Cotournix Hybrid?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by LyrebirdJacki, Sep 25, 2013.

1. LyrebirdJacki

LyrebirdJacki Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2012
    Darwin Australia
    I have been hatching my cotournix quails as per normal and have got a weird chick from my most recent hatch (last night) which has me skeptical. I currently house some cot's in with my Bobwhites as they grew up together and don't fight, plus there is so much room in there it would be a waste. My bobwhite mates with his ladies in particular but I have seen him on a tux hen a few times. I was curious and read up on the "bob-bird" hybrid and saw that any hybrid is only from a cot-roo to a bob-hen. My bobwhite hens get mated by the cot quail roos but since they arn't laying yet I haven't actually incubated their eggs; and if I were getting hybrids, or that hybrids were possible I would separate as I want pure birds.

The chick I got (only one, and it hatched the latest, a second that looked similar died) makes a very distinct noise, nothing that any of my japs have made before. He has the most unusual markings on his face (quite like a rosetta chick but very thick black markings, he is a very dark colour in general also), so it doesn't really resemble a bobwhite chick in the face. It is also tiny compared to all the other chicks, and runs very very fast just like a bobwhite. His beak is quite normal as far as I can tell, I'd assume it would be more "bobwhite" like if it ever were a hybrid.

Has anyone actually hatched one of the "bob-bird" hybrids? I'd like to see some photos so I can see for myself, as I can't find any convincing photo that it even exists. I just want to know so I can separate my bobs if I need to. I originally was told they can't hybridise so I thought it was ok to house them together.

I will try to take a photo of him in the morning as my camera doesn't do too well in unnatural lighting (indoors). For all I know he might just die before he gets too big. He might just be a funky looking jap, which is what I am hoping for.

2. James the Bald

James the Bald Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2013
    This debate came up once before. Here is the link to the thread. Nobody ever produced photos.
    James

3. LyrebirdJacki

LyrebirdJacki Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2012
    Darwin Australia

Cool thanks, well I guess they are all frauds then. The chick ended up dying anyway, but I did a little research and there really looks like no possible way to cross the two quails so my bobs should be fine to have japs living with them. I was just concerned because I don't want any hybrids ruining my bloodlines.

Thanks anyway, I'll give that thread a look but I am pretty confident I shouldn't get any.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by