Coronation Sussex Thread!

First crossing would yield all birds that appear to be Light Sussex, but would actually be carrying Lav/lav (one recessive gene) back crossing to the Coronation would give you 50/50. Crossing the Lav/lav back to one another would give you a mix of Light Sussex, Dominant black with recessive lav, and Coronation with a 2-1-2 ratio.

First crossing would yield all birds that appear to be Light Sussex, but would actually be carrying Lav/lav (one recessive gene) back crossing to the Coronation would give you 50/50. Crossing the Lav/lav back to one another would give you a mix of Light Sussex, Dominant black with recessive lav, and Coronation with a 2-1-2 ratio.

Thank you, I will keep this in my notes.

Geeze, so if we have two boys it's going to take a few seasons to have some breeding Coro pullets. I didn't realise the Coro was a Lav gene. Knowing that changes things a bit for us, going to have to think about that some more.

Thanks for the info, was some great detail.

Last edited:
Maybe we should wait till one of the guys is heading over to barrow island and get some more eggs to you. I'm hoping that they might travel better in cabin luggage. Just have to send George back to his yard. He is sitting on my living room window looking very cute. I'm sure he thinks he is a " house chicken ". He happily follows me back over to the girls and even seems happy to visit with them.

You see that gate behind him? He is supposed to be on the other side of it! I've clipped his wing and given him a serious talking to, but all to no evail.
This is my favorite pic of his babes.

Maybe we should wait till one of the guys is heading over to barrow island and get some more eggs to you. I'm hoping that they might travel better in cabin luggage. Just have to send George back to his yard. He is sitting on my living room window looking very cute. I'm sure he thinks he is a " house chicken ". He happily follows me back over to the girls and even seems happy to visit with them.

You see that gate behind him? He is supposed to be on the other side of it! I've clipped his wing and given him a serious talking to, but all to no evail.
This is my favorite pic of his babes.

He is just incredibly handsome! And the baby, precious. I found this thread a few days ago.
Hoping more breeders get involved, they are difficult to find here. Learning more about them as I go.
I have found 2 individuals that sell eggs and/or chicks. Just a beautiful impressive bird, and will be a wonderful addition to our farm.
I am really more in the planning stages for them at this point (over a year now), hope to add them this year.
I keep a misc egg and meat flock, and also have a few favorite breeds I keep separated from the rest.

Oh I'm sure that you will not regret falling for this breed. King George is probably the nicest roo I have. I just fed him some popcorn. He ever so gently takes it from my open hand, holds it in his beak and calls the young ones in for viddles. He really is a charmer.

The more I read about them, I am very interested in keeping them! I enjoy heritage birds very much, sad to see so many passed up.
The Coronation Sussex and the Lavender Orpington are more a project for me, I love the history, and demeanor of the birds.
Just beautiful, and CS sound to be just as sweet in disposition as the LO, possibly more so!
There are so many breeds forgotten because they are slower to mature. The beauty in them is unmatched, what a shame to lose that!
We keep geese, turkey, peafowl several other species, all the way down to quail.
Livestock as well.. Some are here as pets also, like my geese (alarms), goats (milk).. and the peas, lol, eye candy and flock guardians!
I raise all our food so Its important to me to choose dual purpose animals, but I enjoy the beauty in them all very much.
I want to know they are loved and given a full life.
(And what they ate while they were here with us. Weird things happening out there.)
Sorry to go off topic, am very excited to add them to our farm this spring.

Well dual purpose they definately are. I love your orps, I have toyed with the idea of getting some when I got my blue laced red Wyandotte , another beautiful breed. This is George feeding the blrw.

He is an amazing dad! Its rare to find a roo that attentive to chicks
love.gif

I have GLW in my general flock. They are very hardy birds and excellent DP, no where near as attractive as the BLRW!
I do have a friend thats breeding them a few hours north. We are swapping birds next spring to both have new lines.

Unfortunately George isn't paying much attention to his girls ATM. What with daddy daycare and then there is that lonely GLW that seems to be catching his eye

Not sure I want to find out the results of that cross.

Back
Top Bottom