Coronavirus, Covid 19 Discussion and How It Has Affected Your Daily Life Chat Thread

Beautiful day today! Got my front garden weeded and none too soon. The thistle was taller than the azalea! That oughta teach me to let it go so long ... but it won't!
I hadn't intended to weed today, but I needed the therapy. I lost the entire hatch of Nankin egglets. Out of nine, four got tossed Sunday as quitters. One stayed because I wasn't sure, but it had probably already quit, too. Two looked ready, but didn't show movement, Sunday. By Monday morning, they were both dead, shrinkwrapped. That left me with two. One didn't make it to internal pip. The other was tapping at me, last night, but was dead in the shell this morning - a perfect little baby. I should have just gone with my gut and assisted on Sunday. At least those last three or four would have had a chance. except for three under Gem, a first-time broody bantam Cochin, those were likely my last Nankin eggs for awhile. I only have one Nanny laying reliably, right now. The others are either well into retirement (not laying anymore) or still in the brooder. I may put Evie's eggs under Gem as she lays them and remove them when and if the others hatch. At least they'll have had a good start under a broody before I put them into the 'Bator of Death. .
In the meantime, I think I'll go cry now. I feel so AWFUL.

Beautiful day today! Got my front garden weeded and none too soon. The thistle was taller than the azalea! That oughta teach me to let it go so long ... but it won't!
I hadn't intended to weed today, but I needed the therapy. I lost the entire hatch of Nankin egglets. Out of nine, four got tossed Sunday as quitters. One stayed because I wasn't sure, but it had probably already quit, too. Two looked ready, but didn't show movement, Sunday. By Monday morning, they were both dead, shrinkwrapped. That left me with two. One didn't make it to internal pip. The other was tapping at me, last night, but was dead in the shell this morning - a perfect little baby. I should have just gone with my gut and assisted on Sunday. At least those last three or four would have had a chance. except for three under Gem, a first-time broody bantam Cochin, those were likely my last Nankin eggs for awhile. I only have one Nanny laying reliably, right now. The others are either well into retirement (not laying anymore) or still in the brooder. I may put Evie's eggs under Gem as she lays them and remove them when and if the others hatch. At least they'll have had a good start under a broody before I put them into the 'Bator of Death. .
:hugs I'm so sorry to hear that! My condolences to you.

So sorry

:hugs:hugs
I'm so sorry.

I'd offer to curse the egg gods for you but, well..... I don't think it would be wise to piss them off even more. I saw today on another thread where a person posted that she had noticed that this year (so far) has seemed to be an off year for hatches, and that people were posting a lot about hatch problems.
Maybe it helps to know you are not the only one?

So sorry, it's always awful when they don't hatch properly.

Back
Top Bottom