Coronavirus, Covid 19 Discussion and How It Has Affected Your Daily Life Chat Thread

I agree, I plan on wearing a mask anytime I am around people coughing
I haven't heard anyone cough or sneeze in over a yr. I doubt it's because of masks, prob more the no going anywhere. I'm a little concerned of maybe something like bubble boy syndrome. The last over yr everyone's immune systems being put on hold. No advances in natural immunity.
I'm going to continue licking garbage cans and door knobs like George Carlin recommended :lau

Just something historical I like to share. The story behind the first vaccine from dr Jenner and the first anti-vaxers (from an article in NRC in the Netherlands).:

Take smallpox, a terrible disease for centuries and a leading cause of death in children. Doctors had no idea what to do. But rural British doctor Edward Jenner noticed something: milkmaids were less likely to get smallpox. He suspected that the girls came into contact with 'organisms' - viruses had not yet been discovered - through the cow's udders - which caused cowpox. Would these organisms protect them from true smallpox?

In 1796 he started an experiment. Jenner cut the skin of his gardener's eight-year-old son and inoculated him with the pus from a cow's pox pimple. The boy had mild symptoms. Six weeks later, Jenner gave him a shot of "true" smallpox. The boy did not get sick. The cowpox inoculation had made him resistant. Jenner sent an article about his finding to the Royal Academy. He got it back with the comment that he shouldn't jeopardize his reputation with baseless cow cures.

We don't blame the royal academics: Jenner's find defies imagination. A doctor who deliberately sickens a child to protect him from illness? That pus from sick cows plopped into an innocent child's arm? That's beastly. Unnatural. The world's first vaccine went against all intuition.

The anti-vaxers came soon too. In 1805, physician William Rowley published a vicious pamphlet. He also came up with strange stories. For example, he knew someone who had developed a cow's head after vaccination, another had started to moo and there was one who started walking on all fours. Later, there were more grumpy demonstrations in which a straw doll that Dr. Jenner was supposed to represent was set on fire.

Jenner imperturbably campaigned for his idea and delivered one of the greatest breakthroughs in medicine. It would be another two centuries before the disease was completely overcome.
There is a great movie about Louis Pasteur, 'The story about Louis Pasteur' 1936. One of the best movies I've ever watched. Scientists called him a quack, wanted to disbar him, said what he was saying fake news. Before Pasteur doctors didn't wash their hands before surgery didn't believe in Pasteur saying there is germs and bacteria. Didn't believe in the vaccines he developed for anthrax and rabies. Scientists said he was a nut case.
Movie is old and black and white but I put it on one of my favorites list.

It's good to question things, but wrong to disregard evidence (and/or take it out of context and distort it) just to continue laboring under false beliefs. Yeah, an evidence-based conclusion could also be wrong but I think it's a lot more respectable to base conclusions on evidence rather than conspiracy theories and n=1 anecdotes. Moreover, those who aren't very bright are FAR less effective at interpreting data, though it's obviously also possible for one to be bright but still be conditioned into believing something demonstrably false.
Yup, we should block fake info that those in power deem false,
Reason.com;
The Media's lab leak debacle shows why banning 'misinformation' is a terrible idea.
How a debate about COVID-19's origins exposed a dangerous hubris
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://reason.com/2021/06/04/lab-leak-misinformation-media-fauci-covid-19/?amp&ved=2ahUKEwiqwNKFxpjxAhXFmOAKHWZIAHIQFjAAegQIBBAC&usg=AOvVaw0IIObPQPDzvL2LU8I7qQU0&ampcf=1
Facebook made a quiet but dramatic reversal last week: It no longer forbids users from touting the theory that COVID-19 came from a laboratory.

"In light of ongoing investigations into the origin of COVID-19 and in consultation with public health experts, we will no longer remove the claim that COVID-19 is man-made or manufactured from our apps," the social media platform declared in a statement.

I haven't had as much as a cold in the past 16 months. I will continue to mask in public places.
I'm actually going without, but trying to keep distance from others in the store. Just happens automatically now. I stand back while someone is in front of something I want on a shelf..etc..

I'm actually going without, but trying to keep distance from others in the store. Just happens automatically now. I stand back while someone is in front of something I want on a shelf..etc..
I do that also, pretty funny, I'm still observing the six for me + distance, whoa stay back, I don't want you near me .. .lol

Back
Top Bottom