Coturnix Quail Basics- Information and Pictures Galore

I have him by his self. I'm going to start saving eggs the hatch. the incubator holds 10 so I want to hatch a round or two before they stop laying. When does that happen in N GA?

Last edited:
I have him by his self. I'm going to start saving eggs the hatch. the incubator holds 10 so I want to hatch a round or two before they stop laying. When does that happen in N GA?

Well I'm not exactly sure K, I keep my birds on artificial light. I would guess somewhere around October, when the days get shorter, I think under 13 hours of daylight.

OK I checked, the length of days goes under 13 hours at the end of August so they'll stop laying probably September.

Hi I am new to this thread. I am considering getting some quail for my son. I am doing a lot of research first. TY for having me.
I am the enabler!
big_smile.png

Well I did it. I'm right proud of my self. I processed the first all by my self. My husband helped with the other 7. He's better at skinning them than I am. I did everything up to that point and then he did the rest. Now that I have 8 ready to cook what's the best way. I have them in saltwater in the frige now. Going to cook them Wednesday.

Congratulations!

When i cook them I usually grill them rolled in a bit of olive oil and seasoned with some italian herbs. I've had good luck any way I cooked them though. Braised is probably the best way to cook them in the house.

Well I did it. I'm right proud of my self. I processed the first all by my self. My husband helped with the other 7. He's better at skinning them than I am. I did everything up to that point and then he did the rest. Now that I have 8 ready to cook what's the best way. I have them in saltwater in the frige now. Going to cook them Wednesday.

hugs.gif
its hard the first time, WTG!!!!
They are flat awesome fried, BBQd etc, just keep in mind the meat dries out fast.
low n slow...temps for prep

I soaked them in salt water for 2 days, wrapped them in bacon, grilled, and glazed them in a homaide bourbon honey sauce. They were wonderful. I can't wait until the next eggs hatch. :)

I have been procrastinating culling but today I got a wake up call that I waited too long, the males are fighting. I'm processing tonight. I think I will brine, bacon wrap and glaze them as well, thank's for the idea!
droolin.gif

Last edited:
I have been procrastinating culling but today I got a wake up call that I waited too long, the males are fighting. I'm processing tonight. I think I will brine, bacon wrap and glaze them as well, thank's for the idea!
droolin.gif

I had a lot of procrastinating to do today, but I decided to wait until tomorrow.

Last month I thought I was procrastinated, so I took castor oil just in case...

Back
Top Bottom