Cornish Thread

Pics
Hi all,
I have been raising, breeding, and showing poultry for some time now. Usually cochins both large fowl and bantam, however I have receintly obtained bantam cornish. I enjoy the breed and hopefully will learn a bit on the breeding and raising of them. It is different going from the soft feather of cochins to the hard feather of cornish. Any tips on preparing them for show?

Quote:
The first successful cross was Cornish X New Hampshire Red, and it was replaced by Cornish X Plymouth White Rock. Today the parent lines are those developed by each corporation and not available to anyone other than registered breeders producing eggs for resale to registered hatchers, or chicks for resale to growers.

Quote:
I've no experience getting any chicken ready to show, but have noted the Cornish can break feathers pretty easily when I'm handling them. I was hoping some of those with some experience might offer up some tips.

I was told to brush them with a nylon stocking over your hand to make them shine.
idunno.gif

just wanted to share some of my indian game. i have been working on lavender and silver indian game bantams:

lavigbckl1.jpg

lavenderigbpullet.jpg

slvindianhen3.jpg

i also would like to breed my birds to the standard where the birds are active and agile, something like the indian game of old here is a 5 month old large ckl who will most like be christmas dinner. he is full free range:

roastdinner.jpg

Well you guy's are too much, I thank you all very much. I hope we do well and it's just an honor to even be included in a show of this magnitude and surrounded by Cornish Legends and some great birds. We are hoping our whites will place well as we have been encouraged by many good Cornishmen to enter them. Charley and I have been working closely together on our birds for years and our lines are closely intertwined, we swap and borrow birds all the time and it's really great to have another good Cornish guy within 200 miles. We have been working real hard these past few years on these Whites and WLR's to get to this point so it feels pretty good. Anyway thanks again for all the well wishes.

AL

Last edited:
My son is going to enter meat birds at the state fair. We have been discussing breeds and would like to enter something other that the typical crosses. ( Last year he took Rosmabros- organic/pasture raised chickens to the county fair). Is it reasonable or possible to take the standard white cornish and if so where can we find some?

These little cuties are from eggs hatched from Funky Feathers at http://www.funkyfeathers.com and were hatched 10/31/11 . I have 5 Splash and 7 Mille Fleur chicks that are lively, cute and just beginning to color up! These little guys will be fun to raise and watch develop into some beautiful cochins. These guys are FREE as they have been "purchased" quite a few times already ! If I cannot find an interested party on this site they will go on Craig's list! or I am able to ship via Express Mail for $60.00 or home pick-up is welcome. Please feel free to email me for more information and please be honest with me and come and get them! I have kept back the few i need for breeding and would love to see these go to a home that appreciates Splash and Mille Fleur bantam Cochins! Ruth

ps. If you are one of the parties that BID and did not PAY please do not respond to this!

DSCN3694.jpg

DSCN3696.jpg

DSCN3693.jpg

Quote:
Welcome Ruff, I have been following all of your projects on the-coop. Does that lavender have red in her? Not sure if its my computer but looks like pink in the breast. With your silvers do you plan to breed for single laced?

lavender changes the mahogany to 'pink'. i am working on double laced silvers and lavenders as double lacing is all that is acceptable in australia and then only cornish, jubilee , blue and white (white very rare). trying to get new colours accepted will be pretty well impossible so i just do it for the fun of it. i have decided to merge the silver and lavender lines making them silver lavenders as this means i only have one line with both the genetics of silver and lavender. the hardest part with the silvers was getting rid of the residual red. this is the best i have done so far and it has been at the expense of the lacing. double lacing is starting to improve. the first cross was over 7 years ago so i am very happy with them. i don't vaccinate and cull on health very hard, it is sort of like slow cooking where it is better to take your time rather than hurry and one hopes the all over quality will be better in the end.

it is all just a project in genetics; expensive, time consuming but fascinating. unfortunatly it will never be accpeted into the standards or ever become popular. they will disappear the moment i stop breeding them.

here is a close up of the lavender pullet:

lavenderindianlacing.jpg

and a jubilee lavender, showing no lavender but the pinkish red:

lavjubigbplt2.jpg

remember we breed double laced indians in australia and the colouration for the normal jubilee is this:

jubindianckl-1.jpg

and also i am a rebel and will not breed crippled up birds that are not active and agile, they can mate naturally and perch on a perch (well my bantams can but my large birds are somewhat to heavy to be trusted on a perch after a year of age.

Back
Top Bottom