Coronavirus, Covid 19 Discussion and How It Has Affected Your Daily Life Chat Thread

Back to the disasters you were recalling, I am almost embarrassed to say that I was born and raised and lived most of my life in eastern PA, and the worst thing I ever saw was snowstorms. There was a huge flood once when I was very little, I remember us all gathered around to pump water out of my grandmothers cellar and the water came up to the top step!
Other than that there were mostly snowstorms and a few were notable blizzards.
In the three years since we moved to SC we have had a hurricane every year, a tornado, lots of flooding just in general, and of course now we have COVID.
Rude awakening.

Back to the disasters you were recalling, I am almost embarrassed to say that I was born and raised and lived most of my life in eastern PA, and the worst thing I ever saw was snowstorms. There was a huge flood once when I was very little, I remember us all gathered around to pump water out of my grandmothers cellar and the water came up to the top step!
Other than that there were mostly snowstorms and a few were notable blizzards.
In the three years since we moved to SC we have had a hurricane every year, a tornado, lots of flooding just in general, and of course now we have COVID.
Rude awakening.
Blizzards? You old enough to remember the '77/78? Or the '92/93 winter ice storms?

In '77/'78, we had a long driveway, and were on a country road. DH got our Suburban to the end of the driveway the first day, and then it was two weeks before the road was plowed!
We took turns, one of us, with a backpack, walking nearly two miles each way, over fields, to get to town, fresh milk, and visit the office.
Couldn't do it now!
Mary

Last edited:
That reminds me of a time when we were living in Vancouver BC. My kids were SoCal kids but adapted quickly and enjoyed the modest snow that Vancouver has by virtue of the Japan Ocean Current. But one day it snowed. And it SNOWED.

They went to school in the morning, as usual, but by the time classes were out there was easily 2' of snow on the ground.

We lived at the very top of a hill that was perilously close to a 45˚ angle. There was no way I could drive back up if I drove down to pick them up. And, being California kids and young, they had no idea that wasn't a possibility. They regularly walked to school and walked home again in the afternoon but in bad weather I knew they'd be sitting down there at the playground waiting for me to come pick them up.

At the time I had a 9mo toddler. He was barely walking and the snow was almost as deep as he was tall. I had to put him on my back, walk down to the school to tell the girls I couldn't drive and then walk them back home. We trudged and slipped and were almost crawling by the time we got back to the top. The girls were dragging me as much as I was helping them on.

Later when my husband was coming home from work in the dark he had to leave his car at the foot of the hill. He was wearing smooth soled work shoes and was, literally crawling to get up the hill when a patrol car went by and administered a sobriety test. Since he passed it and had a reasonable explanation, they were nice enough to drive him the rest of the way in their seriously 4-wheel drive patrol car.

I'll have to ask the kids -- now grown with their own -- if they have any memory of it but it's a funny memory for my husband and I. We both grew up with snow but that's still one of the memories that stands out of all of them.

I grew up in a suburb of Milwaukee, where there's WEATHER, often. School generally went on, cold or snow, and lower Michigan is mild in comparison. I'm not complaining! Here two feet of snow is uncommon, there, more often, and colder too. At least comparing 'then' with 'now', and I did not enjoy living in the semi-tropics, with the bugs, poisonous snakes, and typhoons.
Mary

Happy Mabon for the folks who celebrate, and I hope it's a good day anyways for the folks who don't. I'm feeling pretty happy today. 😊
Mabon2020.png

Mabon2020_2.png

Happy Mabon for the folks who celebrate, and I hope it's a good day anyways for the folks who don't. I'm feeling pretty happy today. 😊

Happy Mabon! That table setting and all the food looks beautiful and delicious! Hope you have a lovely meal. It's still in the 90s here, so doesn't yet feel like Autumn.

Thanks! We grew so much of this ourselves, it's very exciting!

It's heckin cold here! We're getting down to 40s at night right now! 😱

Incredible! Is that one of your birds and apples and veggies from your garden? It looks like the perfect meal.

Wow... I wish we could trade weather. I really miss the cold, snow and seasons.

Back
Top Bottom