Coronavirus, Covid 19 Discussion and How It Has Affected Your Daily Life Chat Thread

I don't patronize stores that don't enforce masking
I don't blame you. I don't want to be around it either. But I just want you to know enforcing it is no picnic. These people are ready to go to war over a simple request and they are CONVINCED and entitled. I was proud of myself today. Would you have told a man literally with his hand on a gun that he needed to wear a mask if he came back? I help my ground. Easier said than done.

And as cashiers, we don't really care who does or doesn't patronize the store. We just want to be shown a mite of respect.

I'm so sorry that happened to you. Maybe you should ask management if you need to say something or not? It seems like maybe they need to have "bouncers" at the door if they are going to enforce the rule, not ask you to do it.
I don't think I need to. I am just compelled to. It is us (among others), the people who have been working through this whole pandemic, that they are putting at risk. Other customers can just leave if they feel their safety is at risk.

The funny thing is we sell beer and cigarettes and minimal groceries so were able to stay open. Doesn't seem essential, but I see the same people buying MASSIVE amounts of booze and cigs every week. They would lose their mind if we had to close because we only have 4 employees and we all got covid.

I was verbally abused THREE SEPARATE TIMES today for politely asking people to put masks on in the store that I work. I was told that I am "a brainwashed idiot. HEALTHY PEOPLE DON"T WEAR MASKS! Read the CDC guidelines (guidelines are posted in the store saying everyone over 5 y/o has to wear masks, no medical exemptions in New Hampshire.)
A separate person said I was "an asshole that promoted a tyrannical government and the fall of American values." This guy was wearing a firearm and attempting to intimidate me.

These both were reactions to me, after biting my tongue the whole time they shopped and ringing them up and being super polite, ask them to please wear a mask NEXT TIME they were in the store. I am so disgusted and disappointed right now. To me it is not about personal beliefs. Our establishment, in accordance with state mandates, requires a mask. Why do people think they can completely disregard the rules and still get the services we offer? If they don't want to wear a mask, they are free not to do that, but then don't expect to get the same privileges as people following the rules, like access to our store. I was kind and respectful to these people, and they immediately devolved into INSANE conspiracy like insults and name calling. It's frankly sad and terrifying to me.

Sorry for the rant. Just had to get this out. Am I crazy? Should I have just kept my mouth shut?
The one time I asked an unmasked person to keep some distance from me, she about lost her mind. Yelled at me and moved in closer. The utter disregard for others’ well-being is breath-taking.

if I am checking out and see someone without a mask, I'll ask them to put on mask or move farther away from me, please. Sometimes customers can say what staff doesn't feel empowered to say
I wish more customers would. I know I personally appreciate when customers do that. But most wait until the person leaves, and then do a lot of complaining.

I didn’t read through all 2223 posts here so this may have been addressed, but how is vaccinating going in your area? My county accidentally discarded 975 doses! I got my second dose of the Pfizer on Tuesday and felt well enough to work outside all afternoon on Wednesday. My husband was in the first wave as a nurse, I was in the second as a behavioral health provider. I’m still keeping my distance, double-masking, and avoiding places like restaurants and stores during peak hours, though.

I was verbally abused THREE SEPARATE TIMES today for politely asking people to put masks on in the store that I work. I was told that I am "a brainwashed idiot.
Just writing to offer empathy and sending good thoughts to you. I'm very fortunate to work from home, so deeply appreciate those of you who work in public places and have to deal with hostility from people willing to put your life in danger, through not wearing masks or threatening violence.

The toxic individualism and disregard for the health of others has been stunning and I honestly don't know what I would do if I had to constantly confront people at work who wouldn't wear masks in stores where it's a posted requirement, but presumably don't disregard other store mandates and rules against shopping naked, stealing, etc. I don't know what to say except that I'm sorry you have to experience this. Every once in a while I'll see someone in a store wearing their mask incorrectly and it makes me so angry.

I was super worried 10-13 months ago, actually started worrying long before most people even knew the name of the virus. Especially since I'm high risk with all my autoimmune issues. Was wearing a mask at the end of Feb or beginning of March and beginning to stock up on food and essentials long before lockdowns started. Spraying down and washing everything that entered the house lol. Part of my family is in europe and they had very strict lockdowns, like can't leave the house and can't have anyone over lockdowns and it didn't slow the spread there not one bit. I had allergy symptoms and worried every other day if I might have the virus. I kept expecting the surge to hit here, I mean I really expected it I'd been watching the numbers so carefully and I knew what numbers to expect when we reopened and then we reopened and it never "hit" like the statistics had said it should. I've known people now that have had it and were so ashamed to admit they had it like they were shunned and it felt wrong, even knew one tenacious old lady had covid followed immediately by the flu and bounced back like it was nothing. And I also know people that were on dialysis that had it or were in a nursing home and died but they were already hanging on by a very thin thread.

So with all of that I finally figured out by the end of last summer that worrying was doing more harm than good. Focusing on positive practices like regular handwashing, keeping a respectful distance, not touching my face and letting everything and everyone else be, was calming. One thing I continue to do that I didn't do before is keep hand sanitizer with me at all times and then washing hands as soon as I get home. And getting out and doing more walking. Those things are routine now. But I'm content with meeting my fate knowing that I have done the best I could and not blaming anyone for anything they choose to do. We will all meet our fate one day no matter how hard we try and I've come to terms with that. My life is 10x better for that, I feel healthier just by eliminating that stress and focusing on a few minor but key things. Sometimes I forget the virus is even still a thing. But I wear a mask in public when stores request it. There's more than one reason for wearing or not wearing a mask, many of them are health or psychological reasons. We all need to be respectful of each other and our choices, our beliefs or assumptions do not overrule others and I regret having ever felt otherwise towards my fellow neighbors.

Back
Top Bottom