Coronavirus, Covid 19 Discussion and How It Has Affected Your Daily Life Chat Thread

Best of luck and care for everyone in hospital. Here in NL some of the planned care is cancelled bc of the second wave now. And some people with Covid are transferred to the other side of the country bc some hospitals have too many patients.

I’m very much surprised how you have to vote in the US. We all vote on the same day here and never have to stand in a huge line to cast our vote. Most of the time there is no line at all. Only people abroad sent their vote by mail. People can ask someone else to vote for them if its difficult to vote themselves. And there are lots of voting offices in every town, a few in villages and suburbs and at least one in very small villages.

Next spring we have to vote for a new government over here and bc of corona they are discussing now to make it possible to bring you're own pencil and vote two days so their will be no problem with keeping distances. But I do wonder how they plan to do the counting. I helped a few years ago and we were al crisscrossing in the gym (school was a voting office) to gather and pile the votes before counting.

I do hope you hear the results quickly and you get a president with a heart for the people in you’re country.

Lines at voting places make the news, and aren't happening everywhere. BUT, because some folks in power want other people to have problems getting to vote, this is happening. Nothing to be proud of, for sure.
We live near a small town, and already voted absentee, and expect no issues. In 'normal' years, we like to vote in person. This year, fewer indoor places with even small crowds are best avoided.
Mary

We all vote on the same day here and never have to stand in a huge line to cast our vote. Most of the time there is no line at all. Only people abroad sent their vote by mail.

That's pretty much the way it was here too. ...for all of the 50 years I've voted in the US.

What's happening now is the result of a deliberate effort to make it difficult for some folks to vote. Black people, poor people. People who are more likely to vote Democratic. And then, of course, there's all the anxiety of someone being re-elected and what measures he'll take if he's not re-elected

Before I left my ballot I literally checked to see how securely the box was bolted down and that the ballot slid down into the box. I don't trust ANYTHING this election and that most specifically includes AG Barr and Trump's packed Supreme Court.

So I checked that the box was going nowhere and the ballot couldn't be retrieved. What I forgot to check was if there was anyone in sight with a lighted newpaper.

Today in an affluent Black neighborhood in LA someone stuffed a burning newspaper into an official dropbox and burned all the ballots inside.

Hi all, I just found this thread. There's no way I'm going through and reading everything though lol. A couple weeks ago, my grandma (80 years old ) was diagnosed with covid 19 and pneumonia. She picked up covid from the nursing home she was in while recovering from a fractured ankle. She's back home now and fully recovered. Of course, my parents were the ones who picked her up from the nursing home and now both are just finishing up their quarantine. Both of my parents ended up getting it but are both fine now. My poor mom had it over her birthday! She was able to get back to work the other day but my dad can't go back until he gets a clear test. Since the antibodies are still in his system, he's having trouble with that and I guess the insurance only covered 1 test. As far as my family, I'm pretty sure we all had it before all the lockdowns and quarantines began. My DH is in college and is back in the school now instead of all virtual. My kids are returning to school 4 days a week here in the next 2 weeks. Right now, they go 2 days a week with everything else being online.... they hate it and it's a pain to keep them focused and they're teenagers! I can't imagine how anyone with younger kids is handling it! Anyway, that's my covid story. Sorry for the long rambling!

My Mom just had her birthday, too. She turned 84, and her friends at her assisted-living condo complex in Florida threw her a socially-distanced party. My sister and I feel terrible that we couldn't be there. It's been a year since we've been able to visit our Mom - at least her facility is keeping everybody as safe as possible, no visitors are allowed.
My poor mom had it over her birthday! She was able to get back to work the other day but my dad can't go back until he gets a clear test. Since the antibodies are still in his system, he's having trouble with that and I guess the insurance only covered 1 test.
Bolding and underlining are mine...
At the risk of getting too political, this is just one example of why we need a new healthcare system in our country, one that is public-health driven instead of profit-driven. If we'd had adequate testing for everybody who wanted a test, well-organized contact-tracing, and enough PPE for every health-care worker back in March, our economy would be back on track by now, our grandkids would be back in school safely, and unemployed people getting back to work.

I got my ballot in the mail today, and I consider myself very fortunate to live in a state where all our voting has been mail-in for about the past decade, and we have it down to a science. We have a choice to either send our completed ballots back through the USPS or put them in a drop box. My local drop box at our town library is on my way to work, so I always drop it there and will do the same again tomorrow. I really feel for you folks in "voter-suppression states" where your drop boxes are so few and far between, that's so unfair.

I did notice on my way to work today, glancing over at the drop box, the old one has been replaced with a new one that's triple the size. A good sign.

So I checked that the box was going nowhere and the ballot couldn't be retrieved. What I forgot to check was if there was anyone in sight with a lighted newpaper.

Today in an affluent Black neighborhood in LA someone stuffed a burning newspaper into an official dropbox and burned all the ballots inside.

That's so horrible! I hope the voters who used that box get the chance to redo their ballots, and that whoever did that is caught and prosecuted for election fraud and arson. When I drop my ballot, I'll be looking around to make sure there are security cameras in the vicinity, as well as going online to make sure my ballot has been received and counted.

Best wishes and prayers to everybody, that you get to vote and have your votes counted. And even more for those of you are dealing with yourselves or loved ones suffering from covid.

Hi all, I just found this thread. There's no way I'm going through and reading everything though lol.
<snip>
I can't imagine how anyone with younger kids is handling it! Anyway, that's my covid story. Sorry for the long rambling!
Aw, c'mon! It's only 18,000 posts! If you start now you might be caught up by Christmas.🤣
We have probably talked about everything under the sun at this point.

I too am very thankful mine is older and able to manage schooling online pretty well. I'm sure I would be bald right now if I had younger ones and was trying to do our district's schooling at home.
Glad to hear your family members recovered ok from covid, though I'm sure it was not easy. There have been several spouses lost in my circle of friends, but my immediately family, so far, have not gotten it.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom