Coronavirus, Covid 19 Discussion and How It Has Affected Your Daily Life Chat Thread

This thought has occurred to me because DH and I are both immuno- compromised and take immune suppressant drugs and by experience know that the least dangerous virus and bacteria can send (DH in particular) to the hospital for weeks at a time.
We have a kiosk at the local mall. We have a frame along the 2 open sides with clear plastic, which if the virus is airborne, that plastic does no good. The mall is loaded with lint and everything even inside the kiosk gets loaded with lint. So if the virus is airborne, then it's all around because the mall is packed with people.
I'm not saying this cause I'm scared, it's just things I take into consideration. Why? Because I ponder ways to keep us safe so we may live without so many hospital stays. We were immuno compromised before COVID came and did things to protect ourselves BEFORe COVID. Back then I didn't expect others to alter their life because of us and I still don't. They have their lives to live and keep the economy afloat. If I focus on protecting ourselves, I don't feel angry at others who aren't careful cause I don't have time to focus on them. Less stress. More inner peace.If other people want to eat fat and sugar laden food that can cause illness, I have nothing against that but in my fight for life, I choose to eat healthy. Don't get me wrong, I appreciate everybody who does things to help the less fortunate. It makes fuzzy warm circles around my heart. But once again, I've lived over 50 years with these health problems and I've never before asked people to change their life for me...I will continue to educate myself and have peace that the world doesn't have to stop for me.
The only thing we have to fear is fear itself

There is another thing to keep in mind, when COVID-19 first came out they said it's not airborne.Meaning you would get it only if you were close to a sick person or touched a surface that came in contact with their virus particles.
Now they changed it to it may remain airborne for 3 hours. This is important to know because if someone releases some virus into the air and leaves the room, You come in 15 minutes later, touch nothing in the room, you can still pick up the virus by walking into those air waves. This is important to know, for instance to someone with asthma who wears a mask for their own protection around people but takes the mask off when nobody is around.
It also destroys the idea of '6 foot seperation and barriers. :confused:

Six foot is an arbitrary number but concept wise, it is useful. Most larger droplets settle out of the air pretty fast. At regular breathing velocity, by the time they are six feet away from the person who breathed them out, they have settled low enough that another person doesn't breath them in.

The smaller droplets (aeresols) settle a lot more slowly. They also get blown around a lot more and can carry a lot less virus in them.

The more enclosed the space, the poorer the ventilation, the closer to the other person, the longer the time spent in proximity to a contagious person, the more contagious the other person, the more vulnerable you are.... any of them can make enough difference that you can't get it no matter what the other factors are. But if none of them are making such a difference, then the more of one factor you have the less of the others you need in order to not get sick.

You need a certain number of viral particles within a given time frame to get enough viral load to overcome your bodies defenses. What, exactly, that number and/or timeframe is depends on the person and varies over time from long term things like how much zinc they've had to short term things like how much sleep they had recently.

Six feet as a magic number is silly. But if you generally stay six feet away from everyone and in well-ventilated spaces you get a low enough dose that you probably won't get sick if you have a reasonably normal immune system. Even if you sometimes walk through where someone else was a moment ago.

The plastic barriers have pros and cons. They deflect air currents so maybe add to the effective distance between the teo people. They also disrupt airflow so maybe effectively lessening the ventilation of the spaces. Which makes more difference depends on the given space and given people.

Six foot is an arbitrary number but concept wise, it is useful. Most larger droplets settle out of the air pretty fast. At regular breathing velocity, by the time they are six feet away from the person who breathed them out, they have settled low enough that another person doesn't breath them in.

The smaller droplets (aeresols) settle a lot more slowly. They also get blown around a lot more and can carry a lot less virus in them.

The more enclosed the space, the poorer the ventilation, the closer to the other person, the longer the time spent in proximity to a contagious person, the more contagious the other person, the more vulnerable you are.... any of them can make enough difference that you can't get it no matter what the other factors are. But if none of them are making such a difference, then the more of one factor you have the less of the others you need in order to not get sick.

You need a certain number of viral particles within a given time frame to get enough viral load to overcome your bodies defenses. What, exactly, that number and/or timeframe is depends on the person and varies over time from long term things like how much zinc they've had to short term things like how much sleep they had recently.

Six feet as a magic number is silly. But if you generally stay six feet away from everyone and in well-ventilated spaces you get a low enough dose that you probably won't get sick if you have a reasonably normal immune system. Even if you sometimes walk through where someone else was a moment ago.

The plastic barriers have pros and cons. They deflect air currents so maybe add to the effective distance between the teo people. They also disrupt airflow so maybe effectively lessening the ventilation of the spaces. Which makes more difference depends on the given space and given people.
Great, informative, common sense post.

And all those variables makes it so much more difficult for the government to make one-size-fits-all rules and regulations. Another reason why it's so important for each of us to take care of our own selves because we know our own vulnerabilities. Rather then get upset when we think someone else doesn't 100% follow the rules.

And all those variables makes it so much more difficult for the government to make one-size-fits-all rules and regulations. Another reason why it's so important for each of us to take care of our own selves because we know our own vulnerabilities. Rather then get upset when we think someone else doesn't 100% follow the rules.
Taking care of oneself now that's an idea. Hope the government isn't watching

Havent heard from @topochico225 in a while so I was beginning to worry. Search turned up last posted the 20th of january in extra extra thread posting having recovered 99%. Glad to hear it :thumbsup
:thWhoops. Thought I updated y'all! I'm pretty much fine now, just have diminished taste and smell. Probably about 60% there.

I primarily use the BYC app on my iPhone, but since my PFM expired it's impossible to reply on there, so I wait to use my laptop when I'm done running my butt off. That does lead to a lot of forgotten threads!

Thank y'all for your kindness and well wishes! The family has all recovered. My best friend and her family however tested positive today. They're unvaccinated, so I'm hoping theirs is a mild case. I don't want to think about how much more severe my case would have been if I was unvaccinated.

I guess I'll talk to my doc about when I should get my booster. CDC is now referring to people w/o full vax series + booster as "not up to date on shots."

:thWhoops. Thought I updated y'all! I'm pretty much fine now, just have diminished taste and smell. Probably about 60% there.

I primarily use the BYC app on my iPhone, but since my PFM expired it's impossible to reply on there, so I wait to use my laptop when I'm done running my butt off. That does lead to a lot of forgotten threads!

Thank y'all for your kindness and well wishes! The family has all recovered. My best friend and her family however tested positive today. They're unvaccinated, so I'm hoping theirs is a mild case. I don't want to think about how much more severe my case would have been if I was unvaccinated.

I guess I'll talk to my doc about when I should get my booster. CDC is now referring to people w/o full vax series + booster as "not up to date on shots."
We were worried about you but I feel much better knowing you're well. I waa very concerned based on how you said your symptoms were that you had ended up in the hospital. So happy youre ok

Back
Top Bottom