Coronavirus, Covid 19 Discussion and How It Has Affected Your Daily Life Chat Thread

Y'all......
In my regular waking in the middle of an anxiety attack (had them for decades) I lay awake with my mind wandering....

It occurred to me I had beading wire somewhere.....I went and dug it out. It will work for nose wires!!!! Then my fleece stash! Perfect for making ties or ear loops!
:barnie So freaking obvious!
Brilliant!
I have some really thin gauge wire I use outside to "sew" field fencing together and had wondered if it would work. I never thought of jewelry wire. I had looked at my fleece stash for the removable filter piece.
Up north I used to make and wear fleece bandanas to keep my face warm and filter hay and stall cleaning dust particles, though I don't think it's dense enough for a virus.
But for ties, oh heck yeah!
:highfive:

@BDutch
That's some hopeful news. I've seen a few reports out of other countries that show they are getting over the curve and seeing the results of stringent social distancing, which is encouraging.
I also wonder though...some countries have seen a slight rise in cases again after listing restrictions, which is to be expected, but given Americans desire to do what they want, when they want, if breaking out of the restrictions might be harder for us.
I'm hopeful we (as a whole) will be cautious when the time comes and not go hog wild.

ETA: And I too hope this will make us all look at our habits and how they impact the environment. The reports I've seen on how much this has changed pollution, in a real way that real people can see in real time should change some people's hearts.

:lau as big as you!?
Ok, I realize that's not saying very much.....:gig
But yeah. This is not me, but this person is taller than me and you can see her compared to the machine (a 1/4 of her, the backside, is missing from the pic too), which is sitting on a 12' long table. True longarms are big machines that move freely over a quilt that is stretched onto a quilting frame.

Edit: typos

1586177862206.png

Last edited:
The word may in here means it's not 100% proven. I would like for someone to say it's proven not it may or maybe.

I wear a mask when I'm out in public, but I'm not going insane over this. I wouldn't spend my last days worrying over it. I do what they say to do and that to me is following what I should... Isolate, wash your hands, and wear a mask when in public.
I think you're going to be disappointed in that regard for a while. I'm somewhat worried. We have 2 adults with jobs that make them necessary so staying home and isolated isn't an option for them, which exposes the rest of us to the possibility of getting sick.

I'll stick with normal masks, no thanks on home made or other concoctions. Don't get me wrong, I realize something might be better than nothing, but realistically those cloth masks are doing much.

Testing things is a great way to see how well they work!

😳
I don't understand most of what he is saying, though the video is quite clear....but does he say what the last 2 masks are made of? The ones right before the round N95 that the aerosol does not go through?

😳
I don't understand most of what he is saying, though the video is quite clear....but does he say what the last 2 masks are made of? The ones right before the round N95 that the aerosol does not go through?

I am not sure what language that is. Maybe a fellow BYCer will speak it and translate! :)

Judging by the straps on those last masks and the workmanship, they are all surgical masks. The first bunch look handmade.

Came across the video and thought it was excellent for a lot of reasons. Thought it was a little suspicious they are telling people to wear scarves, tshirts, anything, but the fact remains those will not block much. I have a few dust masks (one is n95) for cutting wood indoors, I can barely breathe wearing those things, that's how tight the mesh/filter is.

Brilliant!
I have some really thin gauge wire I use outside to "sew" field fencing together and had wondered if it would work. I never thought of jewelry wire. I had looked at my fleece stash for the removable filter piece.
Up north I used to make and wear fleece bandanas to keep my face warm and filter hay and stall cleaning dust particles, though I don't think it's dense enough for a virus.
But for ties, oh heck yeah!
:highfive:

I just had hubs test out my heavy fleece....he said he can breathe through it.
He wants a test filter to try it out and see if it is to hot before I go cutting up my stash.
Great idea, it won't fray, not much if any light shines through so.....every layer of protection makes the masks better in my opinion.

Also remembering having saved the wire that wrapped my hardware cloth rolls......someplace.....

No 'apex' in sight here in NJ. A tiger in the Bronx zoo has tested positive for Covid 19 and others are apparently ill. If this virus has mutated to the point that it affects multi species we are screwed. Beware the coughing squirrel.
Not overly concerned about social distancing with tigers tbh.
Apparently many animals carry versions of corona virus. It's a funny thing about science. Once it's decided to look for something, sure enough it turns up. Mostly it's been there all the time but we haven't looked before. A bit like the current virus.

Back
Top Bottom