Coronavirus, Covid 19 Discussion and How It Has Affected Your Daily Life Chat Thread

I really wish I could do that :( either I wait til work calls me back or I find somewhere else. Like hmm gee which covid outbreak kind of workplace do I want or can I find? Before shutdown they made zero changes for the health safety of anyone, in fact they went the opposite way. Moved us closer together into a smaller more confined shared airspace. I went from having no one within 10 feet of me to having 5 people in less than 5 feet around me. They closed us down from 3 bathrooms to 1 forcing 50 employees to share one bathroom, removed hand sanitizing stations, laid off the cleaning lady etc. Executive orders came out requiring employers to temp and symptom check their employees twice daily they never did that and sick people continued to show up for work. Scary place to have to return to :(
Wow, that does not sound like a healthy place to work. Sorry to hear they were/are so careless with their employees. Hopefully something better will come along for you.
I'm too sensitive - I overheat easily and humidity causes me to break out in rashes, but I suffer from chilblains as well, so if it's below 55 or so I have to wear gloves, even if the rest of me is in shorts and a tank top (since I can overheat just because of the gloves). Hubby jokes that I'd be best suited to living in some sci-fi-esque bubble that's maintained at a constant 65F.
A 65F bubble sounds perfect to me! Add a good soaking rain about once a week to keep plants and the garden healthy and I'm in paradise!

@SnapdragonQ tell me if you read anything good. I need to occupy my brain somehow. The tv isn’t my cup of tea so books are my go to.
I read mostly non-fiction right now and prefer fiction in actual book form on the rare occasions I have time to enjoy that, but they have magazines and audio books too. Maybe movies... I haven't dived too deep into the media offerings.
Audio books are nice to have on while I'm working on something, like painting. So. Many. Walls. And. Cupboards..... 🥴

Dana Stabenow does a good series of mysteries set in Alaska among the modern native Aleuts. Because the author is from the area the characters details are rich and engaging, even for a light read. It's the Kate Shugak series.
The audio books are great because the voice actress nails the language quirks and accents.

I read mostly non-fiction right now and prefer fiction in actual book form on the rare occasions I have time to enjoy that, but they have magazines and audio books too. Maybe movies... I haven't dived too deep into the media offerings.
Audio books are nice to have on while I'm working on something, like painting. So. Many. Walls. And. Cupboards..... 🥴

Dana Stabenow does a good series of mysteries set in Alaska among the modern native Aleuts. Because the author is from the area the characters details are rich and engaging, even for a light read. It's the Kate Shugak series.
The audio books are great because the voice actress nails the language quirks and accents.
I haven’t dove into Overdrive too much either. I did get a few books though.

Im reading Where the Crawdads Sing... it was available so I snagged it instantly. On Kindle Unlimited, you had to pay for it, it wasn’t part of the unlimited. I have 21 days to read it, but I’m sure I’ll finish in 3 days.

I had to put my name on a waitlist for a lot of the books I wanted. A lot of them I’m #100+ in line:th

Does Tony the Tiger still stand outside the old factory? Is the old factory even still there? I used to LOVE the tours through there. What a thrill for a little kid! My Gramma lived in Anne Arbor for her last few years. And I spent many a summer on Oda Street in Flint with my Aunt and her family. I also LOVED Mackinac Island ... and I know that it's MackiNAW, not MackinNACK!
Most of what's left of my Michigander family is centered around Davison ... all cousins and their families. I LOVE that little town. Last time I was there, about two years ago, the soda fountain was still there. Pretty neat! The rest of the northern contingent is right next door, in Wausau, WI, but I'm not really in touch with them anymore.
Sigh ... now I miss everybody all over again. Still, it's really nice to remember!

I really wish I could do that :( either I wait til work calls me back or I find somewhere else. Like hmm gee which covid outbreak kind of workplace do I want or can I find? Before shutdown they made zero changes for the health safety of anyone, in fact they went the opposite way. Moved us closer together into a smaller more confined shared airspace. I went from having no one within 10 feet of me to having 5 people in less than 5 feet around me. They closed us down from 3 bathrooms to 1 forcing 50 employees to share one bathroom, removed hand sanitizing stations, laid off the cleaning lady etc. Executive orders came out requiring employers to temp and symptom check their employees twice daily they never did that and sick people continued to show up for work. Scary place to have to return to :(
Do you dare tell us where in the world you work? I'll be sure not to patronize them, given the option!

@SnapdragonQ tell me if you read anything good. I need to occupy my brain somehow. The tv isn’t my cup of tea so books are my go to.
If you like historical fiction and Sci-Fi Fantasy, I've got a good one. It's called "His Majesty's Dragon," by Naomi Novik. It's the first in the Temeraire series. It's unlike any dragon story I''ve ever read. It's set in the time of the Napoleonic Wars, and the characters of the backstory and some of the main drama are real and historically accurate - Lord Nelson and the Battle of Trafalgar being among them. As a completely inadequate description, imagine the Napoleonic Wars where everyone had an Air Force ... of military officers and their dragons! It sounds "cutesy" but it's not. It's VERY well done! Totally escape-from-today's-reality worthy!

Then there's The Mortal Instruments Series (Cassandra Claire) - actually a series of series. It starts with "City of Bones," and it's Harry Potter-ish set in modern day New York. Did you know that there are tiny fairies living in the bushes of Central Park ... and that they BITE!? After reading this series ... I'm hard pressed not to be on the lookout for the nasty little buggers in my own local park!

Does Tony the Tiger still stand outside the old factory? Is the old factory even still there? I used to LOVE the tours through there. What a thrill for a little kid! My Gramma lived in Anne Arbor for her last few years. And I spent many a summer on Oda Street in Flint with my Aunt and her family. I also LOVED Mackinac Island ... and I know that it's MackiNAW, not MackinNACK!
Most of what's left of my Michigander family is centered around Davison ... all cousins and their families. I LOVE that little town. Last time I was there, about two years ago, the soda fountain was still there. Pretty neat! The rest of the northern contingent is right next door, in Wausau, WI, but I'm not really in touch with them anymore.
Sigh ... now I miss everybody all over again. Still, it's really nice to remember!
Factory bldg was never town down after they shut it down and moved everything inside to Mexico. The Headquarters on the other hand is still there. Tony & Tony Jr. Have never left the entrance circle driveway to my knowledge. Last time I was there..... 3-4 yrs ago. I have to admit that if I return this summer/fall it will be massively bittersweet. Negative family scars, produced by my brother & SIL & the last 'step-dad' who shall remain nameless.
I'm still disgusted on their actions and I'm doing my level best to "forgive" my brother..... My SIL is not part of that effort.

So onna happy note I do have a handful of really close cousins that I expect to see IF I dongonup there.

If you like historical fiction and Sci-Fi Fantasy, I've got a good one. It's called "His Majesty's Dragon," by Naomi Novik. It's the first in the Temeraire series. It's unlike any dragon story I''ve ever read. It's set in the time of the Napoleonic Wars, and the characters of the backstory and some of the main drama are real and historically accurate - Lord Nelson and the Battle of Trafalgar being among them. As a completely inadequate description, imagine the Napoleonic Wars where everyone had an Air Force ... of military officers and their dragons! It sounds "cutesy" but it's not. It's VERY well done! Totally escape-from-today's-reality worthy!

Then there's The Mortal Instruments Series (Cassandra Claire) - actually a series of series. It starts with "City of Bones," and it's Harry Potter-ish set in modern day New York. Did you know that there are tiny fairies living in the bushes of Central Park ... and that they BITE!? After reading this series ... I'm hard pressed not to be on the lookout for the nasty little buggers in my own local park!
The reason i love reading is because it takes me away from this world into another.

Only issue I have is finding authors who can really detail a story enough that it blows my mind. So far Where the Crawdads Sing is a complete hit for me. Some say they didn’t like it, but the details in it are great and I feel like I’m right in the story every time I read it!

I do want to read the True Blood series because I really loved the show when it was on. I started watching it when I was hospitalized and it made me forget about the pain. I’m hoping the books do the same!

Back
Top Bottom