meat eggs, liver gizards. ppretty much fill my town with all organic non gmo fed chicken and sell everything from eating to hatching eggs, chicks on up etc. im just wanting to fins a great source for a cornish game bird i can breed to sell to my townsfolk and be self sustainable and share that with more people that either want to buy charity BBQ plates for raising money for the needy or boys and girls club. thank you for all the insight

is it true that most cornish are hard to keep alive or am i getting fed bull? some people say they mostly cant support their own weight because of the pace they grow at. and they are pretty much held up by steroids and antibioticsi wanted to do meat birds so that i can start doing numerous things like sell meat eggs, liver gizards. ppretty much fill my town with all organic non gmo fed chicken and sell everything from eating to hatching eggs, chicks on up etc. im just wanting to fins a great source for a cornish game bird i can breed to sell to my townsfolk and be self sustainable and share that with more people that either want to buy charity BBQ plates for raising money for the needy or boys and girls club. thank you for all the insight
I believe the Cornish you are referring to are the white Cornish Rock cross. They can be hard to raise past 8 weeks. They are made to process for the freezer. The White Cornish purebreds, Dark Cornish purebreds, and White Laced Reds are different. Look them up, do some research.

Last edited:
I believe the Cornish you are referring to are the white Cornish Rock cross. They can be hard to raise past 8 weeks. They are made to process for the freezer. The White Cornish purebreds, Dark Cornish purebreds, and White Laced Reds are different. Look them up, do some research.

And look very hard at what Linda Patelski has to offer on a very limited basis. We have her birds and I will strongly vouch for her stock and their ability to sustain themselves.

Jason

How would the harvest weight be on white Cornish purebred. Do they produce about the same weight and do they take longer to grow out. I wouldn't mind longer just want to make sure I'm not having to nurse everyone of them to keep them alive.

Last edited:
Pure bred Cornish take a very long time to mature compared to the cornish cross. The can have issues too, my purebred dark cornish cockerel dropped dead of probable heart failure at around 8 months. Many people have success with the cornish cross, but you do have to pay close attention to management. You cannot beat the growth rate of the commercial cornish cross, but livability can be an issue.

Last edited:
thats why i want to breed a bird that fills out nicely in a less time than standard and more time than the crosses. any ideas other than br to make them bigger and faster but somewhat slower? any ideas

How would the harvest weight be on white Cornish purebred. Do they produce about the same weight and do they take longer to grow out. I wouldn't mind longer just want to make sure I'm not having to nurse everyone of them to keep them alive.
Welps hatchery has a slow grow cornish cross.They are very easy to raise,no problems healthwise as far as my experience. They also lay fairly consistently

Back
Top Bottom