Cost of keeping chickens

Pics

Chicalina

Crowing
Aug 1, 2020
UK
I keep seeing on here people saying they cannot afford good quality feed, vet fees, good coop construction materials, necessary equipment, medicines, etc etc.

I get that times are hard but why keep any animal if you cannot afford their upkeep?

I am all for being creative and saving money, using home remedies, growing my own food, bit of minor home surgery etc but for some this is not a choice. And sometimes it is not enough.

Even if you are raising livestock for consumption rather than keeping them as pets, you have a responsibility towards their welfare.

I hope I'm not being unfair to those on limited incomes, and I realise that sometimes people's circumstances change. I just feel a bit frustrated sometimes when I hear of chickens suffering because their owners got them and cannot spend what they need to to ensure they live a good healthy life.

Rant over 🙂

(I realise I am probably going to get flamed for this post)

I have 50 chickens. They get sick occasionally; or injured. I do my best to treat / prevent, but I will not bring a chicken to a vet. It is just way too expensive. But that does not mean I am an irresponsible person who lets my chickens suffer and die. They are spoiled and loved. However; they are livestock. I have 2 dogs whose vet bills are very expensive. I think if someone ignored their sick / injured chicken would be one thing... but no, I refuse to take a chicken to a vet. Most of the time if it gets to that point it’s too late anyway. And I live in the south (NOT born and raised here), where I’m surrounded by farmers and chicken people. A vet has never been necessary.
It also depends on what your chickens are to you. My neighbors are Mexican and their chickens have a tattered shack to sleep in and get table scraps only; if one of theirs get sick they cull and eat immediately. Their chickens are strictly livestock. Then there are others whose chickens are their pets, and that’s fine. I’m in between... love them like pets but at the end of the day it only goes so far. To each their own. I focus on initial proper care (my babies live in a huge coop that’s cleansed daily and get supplements, garlic, ACV, the whole 9 yards). But I don’t consider myself a neglectful chicken owner bc I won’t spend $100 on a chicken at the vet (which is just the cost to be seen - who knows what else you could be charged for or have to buy).

I have 50 chickens. They get sick occasionally; or injured. I do my best to treat / prevent, but I will not bring a chicken to a vet. It is just way too expensive. But that does not mean I am an irresponsible person who lets my chickens suffer and die. They are spoiled and loved. However; they are livestock. I have 2 dogs whose vet bills are very expensive. I think if someone ignored their sick / injured chicken would be one thing... but no, I refuse to take a chicken to a vet. Most of the time if it gets to that point it’s too late anyway. And I live in the south (NOT born and raised here), where I’m surrounded by farmers and chicken people. A vet has never been necessary.
It also depends on what your chickens are to you. My neighbors are Mexican and their chickens have a tattered shack to sleep in and get table scraps only; if one of theirs get sick they cull and eat immediately. Their chickens are strictly livestock. Then there are others whose chickens are their pets, and that’s fine. I’m in between... love them like pets but at the end of the day it only goes so far. To each their own. I focus on initial proper care (my babies live in a huge coop that’s cleansed daily and get supplements, garlic, ACV, the whole 9 yards). But I don’t consider myself a neglectful chicken owner bc I won’t spend $100 on a chicken at the vet (which is just the cost to be seen - who knows what else you could be charged for or have to buy).
X2.
@Chicalina I think your privilege is showing a bit. There are many rational reasons one would have a chicken without first ensuring they can pay for its possible medical bills. Chickens have been helping humans save money with meat and eggs for hundreds of years. That is the reason they were domesticated. Not to grow super fluffy until they can't see and cuddle all day. Apparently you don't get that "times are hard," because if you did you would understand the simple economics of this. 5 dollar chicken with seven year life span gets sick at 3 years old. Say the vet bill was 400$. How many chickens could you feed while they feed you for that money? For many, chickens are a beautiful, rewarding part of a bigger homestead system where they fit into a big puzzle. Pooring too many resources into any one part of the system can topple the whole thing. It is a lifelong juggling act of resources and best judgement.
To say that YOU PERSONALLY would take your chicken to the vet is perfectly acceptable. To imply that others who do not agree care any less for their animals is presumptuous and inaccurate. I absolutely ADORE my birds. I have layers, meaties, and guineas as well as a batch of young pullets totaling 66 birds. I feed them they feed me. They feed the compost that feeds the garden that feeds them which then feeds me. They are super important to me and my land, and valued and loved, but are never going to see a veterinarians office. AND THAT'S OK!

I keep seeing on here people saying they cannot afford good quality feed, vet fees, good coop construction materials, necessary equipment, medicines, etc etc.

I get that times are hard but why keep any animal if you cannot afford their upkeep?

I am all for being creative and saving money, using home remedies, growing my own food, bit of minor home surgery etc but for some this is not a choice. And sometimes it is not enough.

Even if you are raising livestock for consumption rather than keeping them as pets, you have a responsibility towards their welfare.

I hope I'm not being unfair to those on limited incomes, and I realise that sometimes people's circumstances change. I just feel a bit frustrated sometimes when I hear of chickens suffering because their owners got them and cannot spend what they need to to ensure they live a good healthy life.

Rant over 🙂

(I realise I am probably going to get flamed for this post)
Well, you are going to get flamed a little, I suppose. In my life I have noticed that sometimes one’s fortunes take an unexpected downturn. And some individuals will always have a little less than others. It is unfair to expect everyone to be able to buy or build the Taj Mahal for their chickens or other pets. It is still possible to create a reasonably comfortable living space for them, although it may not look pretty.
The most important thing is for them to be properly fed, and that can be accomplished inexpensively. Veterinary visits are another story. Not everyone can randomly drop 100 bucks (or more) to have a chicken looked at. That is some folks’ grocery money for the week.
Don’t take this as a “flaming”, as I don’t mean it that way. I’m just reminding you that poor people need their chickens (and other animals) as much if not more than those who are well-off.

I don't think I'm heartless by any means but spending who knows what on a $3 amimal seems silly to me. I only go to the doctor when I know I need medical attention. Step throat, broken bones, having a baby. You know the basics.
I do however provide the necessary items for my chickens to have a happy chicky life. Plenty of room, food, clean water, the ability to forage, and get plenty of sunshine and freash air. I enjoy my chickens but they serve a purpose in our lives to weed and lay eggs. Our meatbird have one job, don't die before butcher day. I haven't lost one over a week old yet.
They might not have the best but they what what they need.

Last edited:
@Chicalina, you may be biased towards your feelings about chickens, so what bothers you stands out...

....when something is top of mind, we humans tend to notice that thing more.

....try reading some of the positive posts to balance this out. Don’t focus on the feeding your flock, or disease forum....instead, read “stories of my flock” or similar.

vets are few and far between for chickens. It would be cost prohibitive for the vast majority to use, not to mention logistically difficult when the nearest avian vet might be 2+ hours away, if one is even within driving distance.

Chickens are first, and foremost, livestock. They provide food for humans. They are prey animals and, generally, are not cuddly pets for the vast majority of keeps (even if we have a favorite one or two).

I agree with you. We'll get flamed together.
Chickens do not have to be expensive. They don't know "the Jones" and aren't worried about "keeping up with the Jones'es".
My coop is not the best, my feeders and waterers are repurposed and yes old. They work. Which is better a $100 feeder or a 5 yr old butter bowl? To the chicken it doesn't matter-as long as it has food in it. The only time I would stress on something "good" is security. Make sure the coop/run/box you got the birds in-is secure and safe. Hardware cloth-don't go cheap here-but there are cheaper options. Friends, friends of friends-ask around-I bet someone has extra. I am looking for a 4ft x 4ft piece of hardware cloth to cover a window. Someone will know of it, or have an alternate idea.

I understand both those who take their chickens to the vet (I'm in that camp) and those who don't. As long as those who don't also don't allow untreated animals to suffer.

My chickens are pets who produce eggs. But, if they were livestock that would be eaten, I might have to think differently about spending $100. After an accident that guided me to a too-early retirement, spending money on vet bills affects me differently than when I had a salary and was able to shell out $6,000 to care for my favorite dog.

My late father grew up on a farm, and I'm sure he's rolling in his grave every time I grab a pet carrier for a chicken or duck and drive 20 minutes to a vet who actually knows and cares about poultry. Dad would have quickly dispatched the bird with no expense and little mess.

But regardless if your chickens are your pets or your food source, you have to be able to provide safe housing, sufficient feed and clean water. Aside from commercial feed, we all know chickens don't need a fancy coop (please ignore avatar photo of well-built but overpriced coop purchased used from Craigslist and at a further discount by suggesting previous owner not clean it and drop the price lower; my other coops aren't nearly this fancy), and cleanliness and fresh water aren't costly.

I'm one of those people who will take a pet to the vet, then eat macaroni for the rest of the month to cut costs. I try, as I think most poultry owners do, to make the most humane choices possible to me.

But thete is always dep of ag to take care of people that mistreat

hmmm...if an animal is watered, fed the proper feed, and housed appropriately to keep the dry and warm, however ugly it may be, a keeper is not going to be in trouble.

I spend about 7k a month on feed vets
Outside of the reach of many people. 7K a month is quite high and you don’t indicate numbers or types of animals you are keeping for 7k per month.

I think that the important things are food, water, and shelter. Doesn't matter what the food or water is in, just that they have proper access to it. Shelter doesn't matter as long as it's wind and rain proof. I don't think that it's wrong to not take your birds to the vet, but it is wrong to see one injured/suffering and just leave it without helping it at all. Even if helping is to put it in a nice warm place, or culling it to end it's suffering.

Back
Top Bottom