Correct mixture of grains for feed

Lol, fermented feed was brought up by someone else. If you read the original post it has nothing to do with that. Thanks

Hello, I am curious if anyone can help figure out a good mixture/ratio of the grains I have available for chicken feed. I'm looking for a mixture for 50lbs worth. I have Black oil sunflower seed, safflower seed, whole cleaned oats, milo, and white millet. I do not want to add corn or soy products. They are free range chickens that are free to browse wherever In the yard. They also have free choice oyster shell. I'd just like to know a good ratio to mix the above grains at for 50lbs. Oh and I also have diatomaceous earth to add. Thanks for your help
If you can get some field peas and barley into that mix you would be good (protein levels). You could also get a natural premix to mill with those grains. I mill, barley, wheat, oats, peas, and put organic premix. I do this for my hens and my meat birds ( I raies 800 meaties) and protein has never been an issue.

If your starting them as chicks, you might have to go with a soy additive in your mix for the first few weeks.

I have to crunch some number to get you a ratio for 50 lbs, I usually mill 2 tonnes per batch.

If you dont have access to other grains, then I would start digging them worms up, and starting a worm farm while your at it.

Thanks, I'm pretty sure I can get Barley, but I haven't seen any field peas available. I'll keep checking. The weather has turned to the 60's here and the bugs are really coming out. The chickens are chasing them all day.

Our local Orschelens store which is a farm type store just started selling a non gmo chicken feed. It's 29.99 for 30lbs. So basically it's double the money of a commercial feed and 10lbs. Less. Once I figure out a mixture I can see if what I'm doing is any cheaper. I sure hope so.

Adding Beans and or Peas plus adding a Vitamin/Mineral premix will help out.

I would keep Barley to a minimum, its nutrition is about the same as Oats and only about 11% protein.
Poultry can not digest the Carbohydrates of Barley that easy and Barley also contains a Anti-nutrient Starch called Beta-glucans (ß-glucan), this starch is hard for poultry to digest also.

Beta glucose is not a starch, it's a cellulose like carbohydrate,starch is made of glucose bonded in alfa 1-4 bond.
For some reason I got the two crossed.
Yes Alfa (a-D-glucopyranose) makes starch.

Let me correct myself,, Beta-glucans (ß-glucan) which is a Cellulose and that is in Barley is hard for poultry to digest.

Back
Top Bottom