Coronavirus, Covid 19 Discussion and How It Has Affected Your Daily Life Chat Thread

I got a award from work (many also did I wasn't only one)
Laminated award stating I had perfect attendance during the year of covid. Got a free day in lieu.
DW had to be funny, put it on the fridge, took a pic, had ready to post on FB "kids 'all virtual learning' haven't had anything, awards to put on the fridge, but Daddy has"
Don't you dare post that :mad:
She didn't just F n g with me but I guess pretty funny lol :gig
You have got to be kidding me. An award for perfect attendance at work. Congratulations.

She may be trying to promote her book and movie.
Well did you watch the video? She has live hidden camera videos, talking with other nurses in the hospital while working. Don't think we should all dismiss things as are without being cautious.
She mentions that many people are coming in with trouble breathing because of panic attacks and shows on the hospital computer the false covid tests. Anyone from NY? Might be worth asking nurses in the hospitals that you know and are very honest and looking into this one hospital, her basic final statement is to the authorities so that they investigate this hospital in particular.

yes I have heard it is very bad in Mexico. My sister lives in Belize. I havea trip there scheduled but am hesitant to go. The borders are still closed and only tourist are allow to fly in and out with a neg test.
What's worst is the way authorities are handling everything, like everywhere else in the world the great majority of people that get covid and stay at home get better. And of course it's far harder to find private hospitals that'd risk lawsuits and the sort; it's the public health system hospitals where most of it is taking place.
There's just so much information put there that the best we can do is "not get sick" stay healthy, be cautious and keep social distancing (in reality I think this should have been from the start, specially in a country where everyone that meets or greets you wants to kiss and hug 😒; just hate that, where's my personal space people! Who says I want to kiss or hug just anyone...).

Never have had reaction to any vaccine, at least not that I remember. And boy do they vaccinate us like crazy here in Mexico. My brother went to the US to do his masters degree (way before the pandemic) and the university asked him for his vaccine card (he misplaced it) so they tested him to see what he might be missing and they were in awe at how many things he was actually protected against (don't know how they tested him, but that's what he told me).

I'm calm in the scene that my age group in my country has to wait for the vaccine. Heard people, that come as tourists here talk about people dying in Mexico city after they take the shot, and these are humble hardworking people that really don't know how to use smart phones of social media or video cameras etc... I'm pro traditional vaccines, if I were to get a covid vaccine, in truth I'd rather go for the one they are still developing in Canada, that's not new tech, but is still the old principle of putting an inactive virus inside; don't feel safe trusting in a new tech vaccine that is having it's test run on the world population.
And there's another thing that just seems off; they argue that they want to put the covid vaccine on all the high risk people first, shouldn't children be the first ones...? vaccines are usually administered on children because they don't have a seasoned immune system... Haven't seen statistics on children covid patients world wide, but I guess they don't get sick or not as much because there haven't been any mainstream news about kids dying of covid... Thought they'd be the most in danger...

I think it's really important to look at the data rather than speculation. At one point in time every vaccine was new. This type of vaccine may seem "new" but it's been under development world wide for decades. Lots of people have worked on it. Even Mexico was contributing to the technology development as far back as 2016. (The National Autonomous University of Mexico was helping work on it.)

Why don't you look at a bunch of the statistics and research? I think it would be good for you to seek it out and study it independently. Look for research studies, not news reports and definitely not videos and vlogs from people selling books. Just raw data. Things like how many people develop covid symptoms before and after the vaccine. Or what percentage of people have anaphylaxis from the vaccine compared to other common medications like other shots and antibiotics. I think if you're smart it's easy to see what the data says and come to a sound conclusion.

You're correct, children are not at high risk. This isn't uncommon in viruses. Look at chicken pox. It doesn't hurt kids very much, but adults can die from it if they didn't have it as a kid. Unfortunately the vaccine is not yet approved for kids. Because of the ultra-rigorous standards for drug approval in the USA I know that you have to complete the phase 3 human trials and get full FDA approval for giving a medication to adults before you're even allowed to run TESTS on kids. So there's no legal way for drug companies to have prioritized children in the USA. I know it's similar in the UK as well. I don't know if Mexico could have either.

I agree that social distancing and masking go a long way on their own. If people want to continue to isolate and mask I can't really fault them for that - it's fairly effective.

Personally, I'm a hugger. I wanna hug again. XD

That video hits a nerve! Presumably that nurse volunteered at the time when NYC was hit with the sucker punch of huge numbers of infected who had a disease so new no one quite appreciated what they were dealing with. They did the best they could but it's in no way surprising that mistakes were made and people reacted to overcrowding by placing patients where beds were available. ...which, we might remember, was not limited to actual hospital buildings at the time. And let's not forget how little sleep those folks were working on at the time.

The field of medicine is exemplary for not letting any mistake slip by without examining it for the opportunity to learn to do better. That may be what motivated that nurse to film (tho I'm not sure her video is the legitimate spot for an honest inquiry). But I'd expect a bit of empathy from her as well.

I can well remember my own daughter's first gob smacked reaction when they were losing young "healthy" people to heart attacks and strokes they just couldn't explain or comprehend. It was 4-6 weeks before they came up to speed with Covid and what they had been dealing with to understand what had happened when entire body systems shut down in ways they had never seen before.

When what that nurse says she saw is examined by a forensics committee and put in perspective and applied to improved care and when she explains why she took the matter to YouTube and not the the morbidity and mortality committee at the hospital in question I'll take her complaints more seriously.

Last edited:
Yeah, every single health care worker I know has been muddling through this. They're all stressed and depressed and upset about all the people dying and they're just trying to do their best. I still remember my doctor pal in LA was freaking out about how young people were dying. Even the ones who are hesitant about new tech are getting the vaccine. Three weeks ago a newly minted doctor I know and don't like was saying they weren't sure about it. Then they started their residency and almost immediately asked their children to get it and started asking their hospital when they could get it. They're in Texas now.

What can I say? If I listen to my doctor, if I listen to everyone I know in the medical field even the people I don't trust, if I listen to the people I know in biology and chemistry fields, if I listen to all the people I love and respect and want the best for me, every single one of them is getting the vaccine and says I should get it. So I will.

These are people on the ground, in hospitals, treating sick people, developing drugs and know best what the reality of the disease is far better than I ever could.

This was sent to me by a physician friend.

Dear EditorMODERNA VACCINE IS NEARLY 95% EFFECTIVE, BUT NNTV = 176 TO 1370
Moderna’s phase III trial has shown that, so far, the vaccine is 94.5% effective. (Mahase, BMJ 2020;371:m4471, November 17) As with the Pfizer vaccine news release, few numbers are provided, but we can approximate the absolute risk reduction for a vaccinated individual and the Number Needed To Vaccinate (NNTV): There were 90 cases of Covid-19 illness in a placebo group of 15,000 (0.006) and 5 cases in a vaccine group of 15,000 (0.00033). This yields an absolute risk reduction of 0.00567 and NNTV = 176 (1/0.00567). There were 11 severe illnesses, all in the placebo group, for an absolute risk reduction of 0.00073 and NNTV = 1370. So to prevent one severe illness 1370 individuals must be vaccinated. The other 1369 individuals are not saved from a severe illness, but are subject to vaccine adverse effects, whatever they may be and whenever we learn about them.
How does this compare with other vaccines? Before the measles vaccine became available 90% of children in North America had measles by age 10. Two doses of the vaccine are about 95% effective, so a vaccinated individual’s risk is reduced by 0.855 (0.90 x 0.95), and the NNTV = 1.17 (1/0.855); this is extraordinarily effective……On the other hand, it has been calculated that to prevent a single case of invasive meningococcal disease in North American infants with 3 doses of 4CMenB vaccine at least 33,000 infants must be vaccinated, so NNTV is > 33,000! (Dang et al, BMC Infect Dis 2012;12:202)
Shouldn’t absolute risk reduction be reported so individuals can make fully informed decisions about vaccinations?
22 November 2020

Competing interests: No competing interests

22 November 2020

Retired pediatrician

Cooperstown NY 13326 USA”

It is ok to have concerns over this vaccine or any other substance you choose to put in your body.

Last edited:
This was sent to me by a physician friend.

Dear EditorMODERNA VACCINE IS NEARLY 95% EFFECTIVE, BUT NNTV = 176 TO 1370
Moderna’s phase III trial has shown that, so far, the vaccine is 94.5% effective. (Mahase, BMJ 2020;371:m4471, November 17) As with the Pfizer vaccine news release, few numbers are provided, but we can approximate the absolute risk reduction for a vaccinated individual and the Number Needed To Vaccinate (NNTV): There were 90 cases of Covid-19 illness in a placebo group of 15,000 (0.006) and 5 cases in a vaccine group of 15,000 (0.00033). This yields an absolute risk reduction of 0.00567 and NNTV = 176 (1/0.00567). There were 11 severe illnesses, all in the placebo group, for an absolute risk reduction of 0.00073 and NNTV = 1370. So to prevent one severe illness 1370 individuals must be vaccinated. The other 1369 individuals are not saved from a severe illness, but are subject to vaccine adverse effects, whatever they may be and whenever we learn about them.
How does this compare with other vaccines? Before the measles vaccine became available 90% of children in North America had measles by age 10. Two doses of the vaccine are about 95% effective, so a vaccinated individual’s risk is reduced by 0.855 (0.90 x 0.95), and the NNTV = 1.17 (1/0.855); this is extraordinarily effective……On the other hand, it has been calculated that to prevent a single case of invasive meningococcal disease in North American infants with 3 doses of 4CMenB vaccine at least 33,000 infants must be vaccinated, so NNTV is > 33,000! (Dang et al, BMC Infect Dis 2012;12:202)
Shouldn’t absolute risk reduction be reported so individuals can make fully informed decisions about vaccinations?
xxxxxxxxx 22 November 2020

Competing interests: No competing interests

22 November 2020

xxxxxxxxx

Retired pediatrician

Cooperstown NY 13326 USA”

It is ok to have concerns over this vaccine or any other substance you choose to put in your body.
Please, remove the clear name from your report, or do you have his permission to post this here on the BYC forum?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom