Cornish Thread

They are a very productive strain. The chicks in the picture came predominantly from the slow grows using a Saipan rooster. I had a Scx rooster that was awesome. He was seriously injured by geese(who are now GONE) and I had to put him down.

Ouch!!lol the saipan are not your typical "game" but I will keep you posted on how they progress. One hatch just turned a week old and there are already a couple of birds that look to be on track for massive size.

what do you mean not typical game? like better than others or not technically a game? sorry just trying to learn. and thank you im thinking about buying some slowgrows and probably see what comes from brunners

what do you  mean not typical game? like better than others or not technically a game? sorry just trying to learn. and thank you im thinking about buying some slowgrows and probably see what comes from brunners
They have a clouded history. Classified as an oriental game. They can reach heights of 36 inches and weights well over 12 lbs. They are also a slow developing breed that doesn't reach its full size until 3yrs of age.

Last edited:
The best Cornish Birds I've located belong to A man named Edwin Smith. He is a member of the group "Cornish Poultry SOP"
on Facebook.Ive spent alot of time researching these birds and talking to various breeders. Edwin,IMO, is one of the most knowledgeable and has truly spectacular birds. He is also an all-around great person who works with youth groups and newbies to the breed. There are many people who will sell you what your looking for.Very,very few have birds of his caliber.

I haven't purchased any SOP birds to date. When I do,they will come from Edwin. I have alot of things to do,facility wise before I take the plunge.
I've had hatchery stock. That's a mistake I will not make again. It takes time and money to get quality birds.The people who have the best dedicate huge amounts of time and resources to promoting the breed.I think that's one of the reasons they are so hard to find. If You have the passion they do,then you DON'T want your birds going to someone who doesn't share your love for the breed.

JRNash I've tried the Saipans before and theyre majestic birds just slow growth and the females werent the best layers in my opinion. That being said if I were ever to move and have better coops they will be the first birds on my list. Of all the ones Ive had I think these Cornish X with a barred rock rooster have been my fastest growing ones. Even a Cornish Rock rooster with a Dark cornish hen does not grow as fast. Im hoping to cross my (Barred Rock Roo x Cornish Rock Hens offsprings) + ( Cornish Rock Roo x Dark Cornish Hens offsprings) and get dark colored fast growing birds!...Hope that is understandable

Back
Top Bottom