Coronavirus, Covid 19 Discussion and How It Has Affected Your Daily Life Chat Thread

Try quilting cottons, Cynthia. They've tested pretty well because they're closely woven long staple cottons.

When I'm talking mine collapses and expands with my breath (a good sign) and yet they're breathable enough to wear for hours at a time. Not saying I'm not glad when I can take my triple layer one off but I wore it today for the best part of 9am to 2pm without significant discomfort. ...and I'm asthmatic.

OTOH several months ago I had to spend the day in a hospital because my husband required blood transfusions. I was lucky they would let me be with him. But I had to wear my mask all day and it was tough. Hot and my ears hurt from the elastic straps. I got a real respect for the medical personnel who have to do it all day EVERYday!
Ive been a nurse for 23 years and Yes its rough wearing a mask an entire 12hr shift. We have to wear N95s or a respirator and it can be very suffocating at times. We take time for mask breaks when we can but its not always possible when The ED is busy.

Respect, snyderba!

Do you have those little extensions with buttons that wrap the back of your head so you can loop the elastic over the buttons instead of your ears?

270x299-head-strap-buttons.imgcache.rev.web.270.299.jpg

I know it's not going to help with a respirator but if I had to wear a mask all day again I'd definitely make a few of these!

Respect, snyderba!

Do you have those little extensions with buttons that wrap the back of your head so you can loop the elastic over the buttons instead of your ears?

View attachment 2504366

I know it's not going to help with a respirator but if I had to wear a mask all day again I'd definitely make a few of these!
Most of us wear the hats with buttons on each side to hook our regular masks but the N95 have big straps that go over our head as do the respirators

Have you seen that the current recommendation for the newest strains is to double mask using the most effective one closest to your face?

I'm still using my homemade cloth masks. I feel pretty good about them since they're 2 layers of closely woven quilting cottons with a lining of fuzzy flannel with lots of surface to catch any droplets. I may get some non woven surgical masks as well. ...just in case you understand. Or I may add the non-woven layer inside the next time I sew some masks.

I'm still wearing my Christmas ones. Might be time to support my local quilting shop and get something more suitable for Spring.
Don't quote me, but I thought they said..no..cloth masks. Now having said that I do remember them saying months ago that bandanas were ..not...good. Showed the test fine on different masks. It was bad, I think because of them wearing it just doubled over..once not thick enough.

good morning, yes we are still in heavy lockdown though you wouldn,t think it the way some people are behaving !the police broke up a rave of 300 people last week .boris will be reviewing lockdown situation mid feb ,maybe by march things will ease it depends on how the numbers are dropping .My eldest grandaughter caught covid 4 wks ago ,she works in a nursing home ,luckily it was mild ,rest of family tested negative supposed to isolate for ten days but my son in law had to work or lose his job ! on the news and on line they are trying to dispel the myths going about regarding cv ,good luck with that people will believe what they want true or not .

Don't quote me, but I thought they said..no..cloth masks. Now having said that I do remember them saying months ago that bandanas were ..not...good. Showed the test fine on different masks. It was bad, I think because of them wearing it just doubled over..once not thick enough.

I'll look for more current recommendations but last I saw the tests on cloth masks were pretty good. NOT equivalent to N95s by any means but adequate for those of us in casual contact with the virus and better than non-woven surgical style masks.

There is, I guess, confusion over "cloth" masks. I have read that bandanas and knitted gaiters are the least effective and they may be considered cloth too. But I'll look for more recent evaluations.

on the news and on line they are trying to dispel the myths going about regarding cv ,good luck with that people will believe what they want true or not .

That's certainly true here too. BIG time!

Glad to hear that your granddaughter escaped with a manageable case and has recovered.

Are they prioritizing access to the vaccine there? Here aged and ill people in nursing homes and assisted living where the density of population is great were in the highest priority with medical personnel and first responders. They're only beginning to vaccinate the next group, older people 65 and older. Meanwhile, I heard yesterday that Israel has vaccinated nearly their entire population including teens at least once and 10% of Israelis have had their second shots.

Back
Top Bottom