Coturnix Quail Colors -- Quail discussion thread

Thanks for keeping up, but Charlie (he is one of three birds, I didn't hatch) came from quite the same situation, as you are describing šŸ˜Ÿ

But hey, ... never knows. .... Crossing fingers :fl

Maybe she is trying to dominate him? My hen would sometimes jump on to the rooster and pretend to mate with him. He let her and went flat on his belly like a hen. He passed away three days ago.
So sorry for your loss! Hmm...personally I do not think it would be bad for my hen to try to dominate the roo. He has been overbreeding all of his hens.

My new quail chillin in the bedroom while I build their pen outside. They are from MyShire according to the guy I bought them from. He bought a crap ton of hatching eggs and sold the ones that were colors that he didn't want
IMG_20200901_031713.jpg

What could one expect, color-wise, from a mating between a Tibetan tuxedo quail and something else? Would it be possible to get a bird that is tuxedo but not just with the normal Tibetan coloration?

What could one expect, color-wise, from a mating between a Tibetan tuxedo quail and something else? Would it be possible to get a bird that is tuxedo but not just with the normal Tibetan coloration?
It depends on the genes carried by both birds. If you cross a Tibetan hen to a scarlet roo, all female chicks will be red and all non reds are male. If a bird has one Tibetan and one pharaoh gene it isnā€™t Tibetan, itā€™s Rosetta, and I think they call it red range if it has one Tibetan and one red gene. If you have a pure Tibetan and and cross it to anything that is not Tibetan, you will get some or all non Tibetan chicks. So a Tibetan to a pharaoh will make all rosettas. A Tibetan to a scarlet will make red ranges. Genes like silver and fee will interact in diverse and interesting ways with the colors and patterns they are crossed to.

Tuxedo is a collection of pied genes, when bred to a non tux, you will get chicks that are less tuxy than the tux parent, some by a lot and some by a little.

It depends on the genes carried by both birds. If you cross a Tibetan hen to a scarlet roo, all female chicks will be red and all non reds are male. If a bird has one Tibetan and one pharaoh gene it isnā€™t Tibetan, itā€™s Rosetta, and I think they call it red range if it has one Tibetan and one red gene. If you have a pure Tibetan and and cross it to anything that is not Tibetan, you will get some or all non Tibetan chicks. So a Tibetan to a pharaoh will make all rosettas. A Tibetan to a scarlet will make red ranges. Genes like silver and fee will interact in diverse and interesting ways with the colors and patterns they are crossed to.

Tuxedo is a collection of pied genes, when bred to a non tux, you will get chicks that are less tuxy than the tux parent, some by a lot and some by a little.
Thank you for your response! I am getting some shipped eggs soon, and if any of them hatch and turn out to be tuxedos (Tibetan), I am considering breeding them with my current male (see 1st picture in 1st post) to create interesting pied birds. I would also like to make birds that resemble my male as closely as possible, but I rather doubt I will be able to do this and am not sure what colors would be best to try.

Thank you for your response! I am getting some shipped eggs soon, and if any of them hatch and turn out to be tuxedos (Tibetan), I am considering breeding them with my current male (see 1st picture in 1st post) to create interesting pied birds. I would also like to make birds that resemble my male as closely as possible, but I rather doubt I will be able to do this and am not sure what colors would be best to try.
It looks like he has 1 copy of fee and is wild pattern. Wild pattern is recessive to range patterns, so if you breed him to a range pattern that does not carry wild pattern, you will get more of like a Rosetta fee bird, it will have some barring and lacing, but wonā€™t have a full wild pattern. If you want birds that look like him, you can order some falb fees, then cross him to the tuxiest offspring each generation, until you get ones as tuxy as he is.

Back
Top Bottom