Coronavirus, Covid 19 Discussion and How It Has Affected Your Daily Life Chat Thread

I tried to post about this over a month ago but, the NPR story I referenced had too much politics in the back story & was deleted. Thanks for finding this version of it.

Yeah. I think I first heard this on NPR myself. But I thought hearing it from the Kansas City Star and the Kansas Dept of Health would be useful.

It's sad that they're so aggressive here at deleting anything with any whiff of an actual point of view. As often as not the facts simply line up in one direction. That's not politics; it's reality and squashing that simply buttresses the irresponsible conspiracists and creates the atmosphere in which they continue to divide the country and hobble effective policy.

So, I felt a pang of sadness as I've an observation / question for y'all:
This pandemic has really put a stop to almost all compassionate neighborly behavior I was raised with and taught to share. How do you feel about this self observation?
(I'm asking around different circles in BYC to see all the different thoughts.)

Er, well, my neighborhood is quiet but not very neighborly anyhow. Most places I've lived in the neighbors have been very non communicative. I wave hi or introduce new dogs to them sometimes or something or pick up/help catch strays on our street or whatever. Every once in a blue moon we get a knock on our door about something easy to resolve. But I only know the name of two people on my whole block and that's about the way it goes for most of the places I've lived. Just because they live in the same area as me doesn't mean we share important world views or moral compasses or hobbies enough to want to interact outside of necessity. That's normal to me.

But in the community groups I'm in including friends ones people have really pulled together. Lots of discussions about mutual aid, pod living and learning, how to support people down on their luck, elderly, etc. Important work and very community focused and beneficial.

Yeah. I think I first heard this on NPR myself. But I thought hearing it from the Kansas City Star and the Kansas Dept of Health would be useful.

It's sad that they're so aggressive here at deleting anything with any whiff of an actual point of view.

Sad, but necessary as many (even me) overreact upon occasion. Not all are rational. In my entire time here at BYC I have blocked 3 people - all of whom eventually exited the forum - some not voluntarily. At the present time I have more than that on block most of them because of attitudes regarding Covid 19.

Only 4 houses, other than mine, in my neighborhood LOL

I take the garbage out for the one next to me. He mows the next neighbors grass and she brings back the empty garbage cans. I plow both of theirs driveways.
The next neighbor sold a lawn service and they plow and mow for her.
We usually don't talk unless necessary anyway LOL

So, I felt a pang of sadness as I've an observation / question for y'all:
This pandemic has really put a stop to almost all compassionate neighborly behavior I was raised with and taught to share. How do you feel about this self observation?
(I'm asking around different circles in BYC to see all the different thoughts.)
Along the same lines, I felt the same lack in my latest classroom. We have spent years teaching our children to share and be kind. I had a kindergarten class where I had to tell the children NOT to share the ball to play catch. A child fell on the asphalt, scraping his knee, and another asked if she could hug him because he was sad. Then there was the excited six-year-old who came racing up to me with a wide grin of recognition, only to stop and melt about three feet in front of me. I asked him what was wrong and he almost cried. "I want to hug you, but I can't. We managed some semblance of a hug (shoulder rub and a "lean," and he was happy, but I fought tears for days over it. I can't help but worry about what this is doing to our children ... and our futures.

How about some good news? It's not on the Covid front but it's good news nonetheless

It’s estimated that in 1830, the humpback population was 27,000. By 1950, there were only 450 of them left. Now, according to a new study published by the Royal Society, decades of protection has boosted the population to about 93% of its pre-exploitation size. Here, Daily Kos staffer David Neiwert plugs us into a humpback symphony.

I was just told, “the nurse said only one person needs tested per household to exit quarantine.” Is that really a thing? I find it very difficult to believe.
I can see the logic behind it, but would be more cautious, my own self. Considering that a household is sharing the same air, if one were infected, the rest would most likely be, as well.

That being said, both my partner and I prefer to get our own covid tests semi-regularly. I mean, I'm the only one that really leaves the house. But it's nice to get two separate "negatives" every once in a while.

Back
Top Bottom