Coturnix quail feed

Is Monarc fishing again? I figured she would put in her 2c!

Keep in mind, I haven't taken possession of these yet so I am trying to learn AND pass along what I have learned from others.

Monarc posted already earlier in the thread
big_smile.png

Nancy

I have been feeding by 2 Buttons and 2 Couternix chicken layer feed. The Couternix give me 2 eggs per day. Sometimes there is even a 3rd egg. This dosen't seem possible, but it's happened several times.
wee.gif

sandyj

I am certainly not an expert but from what I have read and researched, quail need lots of other nutrients IN BALANCE that chicken feed may or may not have. I personally use Purina feed and start all of my birds on Gamebird Startena with high protein for about 5 or 6 weeks. After that, they get 20% protein for the rest of their existence. I don't offer my birds any other foods other than some bread treats and they lay everyday (almost) and the eggs are hard shelled and the birds seem to do very well.

I have certainly used chicken feed in a pinch for a few days when I was out of feed and waiting on the 'good' stuff, but I believe the requirements for healthy quail are a bit more than what basic chicken feed has in it. Of course, I raise all of my birds on wire, so they do not have access to other 'nutrients' found in the grass or ground so this might make a big difference on their nutrition if they had access to a more varied diet.

Would love to hear some expert opinions on the subject with a few years of experience under their belt to see if long term feeding of other types of feed affect the coturnix quail and their overall health.

I can only get 22% gamebird feed or 16% layer feed in not medicated. I start both the button and coturnix chicks on the gamebird feed with cat food to up the protein a little. The buttons I then continue to feed gamebird feed with a liquid calcium supplement sold for reptiles. Out of the adult coturnix I still have the ones I'm butchering tuesday eating gamebird feed but I've been feeding the breeders I'm keeping layer for weeks. I don't know about long term yet but they seem to be doing fine on it and I'm getting an egg a day. They are actually in better condition and health than the meat quail but there are most likely other factors impacting that including just the number of birds in my meat pen right now. Buttons I found do not do well on layer feed for very long. The hens will stop producing eggs within a few months and take long breaks. They also seem to be more sensitive and I have deaths a lot more frequently than if I feed the gamebird feed.

Coffee grinders are quickly killed by dog/cat food and especially oyster shell. I went through one every 4months and I bought a different brand and better quality each time. Now I have a magic bullet and that sucker will grind anything. I only worry about possibly having to replace the blade if I use it for oyster shell so I try to avoid that.

Quote:
I would stay with the 22% gamebird feed, its closer to the amount they need to stay healthy, protien wise.. As for the oystershell, i am going to do a bit of an experiment, i am not going to provide any to my quail this year and see how it effects them, basically see if they really need it to produce stronger shelled eggs and such. I know we dont provide it to the chickens and have had no problem with weak egg shells and the hens seem very healthy. I provided oyster shell to my ducks, but they dont seem to touch it at all and the eggs have been very good as well.

Am I giving my coturnix too MUCH protein? They're about 18 weeks old and are eating 28% gamebird food. This is what the previous owner was feeding them and had good egg-production rates with. I spoke to another coturnix owner on the phone (He has 2500 coturnix with another 3000 in the bator!
th.gif
) and he said he feeds his 20% at laying age and obviously he has no problem with egg production. I'm confused... *sigh*

the chick feed i have my quail on is a starter/ grower and they can stay on it till 12 weeks old then i need to go to game bird feed ( breeder , i think) my 1 st batch is almost 8 weeks old , my 2 nd batch is 2 weeks old , and my 3 rd batch is due to hatch tomorrow. i have 21 outside , 24 inside and 47 in the bator! BEST OF LUCK!

Quote:
Wow, that is a ton of quail!!! And atleast 12 tons of poop to go with them!!!LOL

Ive talked to a guy that fed his on ground up cat food (30%)from day one through the life cycle and he never had any problems. I have read that to much protien can effect the liver, but if most people are culling their flocks at a year old for fresh birds, i dont think it makes a difference since long term effects are non-existant with that method.

Back
Top Bottom