Coturnix Quail Basics- Information and Pictures Galore

Just wondering since more ppl see this thread if anyone can help me. My 6 week old coturnix rooster has had a puffed up back of the head and neck/chest area. I'm wondering if it's just him puffing his feathers up because he's in heat or what since he has started crowing this past week. He's been like this since this afternoon and has mostly just been sleeping he hasn't even eaten though he did drink a little.

I also apparently can't figure out how to upload pictures from my phone

I am sorry I am new to cots myself. If you are using the app that may be your problem. Or if you ate a newer member you have not yet reached the required number of posts yet to share pics. Hope someone answers you soon on the quail.

Last edited:
Thank you for the information.
Looking at adding quail this week.
We can get a 22% layer pellet locally although it is kind of hard Haven't seen a 22% crumble.

Are there problems with adults startling and hitting their heads? I read it was an issue for chicks. But the hutch I wanted to use has a very low roof height.

I use game bird feed if I can find it. do you have cats or varmints in the area coming thru at night? had mine with 12" cages and never had a problem. locally you can get week old chicks for 75 cents... rats will bite their toes if they can get to them also...

I use game bird feed if I can find it. do you have cats or varmints in the area coming thru at night? had mine with 12" cages and never had a problem. locally you can get week old chicks for 75 cents... rats will bite their toes if they can get to them also...

They would be in a rabbit hutch inside my chicken run.
No varmint problems there.
Chicks here are $2, eggs are $5/dozen.
I can get 7 week olds for $5, figure then I can pick mostly hens and raise my own as these start laying.
I'm ordering quail trays for my turners.

So glad you mentioned turners! I bought a little giant and I'm finding information on using it for quail vague at best....do I need to buy turners plus quail rails or just the quail rails? Thanks for any info on this I feel like a dunce!

My old Bator was just trays. Held 1500 quail eggs. Would just kind of roll them around by hand twice a day. Had prob 90% hatch rate. Kind of tough when rotten ones would explode while turning. You could prob hatch pharoah a on top of a hot water heater

Back
Top Bottom