Cornish Thread

Pics
Computer monitors, like Walt said, are not accurate so far as judging color. What appears blue on my screen might appear green on yours. Anyone that has ever done much digital art or press work/publishing/printing can tell you that for sure.

Computer monitors, like Walt said, are not accurate so far as judging color. What appears blue on my screen might appear green on yours. Anyone that has ever done much digital art or press work/publishing/printing can tell you that for sure.
I believe my own monitor displays color pretty much true, though I'm sure they are not even close to perfect. My digital camera requires the subject to be in the proper light conditions to even get close to the color I see. In this picture I used a program that adjusts pictures taken when bright back ground light or low light causes my camera to throw brightness and colors off. The green grass behind it was changed to yellow but the rest of the picture is closer to what it actually looked like in the shade [and I get too show that the pullet has a heavier boned and better headed sibling] lol

I'm not sure if Aviengems was pointing out that the eye on the WLR bantam is mostly visually yellow or if he can't see the pearl in it at all. I've been asking about the pearl eye because I've had someone tell me the light yellow eye on their bird was pearl. Some of my DCs have that color of eye and I was pretty sure they are not pearl. Being a newbie I want to learn what is what. I think we're only talking about a little bit of trim paint or a cool weather vane on the barn anyway.

Last edited:
Quote:
lol.png

Thank you for the kind words on the chick and the advice. Actually I hope to get some whites off of the blacks from my DCs also.

Last edited:
For good pictures of pearl eye birds you want to look at some of the Asil or Shamo from the homelands. Those eyes will be pearl, platinum or white like you have never seen. You will know when you see one.

Or, go to Google Images, type in "North Indian Asil" or "Reza Asil". A few good pearl eye colored birds should come up.

For good pictures of pearl eye birds you want to look at some of the Asil or Shamo from the homelands. Those eyes will be pearl, platinum or white like you have never seen. You will know when you see one.

Or, go to Google Images, type in "North Indian Asil" or "Reza Asil". A few good pearl eye colored birds should come up.

Remembered I have a good eye color example of my Ko Shamo...duh! Pearl on bottom and not pearl on top. He is a young stag, out of a pearl eye hen and gold colored cock. She is a two year old hen, out of straight pearl eyed stock.

Hope this helps.

Remembered I have a good eye color example of my Ko Shamo...duh! Pearl on bottom and not pearl on top. He is a young stag, out of a pearl eye hen and gold colored cock. She is a two year old hen, out of straight pearl eyed stock.

Hope this helps.
Thank you. I think a good pearl eye like hers is a thing of beauty and to be appreciated as a very desirable characteristic that had little to do with what Shamos were bred for in their beginnings. By the same token, by the time the APA accepted large fowl Cornish as a breed they were a meat bird, the beautiful pearl eye a part of their heritage and a thing of beauty that had little to do with the purpose of the breed. I would love to have or even see a really good Cornish with great pearl eyes. IMO I have work to do before getting mine to be what I consider to be really good Cornish with or without pearl eyes.

Just the opinion and ramblings of a newbie, but I think the APA did and is doing the right thing when making the lack of pearl eyes to be a two point deduction on large fowl Cornish being shown. If they had called it a DQ at shows, then the majority of good quality large fowl Cornish to be found would have them and even a newbie like me would not have to look hard on most of them to determine if they were pearl or not. LOL But how important is the color of the eye on a meat bird? It may be the wrong way to go about it, but I look at mine as meat birds that I want to breed close enough to the SOP that they will be really tough at a show. I definitely want correct color, big bone, wide stance, big wide head with flat skull and projecting brows, and even pearl eyes; but if I lost sight of the fact they are supposed to be a meat bird in the process of getting those things then [in my opinion] I messed up. Of course if I only wanted a good meat bird, I could just order some so called 'Jumbo Cornish Cross' from a hatchery and butcher them a few weeks later.LOL

edited to add that I suppose some could say that that is a blue eye, not a pearl eye
lau.gif

Last edited:
Was up to Dad's a week or so back. He had decided it was time to give up his Cornish (large fowl whites), and had contacted a local guy who has meddled in Cornish for several years. I went up to help catch and load the birds. Of the 8 female and 5 males, one female did have a slightly orangish cast to her eye, the rest had good clean light eyes, a few had a almost blue white eye. For the first time in over fifty years there are no Cornish on his place, or chickens of any kind for that matter. But I have a half dozen or so young chicks I hatched late out of his birds (wearing rings) running with my youngsters if he should get to feeling better. Or if he feels like taking a walk on the wild side I could set him up with some colored birds that could use some work.

hi I have a 24 week old cornish bantam pullet that I got from TSC...I have always thought she was a white laced red, but recently I noticed that she is a light shade of blue..is there such thing as a blue laced red cornish bantam? and is that what she is or am I just imagining things? I know she is does not have the best lacing but what do you expect she is from TSC and they dont look for quality birds lol.....here are a couple of pics of her..but they are a little old she is now bigger and the "blue" is a tad darker.

here she is as a day old chick

and this is what she looks like now just the "blue" is darker...like on her neck,
and the tips of her tail feathers and her down feathers on her butt they are all a little darker
now that she has gotten older...I am not sure what color they are but they dont look white to me

Back
Top Bottom