Coturnix Quail Basics- Information and Pictures Galore

My eggs are hatching!

One of my little guys pricked a vein when he pipped and came out with black patches on his feet. Has anyone ever seen this before? He seems otherwise healthy and his feet function fine. It looks like a really bad bruise.

So 4 of my 8 eggs hatched. I'm not completely bummed since this was my 1st attempt but I do have 1 issue. #4 hatched almost 24hrs after the other 3 and they are picking on "him". He's not very steady on his feet yet and I'm afraid they r going to hurt him. They are pecking and harassing him. What shld I do? I moved the other 3 to a brooder and have him in incubator alone hoping he'll get a little stronger and steadier. Any ideas??

Last edited:
put him in the brooder in a clear tupperware so they can all see each other but he is protected. Give him his own food and water and by the time he is able to jump out of the tupperware on his own he'll be ready to hang with the big guys.

Another question. I have quail hens that are roughly 11wks old and have just stopped laying last 2 days. I'm seeing more feather loss and some are scruffy looking. Could they be molting at this age?

Back
Top Bottom