Coronavirus, Covid 19 Discussion and How It Has Affected Your Daily Life Chat Thread

"2 weeks to flatten the curve" is a sick joke that would have only worked if EVERYONE actually stayed home. Too many workers were frightened of getting fired or not making enough money to keep up with rent to stay home. :/
Because everyone has the means and supplies to actually stay home for two weeks? And no, it would not have worked.

My short answer is that Washington is too chickenshit to enact proper cordon sanitaire. What the CDC agency heads were telling the media did NOT line up at all with what we were doing to protect our own. The labs had rigid shifts with specific cohorts swapping out every other day so we wouldn't expose each other. HR literally paid us 10 hours every week to stay the hell away from work and each other so we could look after our kids and elderly.

As for vaccine efficacy:
2) vaccination helps, but may not be as good against newer variants as you have noted (hence my initial remark about high mutation rates in respiratory viruses): https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jamanetworkopen/fullarticle/2791601

An earlier Danish study noting reduction of CoVID transmission in vaccinated households: https://www.nature.com/articles/s41467-022-31494-y#:~:text=We found a vaccine effectiveness,when they were fully vaccinated.

2a) the claim that "most cases of CoVID are in vaccinated people" is technically correct. However, this observation ignores epidemiology! As of early 2022, nearly 80% of the adults in the USA have had their two-shot primary series. Yes most new cases of CoVID may occur in the now-vaccinated population. "Isn't this proof that the vaccines don't work?" you may ask. No. The people who get sick, in spite of being fully vaccinated, represent a vastly smaller percentage than those who got sick while unvaccinated.

https://www.kff.org/policy-watch/why-do-vaccinated-people-represent-most-covid-19-deaths-right-now/
I don't wish to derail you so this is whenever you get around to it:. Can you explain the massive layoffs/resigns that occured at the CDC in reaction to COVID procedural handling? Did you, yourself, remain in employment there even though you disagreed with some of your colleagues that were misinforming the media?

YES!

But if it was taken more seriously from the beginning maybe would have been a much shorter disruption instead of now 3 years with no end in sight. All the civil unrest, people so angry and violent, shortages of common but necessary things. It just seems to go on and on.
How would you have taken it more seriously? The virus will eventually infect everyone. It has mutated to become less deadly and the most vulnerable have been protected longer.
I don't remember civil unrest of violence related to Covid except by some miscreants taking advantage of it. We could have protected the vulnerable and gone on about our business but instead we introduced chaos and exposed everyone.

"2 weeks to flatten the curve" is a sick joke that would have only worked if EVERYONE actually stayed home. Too many workers were frightened of getting fired or not making enough money to keep up with rent to stay home. :/
Actually it would have done nothing constructive. Unless the purpose was to destroy civilization. China is attempting that now with predictable and disastrous results.

Last edited:
Actually it would have done nothing constructive. Unless the purpose was to destroy civilization. China is attempting that now with predictable and dasterous results.
More specifically it did nothing constructive other than create fear. Yoda I believe said "fear leads to anger, anger leads to hate, hate leads to the dark side"

This is gonna take a lot longer than past 4:55, LOL. I appreciate all yall being patient and asking good, hard questions. My best answers will be about science because I love it in my heart of hearts in spite of seeing so many politicians doing bad things with it. My opinions and piss-takes will be reserved for the fat cats that didn't have to go out and live though this shitstorm.pĺ

To do:

Eventually get back to why masks actually do okay and why they aren't a child developmental disaster, discuss how and why such widespread vaccination is resulting in previously undisclosed side effects, and my own personal jester's privilege re:why I havent left CDC yet to start my own farm vet biz.

Everyone seems to be giving opinions about the beginnings of the epidemic and they are good questions. Let me see if I can distill it some.
Do you think the virus or the pandemic could have been forestalled with stricter measures or was it inevitable once it was in the population? (It was in the population in '19,before most people even had heard about it.)

Back
Top Bottom