Coronavirus, Covid 19 Discussion and How It Has Affected Your Daily Life Chat Thread

Cases are starting to spike in my immediate area and the local mayors and county heads are mandating masks because people have been ignoring the statewide mandates. Area hospitals are concerned at how fast they are filling up as well.

The school district finally put out a statement that we are doing the two days in class/two days distance schedule, alternating groups A and B. Full distance was not an option for students with health issues, but they said more information will be coming "soon." 😕

Unfortunately, not allowing some kids to distance-learn makes sense when you consider all the extra work it means for already overloaded teachers. Your best option may be to pull kiddo completely and home-school. There's a great support system for home-schooling - and I'm willing to bet that it'll be stronger than ever, now!

We're not seeing spikes nearby, but Maryland numbers in general are slowly beginning to rise. DD graduated this year (that was really tough on her!) so we don't have public schools to worry about anymore (except for my now non-existent job!) DD was supposed to go away to college, but the virus really spooked her. She has opted to stay local for her first two years, instead. Her Fall classes are completely online, which suits her just fine, for now!
Stay safe, everybody ... it looks like the next round is stepping up!

Cases are slowly increasing in my area, though still proportionally instead of spiking so that's a decent sign at least. That might change when the students come back in the fall; my university is letting each department decide if classes should be online, in person, or a mix, and regardless all freshmen are required to live on campus anyway. Thankfully my program is entirely online for the Fall, and I will have completed the course work portion of my Masters by the end of the year. Everyone's on edge though, lots of sudden changes and conflicting info on top of students wanting to party regardless of social distancing requirements.

DH's work has him in the office most days because he's essential, but there aren't a lot of people in the building so he's pretty safe.

Teachers are really in a rough spot and some are expected to take retirement rather than risk exposing themselves to daily covid threats. Headlice and colds/flu are bearable! Districts are stuck trying to cover all bases with not too much time.
Brain drain when teachers retire also.
I worked at a college, in facility services, State retirement was changing in 2012....and everyone retired in droves. Lots of knowledge was lost and the place didn't run smoothly for a couple years.

Cases here are also slowly rising. But what did they think was going to happen when the powers that be that run this town are allowing so many summer activities and gatherings to go on as planned.

I thought this graph was interesting. This happened in NC the outcome of a family gathering with about 2 dozen people there, no masks and no social distancing. 14 people got sick and continued with there lives until they showed symptoms and this is what happened. I wonder how many of those they infected, in turn did the same and how many more they have now infected????

68c09ff9b6804fc4e71ebb1e2e3b9d5c.png

It seems to me that time not at school can be interesting and educational too, especially when the alternative might mean many more illnesses and deaths this year. Is that better?
Mary
yes --but her peer interactions have been so limited due to quarantine. And around here it's rural. She has been bonding more with the chickens!!

yes --but her peer interactions have been so limited due to quarantine. And around here it's rural. She has been bonding more with the chickens!!
I grew up being 10 yrs younger than the neighbors kids, which were cousins. The first time I interacted with someone my age was kindergarten. I thought they were horrible, mean and since I was used to wrestling with my brother and cousins, I didn't take any guff. First girl sent to the principal's office for fighting. Some older boys found a bird's nest on the cow pasture fence line. They were pulling the wings off the poor thing. I told them they had to eat what they killed. Grabbed the body, wrestled the ring leader down and shoved it in his mouth. :yesss: I was proud of myself because they left the birds alone after that. Principal wasn't to sure who's side he was on...2 wrongs don't make a right.

Back
Top Bottom