Coryza!?! HELP!!!

Peachesbabychick

Songster
8 Years
Sep 17, 2011
Some where over the rainbow
Hi everyone,

I just posted about my 2 EE pullets, they seem to have a runny nose but only in one of their nostrils. The "liquid" coming out seems to have a stinky smell also. I am very worried about them, I don't know if they have Coryza, or just a little cold. So my question is, how do you tell the difference between Coryza and a runny nose/cold? How do I get them better?

They are still in quarantine.

I am also concerned that the one half our garage (where I keep chicks and new birds) may be infected, because this is where I have been keeping them, if this is the case, how to I DISinfect so I can put new birds and chicks? PLEASE help me I don't know what to do. My mom thinks they are fine because they act very full of life and normal? Am I over reacting? Am I putting my flock in danger if I introduce these 2?

Please help a 13 year old girl who is new to chickens,

Thanks so much,

-Peaches

Last edited:
The stinky smell is usually a sign that they are infected with coryza. I can tell you've done research on it. It's smart to quarantine them. Chickens dont get colds like humans, they get a specific disease. Here's a link to respiratory diseases in poultry. Scroll down to Infectious coryza and read about it if you wish. There are many symptoms of coryza, keep in mind that it's not necessary to have ALL the symptoms, the foul odor is a dead giveaway.
http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

Back
Top Bottom