Cornish x's dying

downrangechick

In the Brooder
6 Years
Nov 2, 2013
NE Michigan
I bought 50 X's in October. I have had none die until a couple weeks ago. They are dying like crazy. I've lost 10 total so far. The weird thing is at 10 weeks old they weigh about 2.5lbs. I've gone through 600lbs of food. It's always been the same no changes. All my poultry get the same food and all the rest are doing great. I ferment their feed and put acv in their water. They have always been in a broader, never around any other animals or chickens. A few that died had what looked like mold 1inch all the way around their vent and the one last night that died in my hands had 2 seizures in seconds of each other and had a couple drops of blood by her beak. Some are still not fully feathered and I have 2 that are the size of normal heritage breed chicks at 10 weeks. Did I get a bad batch? Please help!!

This sounds bad, very difficult to say, I personally have never heard of a bad batch after two month;s, a bad batch shows symptoms after a day or two, I will advice to get help from the vet, how is your weather like, cause bronchitis can also be a prob, Sorry, hope you find the problem

Sounds like some sort of viral infection, like Asperogillis perhaps, or a spreadable fungus. Are the seizures right at time of death or prevalent beforehand? Are the chickens showing any respiratory distress? Without more details it would be hard to diagnose, but not gaining weight is a sure indicator that something is wrong. It might be prudent to cull all obviously sick birds.

Things to consider:
Were your birds vaccinated at all?
What kind of bedding do you use? Is it fresh and dry?
Were other bird species housed in your chicken pen before this batch of birds?
Do you disinfect the quarters before a new batch is introduced?

Yes, it's terribly frustrating and heartbreaking when a meatbird project goes awry. Hope you get it straightened out soonly!

Thank you for replying. They weren't vaccinated. I use water troughs for brooders and I disinfected them before I used them. In fact these ones have never been brooders before. This is the first time for chicks in them. I use pine shaving(?) From tractor supply. Not the fine stuff the bigger stuff so they don't eat it. I thoroughly clean them once every few days and on the off days I put a fresh layer down so it stays dry. They have a seizure then die seconds later. I put sulmet in their water just a bit ago. Im praying it works.

Thank you for replying. They weren't vaccinated. I use water troughs for brooders and I disinfected them before I used them. In fact these ones have never been brooders before. This is the first time for chicks in them. I use pine shaving(?) From tractor supply. Not the fine stuff the bigger stuff so they don't eat it. I thoroughly clean them once every few days and on the off days I put a fresh layer down so it stays dry. They have a seizure then die seconds later. I put sulmet in their water just a bit ago. Im praying it works.
That's just part of the dying process. Look up throes of death.

-Kathy

It's happening again!!!! I cleaned and disinfected the brooder, gave them sulmet and everyone was so happy and jumping around like little chickens. We are 5 days into the sulmet and they are acting sad again. No chirping or reaction to food. Last night at feeding I found one dead again. This time her intestines are sticking out her vent a couple inches. What is going on?

Last edited:
Should I give antibiotics along with sulmet.

Sulmet is an antibiotic that is used to treat two of the nine strains of coccidiosis that chickens get.

Source: http://www.drugs.com/vet/sulmet-drinking-water-solution-12-5.html
Sulmet Drinking Water Solution 12.5%

This page contains information on Sulmet Drinking Water Solution 12.5% for veterinary use.
The information provided typically includes the following:
  • Sulmet Drinking Water Solution 12.5% Indications
  • Warnings and cautions for Sulmet Drinking Water Solution 12.5%
  • Direction and dosage information for Sulmet Drinking Water Solution 12.5%
Sulmet Drinking Water Solution 12.5%

This treatment applies to the following species:

Manufacturer: Boehringer Ingelheim
(sulfamethazine sodium)
Drinking Water Solution, 12.5%
Antibacterial
For Animal Use Only
NADA 006-084, Approved by FDA
Convenient once-a-day dosage in drinking water
Prepare fresh solutions daily
For Oral Use in Domestic Animals and Poultry. Not Sterilized.

Sulmet Drinking Water Solution 12.5% Indications

For control and treatment of the following diseases when caused by one or more of the following pathogenic organisms susceptible to sulfamethazine.
For the treatment of:
Cattle:
Bacterial Pneumonia and Bovine Respiratory Disease Complex (Shipping Fever Complex) (Pasteurella spp.)
Colibacillosis (Bacterial Scours) (Escherichia coli)
Necrotic Pododermatitis (Foot Rot) (Fusobacterium necrophorum)
Calf Diphtheria (Fusobacterium necrophorum)
Acute Metritis (Streptococcus spp.)
Beef Cattle: Acute Mastitis (Streptococcus spp.)
Swine: Porcine Colibacillosis (Bacterial Scours) (Escherichia coli)
Bacterial Pneumonia (Pasteurella spp.)
For the control of:
Chickens:
Infectious Coryza (Avibacterium paragallinarum)
Coccidiosis (Eimeria tenella, Eimeria necatrix)
Acute Fowl Cholera (Pasteurella multocida)
Pullorum Disease (Salmonella Pullorum)
Turkeys: Coccidiosis (Eimeria meleagrimitis, Eimeria adenoeides)
Sulmet Drinking Water Solution 12.5% Dosage And Administration

DOSAGE: CATTLE, CALVES AND SWINE
1st day:
6 tablespoons (3 fl oz) for each 100 lb body weight providing approximately 112.5 mg/lb (247.5 mg/kg) body weight.
2nd, 3rd and 4th days: 3 tablespoons (1 1/2 fl oz) for each 100 lb body weight, providing approximately 56.25 mg/lb (123.75 mg/kg) body weight.
Dosage: Poultry: Add 2 tablespoons (1 fl oz) to each gallon of drinking water, or the contents of the 16 fl oz container to 16 gallons, or the contents of the 1 gallon container to 128 gallons. Following administration directions below, this will provide a recommended dose of approximately 61 to 89 mg/lb/day (134 to 196 mg/kg/day) body weight in chickens and 53 to 130 mg/lb/day (117 to 286 mg/kg/day) body weight in turkeys, depending upon the dosage, age and class of chickens or turkeys, ambient temperature, and other factors.
Administration: Cattle, Calves and Swine: Add the required dose given above to that amount of water that will be consumed in 1 day; consumption should be carefully checked. Factors such as temperature, humidity and disease will cause variable fluid intake. As a generalization, the above animals will consume approximately 1 gallon per 100 lb body weight per day.
Administration: Chickens and Turkeys: Add the required dose given above to that amount of water that will be consumed in 1 day. Water consumption should be carefully checked to insure adequate drug intake. As a generalization, 100 turkeys will drink 1 gallon of water per day for each week of age; chickens will consume one-half this amount.
Infectious Coryza (in chickens): Medicate for 2 consecutive days.
Acute Fowl Cholera and Pullorum Disease (in chickens): Medicate for 6 consecutive days.
Coccidiosis (in chickens and turkeys): Medicate as above for 2 days, then reduce amount of Sulmet Drinking Water Solution to one-half above for 4 additional days.
1028218_arrow_left_04.png

Residue Warnings: Do not medicate chickens or turkeys producing eggs for human consumption. To avoid drug residues in edible flesh, withdraw medication from chickens and turkeys ten (10) days prior to slaughter for food.
Treated cattle must not be slaughtered for at least ten (10) days after the last dose. Exceeding five (5) consecutive days of treatment may cause violative tissue residue to remain beyond the withdrawal time. Do not use in calves under one (1) month of age or calves being fed an all-milk diet. Use in these classes of calves may cause violative residues to remain beyond the withdrawal time. Do not use in female dairy cattle 20 months of age or older. Use of sulfamethazine in this class of cattle may cause milk residues.
Withdraw medication from swine fifteen (15) days prior to slaughter for food.
1028218_arrow_right_04.png

Precaution: For best advice in control and treatment of animal disease, consult a veterinarian. Have only medicated water available during treatment, and check carefully to insure adequate Sulmet dosage and water intake. Cattle and calves not drinking or eating must be dosed by drench or with Sulmet Oblets. For best results, treat sick animals individually.
In poultry, consult a veterinarian or poultry pathologist for diagnosis. For control of outbreaks of disease, medication should be initiated as soon as the diagnosis is determined.
Medicated cattle, swine, chickens and turkeys must actually consume enough medicated water which provides the recommended dosages.
Sulmet works fast. If symptoms persist after using this preparation for 2 or 3 days, consult a veterinarian. Excessive dosage may cause toxic reactions. Follow above dosage and administration instructions carefully. Hatchability of eggs laid during medication with sulfas and for short periods thereafter, may be adversely affected.
Treatment of all diseases should be instituted early. Treatment should continue 24 to 48 hours beyond the remission of disease symptoms, but not to exceed a total of 5 consecutive days in cattle or swine.
Store at or below 25°C (77°F). Protect from freezing.
Not for Human Use
Restricted Drug (California) - Use Only as Directed
Manufactured for Boehringer Ingelheim Vetmedica, Inc., St. Joseph, MO 64506 U.S.A.

Net Contents:

NDC

16 Fl Oz (473 mL)

0010-4708-01

11870 D6683A

1 Gallon (3.7 L)

0010-4708-02

11870 D6685A​
NAC No.: 10282181
BOEHRINGER INGELHEIM VETMEDICA, INC.
2621 NORTH BELT HIGHWAY, ST. JOSEPH, MO, 64506-2002

Telephone: 800-325-9167
Fax: 816-236-2717
www.bi-vetmedica.com
www.productionvalues.us
www.prrsresearch.com
www.thinkmetacam.com
www.vetera-vaccines.com
www.vetmedin-us.com
www.yourdogsheart.com
Email: [email protected]
usa_flag.gif
Every effort has been made to ensure the accuracy of the Sulmet Drinking Water Solution 12.5% information published above. However, it remains the responsibility of the readers to familiarize themselves with the product information contained on the US product label or package insert.

Back
Top Bottom