Coronavirus, Covid 19 Discussion and How It Has Affected Your Daily Life Chat Thread

I need the actual book in my hands! Had a Kindle, didn't like it. Audio books are fine, unless abridged, hate that too.
I also haven't read Alice in Wonderland, but found Jane Austin, wonderful!
Mary
I guess I’m the complete opposite. I read 3 books or so at a time. Carrying them would be difficult if I’m out for the day. I do buy books I know I’ll read over and over again.

I miss the library, and loved browsing bookstores, especially the used book sections. Sometime in the future I'll feel safe going there again; meanwhile, I did order a couple of paperbacks online. Not enough, but there it is.
Mary
I just got a library card for the public library. I can’t use it for anything but going online to get books for my kindle but I will be going once they open on a day that won’t be busy. Maybe once everyone goes back to work.

...but...but...but... I can't touch the pages. I can't smell the paper. I can't smudge the ink. I can't feel the raised lettering on the jacket. :tongue
😂😂😂 I will never surrender my kindle. It has helped me so much these past few months and now that I have access to my library I can read much more than I was. I never have to pay for a book again.

I guess it’s nice when you’ve become a complete hermit that companies and businesses have accommodated different types of customers through all this mess.

I’m glad I bought my Chromebook when I did.

See... that’s why I don’t like physical books. My dream house would have shelves from the floor to the ceiling for book storage... in reality I hate clutter so if I bought 20+ books a month I’d drive myself insane😂
You see I avoid this problem fairly well considering... well ok no I don't, I have a lot of books. BUT I have a pretty stinking awesome used bookstore that I go to. Aisles and aisles and aisles of books! Bring in my used books, pick out new books to read, pay for most of that with store credit. Some people complain about them being pricey but I've found many books for 50 cents or less. Or just keep looking sometimes I find the same book priced lower :celebrate.
I guess that's why I'm that person....you know...the one you see regularly going in and out of the library struggling to carry a large canvas bag full of books that weights more than the person dragging it to the car.
Could never afford all the books I do have if it weren't for the used outlets I frequent and nearly all the fiction I consume are library books, paper or audio. Don't think I've ever read a fiction kindle book cover to cover because like many of you guys I'm a tactile book person. I like holding the book in my hands, seeing how many pages are left, turning the pages in anticipation....the complete tactile experience.

Never read Alice in Wonderland. I know...*gasp*....
That was me too once upon a time lol! My library had a 6 book limit though :( And they had this silly age limit thing on some books. Like I think you had to be at least 16 to check out "Interview with a Vampire" and I was such a bad kid that I managed to get away with it one time. Only took like 4 attempts... I don't think I've ever finished a kindle book either. I have prime and had one of the first kindle things that came out but it is just wasted on me. Downloaded a crochet pattern book once though!

Oops I meant Through the Looking Glass not Jabberwocky. Someone asked if it was as good as the movies. Honestly I can't really remember them I get the impression I was confused most of the time. I really enjoyed the Chronicles of Narnia series. Oh and Nancy Drew but I hate whatever it is they put out on tv. I thought it would be something cool to watch with my daughter and about 15 minutes in I was like wow this is NOTHING like the books. Does anyone else feel like movies rarely live up to the book?

lol ya'll are calling out books that I read back in elementary school. The unabridged versions. Black Beauty, Sense and Sensibility, Jane Eyre, The Invisible Man, The Time Machine, Tom Sawyer, Huckleberry Finn - loved Mark Twain books, Chronicles of Narnia - Alice in Wonderland - The Jaberwocky, Count of Monte Cristo, The Secret Garden, Robinson Crusoe, Treasure Island, Oliver Twist... among others already mentioned.

Man when I was growing up if it had words on paper anywhere in the house I read it. National Geographic, Readers Digest, and "Laughter is the Best Medicine" were other go to's. I do not like digital books I've tried. There's just something about having a physical book in hand, used is great or cramp your hand holding open a new book and dog earring the pages when I want to or breaking the spine by leaving it laying open all the time lol oh well.
The Wind in the Willows! As a child. it was my absolute FAVORITE book ... and it still is! I identify completely with Moley!
The first "real book" that was absolutely mine was A Child's Garden of Verses. Mom used to read that to me every night, and it was my incentive to read on my own. She promised me that, when I learned how to read it on my own, it was mine. I still have it, and it's still my goto when I need a few calming minutes.

Back
Top Bottom