Coronavirus, Covid 19 Discussion and How It Has Affected Your Daily Life Chat Thread

I just saw a documentary from Owen Benjamin, called Bearteria. The folks that follow him are called bears.
What was so cool to me, was folks came from all over the United States to help build a retreat in Idaho. They didn't know each other & came together to work in the woods & build a place for folks to gather.
Owen lives with his family on a farm with chickens, goats, a cow & large garden. What he is trying to do is inspire folks to grow some food & get a little more independent.
Maybe that is a little bit of what we, members of BYC are trying to do.
I found it inspirational.
Bev

This seriously breaks my heart. Are the seniors uninsured, under insured, or just set in their ways? I imagine this is the case in many places. That, along with other factors, makes it nearly impossible to know exactly how many have it and to keep it from spreading. Today is the first time I've heard anyone admit that it's worse/deadlier than the flu. It seems like people are either terrified over it or they're annoyed with everyone over reacting about it. I know we have some cases here in NC and yes, I'm worried about it. My mom, dad and myself all have compromised immune systems. The only product that I've had difficulty finding is some N95 face masks. I did end up finding a box of them but it was the last box. I needed the masks for spraying my coops and duck house, so the masks ended up being a little more than double the price of the permethrin.
Oh my. Masks used to be so inexpensive. Guess it's the market.

I just want to say, I trust my God given immune system. I understand some folks are compromised with various illnesses. I don't have any of them.
I find in curious that the well are being targeted(?).
I'm also concerned that these shots seem to be pushed so hard. Lottery tickets, hamburgers, and other incentives. Why is this happening?
I just can't make sense of any of it. We are getting so many mixed messages, if you look at it from the start. Masks don't help, then wear 2 of them.
We live in interesting times, I think.

Thats like saying that a dog is blue and therefore all dogs are blue.
?
Did you read the articles?
The virus has to mutate from the original to be a variant. It's still Cov-2 and within that virus lineage.

This study explains mutations along with the variants especially pages 4-6:
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC8137987/

Here is an article defining mutations and variants with regards to covid:
https://achi.net/newsroom/defining-covid-19-terms-mutation-vs-variant/

A couple of paragraphs within the article linked above:

Once a virus enters our bodies, it attaches to our cells and releases its own genetic information. Unlike bacteria that can reproduce on their own, viruses rely on our cells to create copies of themselves, a process scientists call viral replication. As a virus infects more people and continues creating these copies, there are small copying errors that occur over time. These copying errors are called mutations and change the virus’ genetic information. It is normal for viruses to mutate over time. Some mutations may weaken the virus or have no noticeable effect on the virus at all, but some may make the virus more dangerous to people. Because the novel coronavirus has continued to spread to so many people throughout the world, there have been plenty of opportunities for mutations to occur.

As these mutations take place, new versions of a virus develop and begin infecting more people. These new versions of the virus are called variants. In the B.1.1.7 variant there are 17 different mutations of the virus’ genetic information. Eight of those mutations occur on the virus’ spike protein — the part of the virus that attaches to our cells. While we do not know whether the B.1.1.7 variant is more likely to cause severe illness or death, scientists with the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and other experts have warned the variant is more easily spread than the original virus. On March 2, Gov. Asa Hutchinson announced during his weekly COVID-19 update that one B.1.1.7 variant case had been identified in Arkansas. The CDC stated on its website that 46 other U.S. states had reported B.1.1.7 variant cases as of Feb. 28.

I just want to say, I trust my God given immune system. I understand some folks are compromised with various illnesses. I don't have any of them.
Neither did my wife's cousin and his wife. They are now dead from Covid.

I'm also concerned that these shots seem to be pushed so hard. Lottery tickets, hamburgers, and other incentives. Why is this happening?
I just can't make sense of any of it. We are getting so many mixed messages, if you look at it from the start. Masks don't help, then wear 2 of them.
We live in interesting times, I think.
Well if one doesnt work than TWO will. Two is more than one so two is better than one.
SCIENCE!!
:lau

?
Did you read the articles?
The virus has to mutate from the original to be a variant. It's still Cov-2 and within that virus lineage.

This study explains mutations along with the variants especially pages 4-6:
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC8137987/

Here is an article defining mutations and variants with regards to covid:
https://achi.net/newsroom/defining-covid-19-terms-mutation-vs-variant/

A couple of paragraphs within the article linked above:

Once a virus enters our bodies, it attaches to our cells and releases its own genetic information. Unlike bacteria that can reproduce on their own, viruses rely on our cells to create copies of themselves, a process scientists call viral replication. As a virus infects more people and continues creating these copies, there are small copying errors that occur over time. These copying errors are called mutations and change the virus’ genetic information. It is normal for viruses to mutate over time. Some mutations may weaken the virus or have no noticeable effect on the virus at all, but some may make the virus more dangerous to people. Because the novel coronavirus has continued to spread to so many people throughout the world, there have been plenty of opportunities for mutations to occur.

As these mutations take place, new versions of a virus develop and begin infecting more people. These new versions of the virus are called variants. In the B.1.1.7 variant there are 17 different mutations of the virus’ genetic information. Eight of those mutations occur on the virus’ spike protein — the part of the virus that attaches to our cells. While we do not know whether the B.1.1.7 variant is more likely to cause severe illness or death, scientists with the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and other experts have warned the variant is more easily spread than the original virus. On March 2, Gov. Asa Hutchinson announced during his weekly COVID-19 update that one B.1.1.7 variant case had been identified in Arkansas. The CDC stated on its website that 46 other U.S. states had reported B.1.1.7 variant cases as of Feb. 28.
Sorry I havent had time to respond to this. https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.fo.../coronavirus-covid-variant-mutant-strain/amp/
In general I dont trust the info the CDC puts out without doing my own research. Tldr:
"Importantly, ‘mutant’ and ‘strain’ can only apply to organisms, not outcomes. Saying “Covid mutant” or “Covid strain” is grammatically incorrect and makes you sound like an idiot."
"
Scientifically speaking, a mutant is the result of a mutation — a change in the genetic material (DNA or RNA) and produces something new. That mutation may have never appeared before, or has reappeared in a population’s gene pool, so it’s a genetic variant that’s either novel or only occurs rarely. A mutant has mutated relative to another type that’s considered common and ‘normal’, or ‘wild type‘.

So almost by definition, mutants are either recent or rare. As soon as a new mutant emerges, the clock starts ticking toward a day when they’re no longer news. That means a Coronavirus is only a ‘mutant’ if it mutated recently. Think about your own heritage: if a mutation arose in your ancestor, that doesn’t make you a mutant too."

Back
Top Bottom