Coronavirus, Covid 19 Discussion and How It Has Affected Your Daily Life Chat Thread

Ok... chicken related!!!! My question is... WHY? There are two other nest boxes to the side, and three more below. I've had chickens for years...stopped a while..back at it because I thought it would be good during a pandemic....and the hens never change...with the...move over thing.
IMG_20200808_090913.jpg
IMG_20200808_090940.jpg
IMG_20200808_091041.jpg

With seeing this nesting box size issue raised "All The Time" I tried a little 'big picture' type thinking. I enlarged the nest size in anticipation for this crossroads....

I already have pics in the build thread so to save bandwidth I'll toss the numbers up here this way.....

I made 5 boxes under the poop shelf/roosting rail. Left 2 are approximately 24" wide. Right 3 are approximately 18" wide. All are approximately 15" deep.

All are used. Just, not every day.

I can't wait to see how many cases and deaths result from Sturgis. No masks required and the largest mass collection of people in the US since the virus infested America.
I really hope it will be less, especially since many of those people could be taking it home with them.
Has this wave ended? I just thought it got worse. 😳
Honestly I'm not sure we call anything a wave anymore....more like a flood. One that doesn't go away.
Ok... chicken related!!!! My question is... WHY? There are two other nest boxes to the side, and three more below. I've had chickens for years...stopped a while..back at it because I thought it would be good during a pandemic....and the hens never change...with the...move over thing. View attachment 2281788View attachment 2281790View attachment 2281793
Instinct I would imagine.
Groups of eggs are more likely to get sat on by a broody hen vs individual eggs thus better chance for hatching. I doubt they think that...more like "the grass is always greener" probably.
I know when I had turkeys they would purposely keep adding eggs to the broody turkey hen was on. Leaving one hen to do all the work.

We're pondering the safety of pick you own apples/pears right now. We usually do a trip like that every couple years to do canning etc. Wondering if it's gonna be better or worse than just buying from a store.
The cherry orchard next to us had public cherry picking two weekends in a row, people were not wearing masks!

Back
Top Bottom