Coronavirus, Covid 19 Discussion and How It Has Affected Your Daily Life Chat Thread

I've always been a bit of an outlier. My Counseling mentor is in his mid 70's, became a counselor at 40 and I plan to follow in his footsteps. I'm 54 and got my Masters in 2018. But counseling doesn't (usually) feel like work. As long as you can sit, listen attentively and provide good care you can be a counselor forever. Doesn't mean I'm going to work 80 hours. But I would go crazy without something to do.
Love your profile picture.

I've always been a bit of an outlier. My Counseling mentor is in his mid 70's, became a counselor at 40 and I plan to follow in his footsteps. I'm 54 and got my Masters in 2018. But counseling doesn't (usually) feel like work. As long as you can sit, listen attentively and provide good care you can be a counselor forever. Doesn't mean I'm going to work 80 hours. But I would go crazy without something to do.
I have a sib over 70 who does counseling. She loves it so much that she plans to keel over in the middle of a lecture. When she told me that, I announced that would work for me if I decided to have a second career counseling the traumatized. 😉

As for nothing to do, when a co-worker reminded me I’d have eight hours a day to fill after retiring, I asked if he wanted my list alphabetically or by priority.

I'm 65 but my daughter just started college.
My retirement plans include a pine box.
I kinda figured that was going to be my retirement plan as well. But in order to get a company to "buy" the one I worked for (ie GIVING them money to take it) they "right-sized" a bunch of people out the door.

DD2 was a Junior in HS. I interviewed a few places, world's worst interviewer, and no one is really interested in hiring old people anyway.

Cardboard for me. Shocking waste of wood is the average coffin.:p
True, and in time both would be compost anyway.

Last edited:
I have a sib over 70 who does counseling. She loves it so much that she plans to keel over in the middle of a lecture. When she told me that, I announced that would work for me if I decided to have a second career counseling the traumatized. 😉

As for nothing to do, when a co-worker reminded me I’d have eight hours a day to fill after retiring, I asked if he wanted my list alphabetically or by priority.
I thought about my choice of words after so I apologize if I inferred that retired = sedentary. That was not my intention (I DID IT BRUCE!) and I hope you will forgive me.

I have furry, feathered and hooved overlords that I care for so I can imagine some of what your list entails. Counseling doesn't feel like work, I'm blessed after many wrong turns to find something I love and that I'm good at.

Last edited by a moderator:

Back
Top Bottom