Coryza or MG? Need advice, large flock

Whitnicrob

In the Brooder
Nov 25, 2019
I recently brought home 3 7ish week hens. I quarantined for 1 week (realizing that wasn’t enough). They were then moved to the farm side with my 35+ Free ranging flock but isolated in a smaller coop.

The oldest chick is now showing respiratory symptoms. She is a Black Copper Maran. One eye is swollen and a little watery. Yesterday it was half open, today she opens it for a second then just keeps it closed. She seems to have very light nasal discharge, barely noticeable, and a slight sneeze.

The other 3 hens that were in the coop with her are clear, but 2 of the ducks that were sleeping at the bottom of the coop at night are coughing.

I was willing to cull her for the health of the flock, but I fear whatever it is, has already spread to the ducks.

The ducks are my kids pets. So culling is not an option.

I am not sure what to do from here or where to start. Should I separate the other 4 ducks from the two coughing? I assume they are all sick, as ducks stick together like glue and play in the same water source.

Do I treat the ducks and assume the rest of the flock is clear, since they were mainly separate?

Is it possible to keep a closed flock and just live with this given that we free range?

Can we still eat the eggs and meat from our flock if they have either of these diseases?

Can I purchase the antibiotics without a vet script?

Can this affect my goats?

I’m so stressed and angry at myself for not following my gut about the three new additions. I don’t even know where to start.

The original sick pullet is in quarantine on the opposite side of the property. The ducks are quarantined in a fence inside the farm side where the rest of the flock are free ranging.

Please help.

Attachments

• 60FD566C-21A7-44B8-9A0A-435392F8A7DA.jpeg
    60FD566C-21A7-44B8-9A0A-435392F8A7DA.jpeg
    400.8 KB · Views: 29
  • B173DF96-BA34-44AA-A9FE-F68FC2D02031.jpeg
    B173DF96-BA34-44AA-A9FE-F68FC2D02031.jpeg
    409 KB · Views: 8
No, you cannot get antibiotics now, at least that are water soluble, and they would not do any good anyway. They don't cure Coryza. I don't know about the goats, sorry. My only solution is to cull the birds that show symptoms, disinfect every blessed thing and hope the others did not catch it, but watch for symptoms and cull as needed. You'll always be having to be careful of clothes and shoes and can never let a bird leave your property if you keep a sick carrier bird.

If the ducks have a respiratory infection I don't think it's Coryza, because I don't think ducks get Coryza. I asked if a vet is an option because a vet could look at a nasal swab under the scope which would help in choosing an antibiotic.

I don't know what I would do if I were in your shoes. :hugs You could try an antibiotic like Baytril, and if it's a bacterial respiratory infection, that will probably help. The problem with Baytril is it's banned for use in poultry. Lots of us use it, and many vets still prescribe it, so read about the ban before you buy it.

No prescription needed

Does is 0.068 ml per pound of bodyweight twice a day for 3-5 days.

Another option is to send a sample to this lab:
https://zoologix.com/avian/Datasheets/PoultryRespiratoryPanel.htm
They will test for:
Avian influenza
Aspergillus fumigatus
Bordetella avium

Infectious bronchitis
Infectious laryngotracheitis
Infectious coryza
Ornithobacterium rhinotracheale
Mycoplasma gallisepticum

No, you cannot get antibiotics now, at least that are water soluble, and they would not do any good anyway. They don't cure Coryza. I don't know about the goats, sorry. My only solution is to cull the birds that show symptoms, disinfect every blessed thing and hope the others did not catch it, but watch for symptoms and cull as needed. You'll always be having to be careful of clothes and shoes and can never let a bird leave your property if you keep a sick carrier bird.

I’ve been stressing and obsessing about this all day. I’m happy to cull the definite carrier bird. The Maran above. The one duck was coughing a lot this morning but nothing this evening. The other duck seems to have lost her voice.

I’m really not sure if the ducks are showing symptoms or if they were doing these things before the ill bird arrived.

Is there anything this could be that isn’t a death sentence for my flock? I wouldn’t even know where to start on sanitizing since they free range. I don’t think 🤔 it would even be possible.

I think I would break my children’s heart if I culled the Ducks.

This sucks. It sounds like they are just going to drop like flies.

I’m thinking the other two birds from the ladies farm need to be culled, symptoms or not, and maybe just isolate the ducks to the other side of the property?

If the ducks have a respiratory infection I don't think it's Coryza, because I don't think ducks get Coryza. I asked if a vet is an option because a vet could look at a nasal swab under the scope which would help in choosing an antibiotic.

I don't know what I would do if I were in your shoes. :hugs You could try an antibiotic like Baytril, and if it's a bacterial respiratory infection, that will probably help. The problem with Baytril is it's banned for use in poultry. Lots of us use it, and many vets still prescribe it, so read about the ban before you buy it.

No prescription needed

Does is 0.068 ml per pound of bodyweight twice a day for 3-5 days.

Another option is to send a sample to this lab:
https://zoologix.com/avian/Datasheets/PoultryRespiratoryPanel.htm
They will test for:
Avian influenza
Aspergillus fumigatus
Bordetella avium

Infectious bronchitis
Infectious laryngotracheitis
Infectious coryza
Ornithobacterium rhinotracheale
Mycoplasma gallisepticum

There is a vet that will see chickens but they couldn’t tell me if they could test for those things specifically.

I think Texas A&M does all the laboratory testing but I haven’t got a clue how that works. I’m not sure if they deal with the public or are just a lab that works with Vets. I’ve been trying to figure that out all day.

The reason I suspected Coryza over MG is because the ill pullet has a odd smell. It’s not pungent or horrid, just kind of nasty. I assumed it was from being cooped instead of free range like my birds.

The ill pullet feels underweight. I see no bubbles in her eyes, but the one is watery. I see what looks like clear liquid coming from her nose possibly and she’s not as energetic as normal for this age. She is eating an drinking fine, and her other eye is clear as day.

The ducks have been in the goat house pen, because it was all we had to separate them.That’s currently the dustiest area of our property, and the ducks had just come out of there when they were making the noises, but one duck has lost its quack.

I walked out just now and noticed one of my oldest hens (1.5) sneezing and appeared to spit something out of her mouth.

I’m pretty sure I’m screwed.

Is there anything this could be that isn’t a death sentence for my flock? I wouldn’t even know where to start on sanitizing since they free range. I don’t think 🤔 it would even be possible.
Not all respiratory infections are contagious, sometimes they just inhale some poopy water. I had one like that a couple of years ago, a peachick, and he was the only one in the brooder that got sick. Gave Baytril and he was 100% better in 48 hours.

Last edited:
I think Texas A&M does all the laboratory testing but I haven’t got a clue how that works. I’m not sure if they deal with the public or are just a lab that works with Vets. I’ve been trying to figure that out all day.
If you're in Texas, call them, explain your situation and ask about having a poultry respiratory panel done, also ask them about doing a necropsy on the sick one.

If you're in Texas, call them, explain your situation and ask about having a poultry respiratory panel done, also ask them about doing a necropsy on the sick one.

I tried calling today. I will try again tomorrow. I’m not in college station but close enough to make it work.

We did decide on a plan. We locked down all coops, removed any suspect birds. We will cull the original sick bird, and hope that the others aren’t sick. If they are we will do what we need to do but it is going to suck.

Back
Top Bottom