Coronavirus, Covid 19 Discussion and How It Has Affected Your Daily Life Chat Thread

He said it's about every three shifts right now he has to de-escalate a situation between a really ignorant customer and some random asian person that's usually not even Chinese because some Karen felt the need to blame every single asian in the world for a virus that's in almost every nation.

Frankly I worry my chances of being assaulted for being "the wrong race in the wrong place" is higher than actually catching anything...

I'm not sure if people are aware, but this is why many Asian Americans are iffy about wearing masks even if CDC recommends it, because it makes them look "infected."

Got contacted by a friend last night. He's in nursing school, about 6mo out from finishing. All his courses got cancelled in their entirety.

I thought I read in some areas they're having students with 1 year or less on finishing as well as retired doctors and nurses pitch in, is that not an option in your area, if he wanted to do that?

Obviously it'd put him on the front lines but with staffing shortages are only going to get worse as cases keep climbing.

People are lining up to buy seedlings and seeds and seed companies are reporting 300% increases in their orders. https://www.huffpost.com/entry/seeds-crisis-gardening-coronavirus-food_n_5e85eca0c5b6f55ebf492212

I'm happy to say my garden is mostly in.

My local nursery has started doing "to-go" orders, strictly for veggie starts and a few things to start an edible garden, like bagged soils and basic tools. They're still letting people shop inside but you need to make an appointment for that. I plan on making an appointment some time in the near future (need to replace a blueberry and pick up a Sungold tomato), but it's still pretty chilly out, and I have enough seeds for the year, so I'll hold off for now.

https://apple.news/AO3Ts4GvWTOSPX7RAaQXSkw
Three hospitals less than 45 minutes from me have closed in less than fifteen years. I hadn’t thought about the insanity of old hospitals sitting empty in areas that could use the space.
As far as new Orleans theres no way they could open charity in time and allocate the funds required as opposed to opening an overflow hospital in the convention center. I know that for a fact. I couldn't imagine just what the cost of cooling charity would be.

My sister keeps some chopsticks as a souvenir of the time when one could walk into a restaurant with friends, sit down and eat.

We have reached the point in life where we eat out a fair amount. We are very concerned about our favorite wait staff.

Frankly I worry my chances of being assaulted for being "the wrong race in the wrong place" is higher than actually catching anything...

I have two adopted grand daughters who happen to be Asian. It is only recently that they have been made to feel 'different'. :(

We made a quick trip for a few necessities today. I noticed that there are a lot more people wearing masks than there have been. When we took the dogs to the park for a walk the playgrounds are cordoned off and there are park rangers making the rounds. City councils are considering thumbing their noses at the governor and imposing stricter rules. It's getting interesting.

There are other creatures suffering due to the crisis.

I think a lot of shelters around here are having people do extended home fosters, since pets cannot currently be adopted out. The hope is, with new fosters in system, that some of the pets might get adopted outright once they're able to do so again, and if nothing else, it's more foster homes potentially available in the future.

No such thing

x2. I find the timing of the previous comment especially interesting given sourland's post immediately above it.

I think a lot of shelters around here are having people do extended home fosters, since pets cannot currently be adopted out. The hope is, with new fosters in system, that some of the pets might get adopted outright once they're able to do so again, and if nothing else, it's more foster homes potentially available in the future.

x2. I find the timing of the previous comment especially interesting given sourland's post immediately above it.
Actually the last post I read was something about a garden. My internet has been really slow lately and loads kinda weird. I would definitely admit it if that was the case.

Back
Top Bottom