Coronavirus, Covid 19 Discussion and How It Has Affected Your Daily Life Chat Thread

I never questioned why I was raised Amish. At an early age (8-15) I had questions for my parents that they really struggled to answer fully. I was a bookworm and read anything I got my hands on. We had various bibles that were written in more of a storybook form than the KJV which we had for our English version. Our church and devotions version was the Luther German Bible. Most of us were taught to read that German in school. Most of us that learned to read it, did not learn to understand what we were reading. We were able to understand some of the words, but not nearly all of them. Our worship was in German, but not nearly all of us understood what we heard. That is part of Amish tradition being more important than Bible truth.
I read and re-read that storybook version. I was intrigued by it, I really couldn't get enough of it. As I got older I switched to the KJV as that was the only english version we had at the time. I read the bible so much (age 12-14) that my Dad finally warned me that reading the bible as much as I was reading it was actually a bit dangerous. When I questioned why, he said that the people that read the bible a lot usually end up not staying in the Amish setting. I stopped reading as much because I didn't want to be led astray by my excessive reading. I never had a desire to leave the Amish setting before we left. It was very difficult to leave because I wanted to be Amish, but I desperately needed help. If we had not left before being with that first non Amish church we would have gotten punished for seeking help outside of the Amish setting. We have never regretted leaving, because we now have a good marriage and relationship, but not without a lot of hard work and sacrifice.
That is quite strange. Why would reading the Bible be dangerous? I feel like the Bible gives us more answers than questions. I also wonder why your bible was in German. Are the Amish German immigrants? And are they a branch off of Lutheranism? I guess I never considered their descendants into this country. I'm glad you were able to solve your martial problems though.

That is quite strange. Why would reading the Bible be dangerous? I feel like the Bible gives us more answers than questions. I also wonder why your bible was in German. Are the Amish German immigrants? And are they a branch off of Lutheranism? I guess I never considered their descendants into this country. I'm glad you were able to solve your martial problems though.
I was raised Catholic and most of the Mass was still in Latin.

I never questioned why I was raised Amish. At an early age (8-15) I had questions for my parents that they really struggled to answer fully. I was a bookworm and read anything I got my hands on. We had various bibles that were written in more of a storybook form than the KJV which we had for our English version. Our church and devotions version was the Luther German Bible. Most of us were taught to read that German in school. Most of us that learned to read it, did not learn to understand what we were reading. We were able to understand some of the words, but not nearly all of them. Our worship was in German, but not nearly all of us understood what we heard. That is part of Amish tradition being more important than Bible truth.
I read and re-read that storybook version. I was intrigued by it, I really couldn't get enough of it. As I got older I switched to the KJV as that was the only english version we had at the time. I read the bible so much (age 12-14) that my Dad finally warned me that reading the bible as much as I was reading it was actually a bit dangerous. When I questioned why, he said that the people that read the bible a lot usually end up not staying in the Amish setting. I stopped reading as much because I didn't want to be led astray by my excessive reading. I never had a desire to leave the Amish setting before we left. It was very difficult to leave because I wanted to be Amish, but I desperately needed help. If we had not left before being with that first non Amish church we would have gotten punished for seeking help outside of the Amish setting. We have never regretted leaving, because we now have a good marriage and relationship, but not without a lot of hard work and sacrifice.
I guess I assumed all the plain folks had the Bible as the most important thing..... but I knew traditions were very important.
Thank you for sharing

Guilt is a powerful tool/weapon, used my many religions to control it's people and others.
The bible can be interpreted in many ways, depending on the readers perspective/needs/motives...and also used for evil or good.

Guilt is a powerful tool/weapon, used my many religions to control it's people and others.
The bible can be interpreted in many ways, depending on the readers perspective/needs/motives...and also used for evil or good.
That is too true unfortunately. At one point in time I believe they used a quote from the text to support slavery. But I think that's the result of evil people not the Word.

Reading the Bible with an open mind gives you an understanding of the will of God, which might be different in practice that the traditions that were taught for well over 400 years now. The Amish are germanic in origin. Martin Luther King Jr. is a hero in the older generation of Amish for his translation of the Luther German Bible which most of them still use in worship services. There are a few districts that will preach in english if they have english speaking visitors.
I don't know if the Amish split from the Lutherans. I'm not much of a historian.
Jacob Ammon is commonly referenced for starting the Amish group we know of today. The Amish actually split off from a Mennonite group, commonly known as followers of one by the name Menno Simons. There are various others that I don't have names for right now that were also involved in getting these groups started.
This link is a decent history on the different groups and subgroups within the larger group.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Subgroups_of_Amish

Back
Top Bottom