Cost of keeping chickens

Pics
Thanks so much! $1.80 is still really good. I raise fast growing Cornish x broilers. I put them in a tractor on pasture at about three weeks. I move the tractor everyday. It keeps my bedding cost near zero and I never worry about poop. This is how I did it last time. https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...of-meaties-just-arrived-26-cornish-x.1393220/

This conversion to lbs and feed effectiveness is very awesome. Thanks for bringing this up.

And when you go to Walmart now ground beef is 5.88 and 5.60 ish in my area for comparison, depending on how lean it is. The other meats have gone up also.

It does look like the increases have slowed, but I do think there will be another increase this winter still.

Since we're on this topic...

I do see some room for improvements. This isn't a criticism but a research question that's unanswered.

If people can know that their chicks need 18% protein on the dot, then how come we can't have a standardized researched figure for what percent of their daily diet can be forage?

That would help vastly for people in this crunch of hard times.

I also see a few comments where people are trying to buy their feed from a pet store instead of a livestock feed store, which would explain why they are saying its expensive. The agricultural stores will sell feed cheaply.

Maybe it would help also to go over the minimum numbers you can feed ducks and chickens and still have them produce?

I don't like the word homestead and the weirdness people give it, but I do think the movement is inspired. But it could be worded better, like living off the land like you say, or self sufficiency. I also hate the word 'prepper'. Why do they have to turn everything into some kind of nerd obsession word?

(How much do you guys give your ducks in feed per day? And how much for greens? I want to improve on this, just like the topic of the thread to have the best efficiency.)

I would think people could also do worm bin farming to help feed their chickens also. Worms do eat stuff that chickens can't eat.
Agree totally

I personally think all animals should be treated as animals, not fashion accessories. But i suppose it does no harm. Unless the owner gets bored and abandons the bird when it becomes too much responsibility and less fun. I'm sure that is a minority.

I was concerned to read a thread recently where the owner was complaining that the cost of peas was too expensive and that she would have to stop feeding them and that partly prompted this thread. I mean, if you cannot afford frozen peas then you cannot afford to keep poultry, right?
I totally agree. Peas are very cheap, and even if they weren’t I consider nutrition the most important consideration.
I would not keep any animal if I could not properly feed it.
Treats and clothing are not necessary, but proper nutrition is.
Chicken feed and vegetables are fairly inexpensive.
And from a practical point of view, properly fed chickens will lay more and better quality eggs. And also, for those who eat their chickens, you will get better quality meat.

Last edited:
Thank you for your insight. I really appreciate it.

Land is so expensive here (unless you are in the north) that it is a way of life that isn't available to many. Conversely many farming families leave the land because the industry isn't very sustainable any more, plus the adult children often want more from life.

I grew up on a working farm (country estate) as my parents worked for the landowners, but then we moved to London when I went to school. I have 'come home' to some extent because I live in a rural area now, but i don't have land of my own. I would love to have a place large enough to have more animals and plants and just more space generally. I dream of buying some woods and building a log cabin in the middle!

I wish I could live in a rural area, with NO people that would have a town still within driving distance. Its frustrating being in town where everyone doesn't realize all their aggression and pushing things onto people create bondage.

Most people I know do not deliberately mistreat their animals. Some are ignorant and feed them the wrong stuff or something like that. I have helped a lot of people and thankfully BYC has given me the information to be a better chicken owner. The information here is great. I have improved my flock management but I have a computer and I have BYC. $100 vet bill for a $25 chicken ain't gonna happen, but I won't let it suffer either.

I wish I could live in a rural area, with NO people that would have a town still within driving distance. Its frustrating being in town where everyone doesn't realize all their aggression and pushing things onto people create bondage.
OMG you would not believe what it is like in London. I love that city but would never choose to live there again. You only have to compare the driving style there and where i live to see a snapshot of the mentality. 'Everyone for themselves, the road belongs to me, get out of my way, I don't care about you', versus courtesy, letting people cut in and generally 'we all share the road and need to get somewhere so let's all help each other do that'.

Came across this thread this morning and found the comments interesting. Having raised chickens for over 50 years now, I have never taken a chicken to the vet nor would I envision doing so. That being said, I have been extremely fortunate with my flocks from an illness and predator loss standpoint. Like most things in life, I keep things simple with my chickens in that I provide quality feed, adequate shelter and fresh water. I have never been one to pet them or feel the need to cajole them but they are well cared for and in return have brought me a lifetime of enjoyment.

Came across this thread this morning and found the comments interesting. Having raised chickens for over 50 years now, I have never taken a chicken to the vet nor would I envision doing so. That being said, I have been extremely fortunate with my flocks from an illness and predator loss standpoint. Like most things in life, I keep things simple with my chickens in that I provide quality feed, adequate shelter and fresh water. I have never been one to pet them or feel the need to cajole them but they are well cared for and in return have brought me a lifetime of enjoyment.
That's great and they are a very rewarding animal to keep, whether for hobby or food purposes.

My issue is with people who decide to keep them whilst not being able to afford the basics in care, medical treatment, shelter and nutrition.

You shouldn't get a dog if you can't afford vets bills (though there are some good charities out there to help), vaccinations, food etc, so why do people think chickens are immune to suffering if their basic needs aren't met? Maybe because they are cheap to buy, quick to die, I suppose. I just find that sad.

This has been an interesting thread for me and has touched on different topics and viewpoints. I'm glad people have chipped in with their opinions. I'm probably too soft in my outlook I think. Some people believe all animals are here to serve humans, and I don't agree with that. I think if we raise them we take on the responsibility of them and should not do that too lightly. I'm ranting now! lol

I give thanks to everyone for their contributions.

OMG you would not believe what it is like in London. I love that city but would never choose to live there again. You only have to compare the driving style there and where i live to see a snapshot of the mentality. 'Everyone for themselves, the road belongs to me, get out of my way, I don't care about you', versus courtesy, letting people cut in and generally 'we all share the road and need to get somewhere so let's all help each other do that'.
Same happens here too with the big cities. I think it's two things... in a big city you are less likely to offend someone you actually know and it becomes a domino effect, so many others are rude that you have to step it up a notch or get runover.

Driving in NYC is absolutely nail biting and hair raising extreme to me. They start honking at you before the light even turns green, you have to watch the crosswalk signs for the countdown and have your foot ready on the gas. Fender benders happen all the time and many don't think twice about it. And then driving in Atlanta the interstate is 16-20 lanes wide sometimes and when there's traffic and everybody changing lanes left and right it's crazy...

I absolutely agree that having animals means looking after their well-being. I also know that cheap, gmo food from TSC can be just fine and chickens don’t care if their coop is a nailed together fort of old wooden barn doors 🤣
About the vet thing... I have one girl that I would take to the vet (Pea Pod- my avatar). The others I will treat myself until their time came or their suffering became apparent. Pea Pod is my lap sitter. My little chickie genius. My actual pet. The others I love and respect as livestock on my little farm.

Attachments

• 050E0B7F-C4A7-44C0-9CF2-96C911C76EF4.jpeg
    050E0B7F-C4A7-44C0-9CF2-96C911C76EF4.jpeg
    934.2 KB · Views: 2

Back
Top Bottom