Coronation Split Sussex Roo or Hen?????

Okay, I took some more pics for you to look at. Hopefully, you can tell by these.

34583_coronation_split_sussex_019.jpg

34583_coronation_split_sussex_017.jpg

34583_coronation_split_sussex_009.jpg

34583_coronation_split_sussex_020.jpg

34583_coronation_split_sussex_011.jpg

34583_coronation_split_sussex_009.jpg

In the second photo of the series, I'd say male, but compared to the other male it's either very underdeveloped, or a female. It just seems odd that a female would have wattles that developed and red at that age. The legs don't look as thick as the definite male either, but I would definitely keep a close eye on it.

Are they the same age? I agree that she is quite pink in the comb/wattles for a pullet. Could it be a younger cockerel than the bigger bird?

Quote:
She is smaller in size. I would say that one is 4 weeks and one is 6 weeks, comparing size. Do I need a better picture of her comb and wattles?

Edited: Justin emailed me and he said if she is a Cockerel, he will def. replace for me. He is a very nice guy. He also said that they are both the same age. So, there is no age difference in the two.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have no experiance with the light Sussex, but my Speckled Sussex pullets have basically no red or pink to their combs or wattles at that age. That's quite a bit of color for four weeks old.

I also have to agree with those that believe it may be a cockerel. My pullets' combs at that age showed no color, but the boys did.

I have a light sussex pair and I would have sworn that the pullet was a roo if I didn't have a roo as well. She developed very red comb and wattles early on. Looks like you have a nice pair to me.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom