Cornish Thread

can someone please tell me the different types of meat type like broiler and stuff. feeling like ray charles at a magic show

In Alphabetical order. Considered excellent by Murray McMurray, but not always the best.There are many types of meat bred chickens.

Last edited:
Nice chicks Sam! Are the whites out of the new Cornish show stock or your White Cornish Rock Cock bird. 
Thanks Linda,
No the white ones are from my Barred Rock Rooster and my Cornish Rock hens... I havent had much luck with my cornish show stock that I picked up at the show. The dark cornish I got from you have started to lay though and Im hoping soo to get some chicks.
My Cornish Rock rooster with my Dark Cornish hens gives me a dark bird though and Ive seen yours have been mostly white

In Alphabetical order. Considered excellent by Murray McMurray, but not always the best.There are many types of meat bred chickens.

We found the Doms to have more meat per bird than the Barred rocks despite the heavier weight of the BRs.

OOps...I quoted the wrong post. I get more ditzy by the day

J.

Another edit...I ordered more banding digits from Linda. Those who are considering banding your birds should give some thought...they work wonderfully and can be re-used multiple times.

Last edited:
hank you yes what is the difference in them.

It will s mostly dependent on the age of the bird. Young fast growing birds are great for fryers and grillers. Generally a lot smaller then your broiler but processed at about the same time (I see Murray McMurray puts leghorns in that group that would be very little meat)
Broilers are your Cornish x, and other hybrids. They are fast growing and generally similar to what you would find at the supermarket.
Roasters are your more traditional heritage birds. They grow much slower and so require a longer cooking time. Their flavor should be stronger too.
Soup birds are your very old birds. Many a mean Rooster has ended up as soup. They require the longest to cook to get tender.
How they are proportioned depends on the breed you choose. The broilers will have the large breast meat, the roasters will be more leggy.

It will s mostly dependent on the age of the bird. Young fast growing birds are great for fryers and grillers. Generally a lot smaller then your broiler but processed at about the same time (I see Murray McMurray puts leghorns in that group that would be very little meat)
Broilers are your Cornish x, and other hybrids. They are fast growing and generally similar to what you would find at the supermarket.
Roasters are your more traditional heritage birds. They grow much slower and so require a longer cooking time. Their flavor should be stronger too.
Soup birds are your very old birds. Many a mean Rooster has ended up as soup. They require the longest to cook to get tender.
How they are proportioned depends on the breed you choose. The broilers will have the large breast meat, the roasters will be more leggy.
thank you very much. just reading this st alone has made me get a question or two. if i have a few BR hens and a light cornish would it be different than vice versa

thank you very much. just reading this st alone has made me get a question or two. if i have a few BR hens and a light cornish would it be different than vice versa

Yes you BR will grow much slower and never get as large as your Cornish. I have BR, I keep them for layers (though I will eat the males). Your Cornish will grow larger and faster. It is likely the breast will be bigger on Cornish.

Back
Top Bottom