Coronavirus, Covid 19 Discussion and How It Has Affected Your Daily Life Chat Thread

I'm so sorry to hear that Rebecca :( It must make your life very difficult. Can you even work? I hope it does resolve and soon. :hugs

For all the people who think "it's only like the flu" your story should be an alert. People die in the USA from the flu as well, usually 30 to 60 thousand a year. We are over that by 10X with Covid. Not everyone dies from the flu, nor from Covid and not all who get Covid are long haulers but I think it is worth taking all precautions.

Vaccine provides better protection than natural immunity

"Prager is wrong, suggests a new study published on Friday by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention that finds that natural immunity offers far weaker protection than does a vaccine. The new study finds that people who had natural immunity from having recently fought off COVID-19 and who were not vaccinated were 5.49 times more likely to experience another COVID-19 infection than were vaccinated people who had not previously been infected."

Note at near the bottom of the article they mention the study was only with mRNA vaccinated people.

My son that lives downstairs tested positive for Covid this morning..he, his wife, and their three year old have been sick. Three year old son got sick first. We thought, day care cold. He and his wife got sick days after he did. He thought ..oh..oh..when his smell and taste went. He says he can usually smell some even with a cold. His wife tested negative with this quick test They said you can get false negatives with the quick test, but the positives are always right. BTW, he got the J&J, she got the Maderna. They did two different kinds of tests. The swab for the quick, spit for the other. They're saying it the spit is very accurate. They'll get results on that later. So far, knock on wood, I'm doing ok. I got the Maderna.

Vaccine provides better protection than natural immunity

"Prager is wrong, suggests a new study published on Friday by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention that finds that natural immunity offers far weaker protection than does a vaccine. The new study finds that people who had natural immunity from having recently fought off COVID-19 and who were not vaccinated were 5.49 times more likely to experience another COVID-19 infection than were vaccinated people who had not previously been infected."

Note at near the bottom of the article they mention the study was only with mRNA vaccinated people.
"COVID-19–like illness?" "adjusted odds?"

"COVID-19–like illness?" "adjusted odds?"
Wouldnt a "covid-19-like illness" be any coronavirus? Like the flu or SARs? Rather vague if you ask me.

The new study runs counter to an Israeli analysis, made public in August, that suggested the opposite, with natural immunity seemingly offering greater protection than vaccination.
“Vaccine-induced immunity is way better than infection and recovery, what some call weirdly ‘natural immunity,’” Baylor College of Medicine infectious disease expert Dr. Peter J. Hotez tweeted on Friday afternoon. “The anti-vaccine and far right groups go ballistic, but it's the reality.”

I wonder why the results were different? This is the real reason people are wary of the shot. Its not a cultural or irrational thing. Its conflicting information. When you say one thing and do another it makes it hard for people to trust you.

In case anyone is interested in that particular study:
SARS-CoV-2-naïve vaccinees had a 13.06-fold (95% CI, 8.08 to 21.11) increased risk for breakthrough infection with the Delta variant compared to those previously infected, when the first event (infection or vaccination) occurred during January and February of 2021. The increased risk was significant (P<0.001) for symptomatic disease as well. When allowing the infection to occur at any time before vaccination (from March 2020 to February 2021), evidence of waning natural immunity was demonstrated, though SARS-CoV-2 naïve vaccinees had a 5.96-fold (95% CI, 4.85 to 7.33) increased risk for breakthrough infection and a 7.13-fold (95% CI, 5.51 to 9.21) increased risk for symptomatic disease. SARS-CoV-2-naïve vaccinees were also at a greater risk for COVID-19-related hospitalizations compared to those that were previously infected.

My son that lives downstairs tested positive for Covid this morning..he, his wife, and their three year old have been sick. Three year old son got sick first. We thought, day care cold. He and his wife got sick days after he did. He thought ..oh..oh..when his smell and taste went. He says he can usually smell some even with a cold. His wife tested negative with this quick test They said you can get false negatives with the quick test, but the positives are always right. BTW, he got the J&J, she got the Maderna. They did two different kinds of tests. The swab for the quick, spit for the other. They're saying it the spit is very accurate. They'll get results on that later. So far, knock on wood, I'm doing ok. I got the Maderna.
We had sim situation, preschooler & Dad had it, Mom & baby didn't 2 went upstairs,2 stayed down. Managed to have no cross contamination. Ditto w/ nurse, she came and went from the basement, everyone else stayed on main level, and she pumped so was able to cont providing milk w/o cross. Those were all minor cases, ofcourse. Yes, rapid test can be inaccurate, J&J less effective. If you get booster, one suggestion is to get what you didn't get last time. So Moderna, get Pfizer, or visa versa.

Wouldnt a "covid-19-like illness" be any coronavirus? Like the flu or SARs? Rather vague if you ask me.

The new study runs counter to an Israeli analysis, made public in August, that suggested the opposite, with natural immunity seemingly offering greater protection than vaccination.
“Vaccine-induced immunity is way better than infection and recovery, what some call weirdly ‘natural immunity,’” Baylor College of Medicine infectious disease expert Dr. Peter J. Hotez tweeted on Friday afternoon. “The anti-vaccine and far right groups go ballistic, but it's the reality.”

I wonder why the results were different? This is the real reason people are wary of the shot. Its not a cultural or irrational thing. Its conflicting information. When you say one thing and do another it makes it hard for people to trust you.
https://blogs.lse.ac.uk/impactofsoc...ove-the-quality-and-credibility-of-preprints/
(Not the only one, just one I felt explained best)
Meanwhile, it doesn't exactly jive with https://www.bbc.com/news/health-58432776

https://blogs.lse.ac.uk/impactofsoc...ove-the-quality-and-credibility-of-preprints/
(Not the only one, just one I felt explained best)
Meanwhile, it doesn't exactly jive with https://www.bbc.com/news/health-58432776
Can you cite the CDCs study specifically from that previous article? It had a link to the Israeli study but not the CDCs; or I simply missed it? Not arguing for either side here because I think its a personal choice and I think its important that people educate themselves so they can make the right decision for them. News articles can be biased :thumbsup

Back
Top Bottom