Coronavirus, Covid 19 Discussion and How It Has Affected Your Daily Life Chat Thread

Working on the assuption that DD caught The Covid 8 days ago she's in good enough shape to annoy the rest of us by wandering out of the living room and trying to do stuff.

This winter in the UK is likely to be a complete disaster. Very few people are taking Covid seriously enough to stop extensive infections. I hear lots of people talking about Christmas parties etc.:(
The UK is recording between 40 and 50 thousand new cases per day.
Counting cases does not matter. Count deaths..that's what matters.

Can you show me those numbers on a legit site please? 40 to 50 THOUSAND for an island nation seems like a lot. Like to the point that everyone is infected in a matter of days.
Thank you. This is why counting cases leads to misinformation and fear. Cases going up with stagnant or low death rate equals low mortality. People focus too much on case numbers and are duped into believing the sky is falling by government fear-agents and media looking to grab shocking headlines. The real measure of C19 is hospitalizations but most important is death rate.
People should understand that when the case rate is high and death rate is flat or low that is GOOD because it means the disease has low mortality rate.
Lets do the math using data from UK: https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/uk/#graph-deaths-daily

Grand totals as of today in UK
# deaths/#cases= mortality rate as %
145,646÷10,515,239=0.0134 or 1%

Daily new deaths per daily new cases
127÷53000=0.0024 or 0.2%

If you go to the site referenced above you will see, and can mathematically prove the mortality rate remains quite low. Moreover, by showing a higher number of new cases with a decreasing number of deaths people should be encouraged that the virus is less deadly. (scroll to view the graphs, as they fail to show them side by side).
Bottom line is statistics can be displayed in biased ways, but the math is absolute and true.

Something considerably more than 90% partly because of the time gap between cases and outcome. It used to be something like 14 days even for mild cases because of the tendency of the serious cases to turn so a week to ten days into it. At 40,000 -50,000 cases per day, that is 560,000 - 700,000 who are currently counted as cases but none of whom are counted as recovered yet.

Some unknown number of mild cases aren't counted at all because the people didn't get tested.

Edit to add
From the definitions page of worldometer

"Recoveries = ...WHO recommends following the criteria of [symptoms resolve + 2 negative tests within 24 hours] or [symptoms resolve + additional 14 days], but this is only a recommendation. In some countries, when a patient is discharged from the hospital it is counted as "recovered" even if no test is performed. Some health officials now consider anyone who was diagnosed with COVID-19 three or more weeks ago and has not died to be recovered from the disease. ..."
Also read the disclaimer on how daily cases, total cases are counted. Some positives were removed bc of subsequent negatives. Hmm...seems like a random selection based on whose rules?? All they have to report is inaccurate, arbitrary counts and a very certain death rate. Removing positives only decreases the mathematical mortality rate. Further, not accounting for estimated unreported positives also decreases mortality rate.
As for survival, sure, it can be measured. 90% is not accurate as you point out. But who even believes 90%? Show the math using their own numbers...it does not add up. It should be high 90s.
I personally hate doing math, but this is simple if people take the time to understand it. Sadly most people blindly believe what they are told.

Found this interesting study:
https://m.ufhealth.org/news/2021/tw...tiveness-against-covid-19-virus-early-testing
They need more testing still but it looks like cows milk and antihistamines block covid replication. They were doing this trial in south africa when omicron emerged.
That is very interesting because severe C19 leads to cytokine storm, releasing a surge of many inflammatory mediators, one of which involves mast cell. Very high levels of D-dimer, interleuken-6 ferritin among others put the immune system in a frenzy so to speak.. not a good thing. Diphenhydramine stabalizes mast cells in allergic-type reactions so maybe it helps calm the storm? Certainly interesting but needs to be replicated with control group. I would like to see it compared to steroids, too. I'll be picking brains tomorrow.
Thanks for posting the link.

One thing I keep telling people, say 99% survival rate , sounds great, USA has had 788,000 covid deaths? At 1% with 330 million people we have a long way to go then for the average, that means we will hit 3 million 330 thousand dead... Is my math wrong?

Mine too, I feel like this has been in the works for a very long time.
Did you see this?;
We have saw now Dr Fauci's take on gain of function research in his own words (pretty scary IMHO) how about Peter Daszak from EcoHealth Alliance, the one that received tax payer funds from Fauci that went to the Wuhan Lab, his words ;
Daszak states that researchers found that SARS likely originated from bats and then set out to find more SARS-related coronaviruses, eventually finding over 100. He observed that some coronaviruses can "get into human cells in the lab," and others can cause SARS disease in "humanized mouse models."
"You can manipulate them in the lab pretty easily." What he then mentioned has become the telltale trait of SARS-CoV-2, its spike protein: "Spike protein drives a lot of what happens with the coronavirus, zoonotic risk."
Daszak mentions the WIV's collaboration with Baric: "and we work with Ralph Baric at UNC [University of North Carolina] to do this." As has been suggested by proponents that SARS-CoV-2 is a chimera made in a lab, he speaks of inserting the spike protein "into a backbone of another virus" and then doing "some work in the lab."

https://www.taiwannews.com....

That is very interesting because severe C19 leads to cytokine storm, releasing a surge of many inflammatory mediators, one of which involves mast cell. Very high levels of D-dimer, interleuken-6 ferritin among others put the immune system in a frenzy so to speak.. not a good thing. Diphenhydramine stabalizes mast cells in allergic-type reactions so maybe it helps calm the storm? Certainly interesting but needs to be replicated with control group. I would like to see it compared to steroids, too. I'll be picking brains tomorrow.
Thanks for posting the link.
Not sure what your profession is but you sir/ or maam seem clearly to know what youre talking about. I tip my hat to you

Back
Top Bottom