Coronavirus, Covid 19 Discussion and How It Has Affected Your Daily Life Chat Thread

Finally giving the hens their extended "free range" in our fenced in small (inner) back yard.

I wanted something to see, experience that was "good" after my cautiously optimistic view yesterday lunchtime was deflated last night when I got back to check on them and find the silkie chickie that seemed to have stabilized had gotten a lot worse and another of the chicks was starting to show a hint of a wabble while walking around by late.(nearly midnight?) I posted in the silkie tag team thread....

Well woke this morning early thinking I'll get ahead of the game with both the Chickie's.... Nope. They both passed in their sleep by the looks of it all.

So back to the "good" here's the girls leasurely exploring the yard for their 3rd outing....

View attachment 2278992

View attachment 2279001
Nice kicks 👟

And sorry for your losses :hugs

Our Girl Scouts sucked too. I think it’s just the organization as a whole. Still a bit sexist. We also went to like this one extremely boring history museum/library thing. And I like history. But this museum barely had anything in it and was awful lol

Later on in high school my friends actually started a Venture Scout crew here which is kinda like co ed Boy Scouts except way cooler lol except we couldn’t get any of the guys to join it 😂🤣😤 so it was just my friends and I doing what we wanted and kinda fun haha

I think now though they allow girls into Boy Scouts??? Which is cool and all but there was already a co ed one 😂🤣 I guess not with the same badges and stuff though but still.
Venture Scouting is part of BSA, but a whole different animal. The biggest down side to Venturing was - and still is - that the minimum age is fourteen. But, that flips to a positive, because Boy Scouts age out at eighteen, but Venturing continues to twenty-one.

Yeah that’s true!! We never really did like any of the big trips or stuff like that or like official but we did go to like Adventure Bound and indoor sky diving and do some other cool stuff haha but yeah def not quite the same!

And yeah I think they only just approved it last year although I think Cub Scouts they were let in the year before but now everybody can and get the Eagle etc.

And yeah it’s awesome!! :love I know the boys were always off doing cool things and we were stuck here lol

Although my friends family would sometimes go with the scouts on hikes and stuff lol cause they were all friends and everything.
You gals were in the wrong troop! My girls did everything the Big Boys did ... and then some, even as kids. As a leader, we went on some awfully cool trips and did some really neat projects. My girls were definitely NOT the sit-home-and-sew type. Did we sew? yup. Even my boys needed to know how to mend their own clothes and sew on a button ... and a merit badge or rank patch. It's a life skill. But in sewing class, we moved from reattaching buttons to making a tent-pole carry bag out of an old pair of jeans. They were SO proud of their work ... and they had a right to be!

the success of the girl scout troop is solely based on the leader. I was a leader, and here in NY we got zero start up help from the Girl Scout Council. All they wanted was to distribute their frequent fundraiser info for the troop to be mules for funds that minimally benefitted the girls. I had to buy my own flags, supplies, badges, etc. To recoup this, you were supposed to charge dues. The cookies are way overpriced, and the troop gets very little for all the ordering, hauling, collecting, banking. I spent a LOT of my own money

Very strange turn of events on the COVID thread.

Since y'all brought up Boy Scouts of America, I found it interesting that my Son1, who earned his Eagle Scout Badge over 10 years ago, sent his Eagle Badge back to the Scouts and rescinded his membership because of their blatant mismanagement and departure from the original ideals of BSA.

Over the past number of years, when I see the Boy Scouts at the local grocery store raising money by selling popcorn or whatever it is they sell, I always ask each boy if they can do as many pushups as their age and if they can tie a certain knot. If they can, I will give their Troop $100.

NONE of them have "earned" my offer. Most of the time, their mommy's are there to defend the boys and often critisize my offer as unrealistic and cruel.

I usually tell the mommy's that I will discuss it with their husbands...if they have husbands. The "fathers" never seem to be present.
Very sad state of affairs.
It 's a sad state of affairs. It's also a shame that Son1 felt he had to return his badge. The work he did to earn it isn't lessened by the current shifts.He can always be proud of what he did,even if he doesn't agree with what they are, now. Once and Eagle, Always an Eagle!

Personally, I think the offer to the Scouts is a neat one, but it should be directed at the Boy Scout level, not the Cubbies. From the start, Cubs have always been female led (remember Den Mothers?) That was mainly because Dad's were out working and Moms had charge of the youngsters of either gender.

On an interesting note, the original Scouts - created back in England by Lord Baden-Powell, were open to both genders and was known simply as "Scouting." Gender differentiation started when Juliette Lowe brought the concept back to the US and started the Girl Scout movement.

Personally, as a die-hard Scout working both sides of the program, I honestly believe that each gender needs their own program. It's part of who we are as humans. And again - in my own humble (or not) opinion, BSA missed a golden opportunity. They already HAD a viable coed program in Venturing. To me, it would have been ideal - and much less disruptive - to expand THAT program into the younger ages. Venturing already allowed Scouts to pursue their Eagle, so that portion would have been opened to the girls and younger boys. All of the other opportunities and safeguards available to both boys and girls would simply have opened up to a broader age range.

That's my two-cents on the issue ... but who listens to the volunteers who form the backbone of this age-old institutions? Certainly not those in "authority," that's for sure!

the success of the girl scout troop is solely based on the leader. I was a leader, and here in NY we got zero start up help from the Girl Scout Council. All they wanted was to distribute their frequent fundraiser info for the troop to be mules for funds that minimally benefitted the girls. I had to buy my own flags, supplies, badges, etc. To recoup this, you were supposed to charge dues. The cookies are way overpriced, and the troop gets very little for all the ordering, hauling, collecting, banking. I spent a LOT of my own money
Hear, Hear! My troop was the outcasts ... The Service Unit didn't like us very much, because we bucked the system ... but my girls had a blast and learned skills the girly-girls missed out on, totally.

Pretty sad that your son thinks women and gay people in scouts are mismanagement, but that sounds like a you problem.

Maybe you should talk to him about his shameful behavior. Sounds like he could use a real father way more than a kid who can't do push-ups.
C'mon now ... let's play nice! TBH, these days, I couldn't do a push up to save my life ... and we won't even THINK about pull-ups ...:oops:

Hear, Hear! My troop was the outcasts ... The Service Unit didn't like us very much, because we bucked the system ... but my girls had a blast and learned skills the girly-girls missed out on, totally.
yes as a new leader I got the girls overlooked after the veteran leaders handpicked from the newbies. I even had to scrounge to find my own meeting place. My daughter liked it for 3 years, then went to 4H with some friends. I like that organization much better

Back
Top Bottom