Coturnix quail feed

Okay thanks everyone. I just came back from the feed store and they had in the bulk section a ground powder oyster shell so i got a couple pounds of that to see if they eat it.

As for Tequila... bring it on! I love margaritas , midori sours, midori margaritas... I'm not picky
tongue.png
I'll pass on the oyster shell rim though i prefer salt
lol.png
It's friday.. I should be drinking one right now... hmmmm okay see you guys later!

Nancy

Quote:
I was married on Cinco De Mayo ......... margaritas are one of my fav drinks. I cannot have tequila or margaritas without remembering my wedding day........... sigh, I live in the northern wastelands but am a southerner at heart......

Boyd... stick to the subject at hand. We don't want a honeymoon flashback!

I am getting 70 A&Ms for free this weekend from my 7th grader's Ag class. They have studied feed rations all year and they all do just as good on 18% layer as they did on 28% gamebird feed as far as laying and fertility.

I'm saving my money and keeping them on the 18% ration.

If you don't believe me do a study for 9 months yourself. It's a lot like the oil companies telling us to change our oil every 3K miles... Ya, in the 40's before oil filters were on cars! What a marketing ploy!!!!!!!!!!

Do you mean chicken layer ration? Boy that would be easy to just give them what my chickens already get.

Funny i just went out to put some of the powdered oyster shell and guess what!!!!!!

I got my first coturnix eggs!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 2 of them ! i've been looking for a week, of course now when i wasnt looking .. there they are! Whooohoooo

That would be great to be able to feed them the same thing as my chickens! You can only get the game feed here in 50lb bags. I was afraid it would get stale before we used it all!

Well.... let's make this clear. I haven't feed them MY feed mill's 18% layer feed. I am sure that they will slow down from the change... hopefully only for the adjustment period.

But, seriously, Levi's ( our 7th grader) class have been studying different rations all year (and the teacher has been testing for almost 5 years with A&M's) and the best bang for the buck is 18%. I am sure that I will probe him for more info but on average for egg production, weight gain, and fertility, he swears by 18% layer feed.

I am interested in all 3 to be honest. I agreed to get these birds because I like white meat but I would like to sell pickled eggs too to off set some costs. But as part of the "free" flock agreement, I have to provide the next year's Ag class with eggs for hatching to do further tests.
So I hope to gather some previous information to continue this study and have some bite-sized birds for grilling!

Other breeds may vary and remember, I am only going off of my son's teachers word. So this is NOT Gospel.

I'm not sure about the oyster shells... I have been visiting the school for the last couple months and there are no free choice shells and those suckers are laying more than I can imagine.

I would really think that all of this depends alot on breed. A&M were either selectively breed or hybrid birds. They may be VERY different from other breeds.

Rinse, repeat. Your results may vary
lol.png

Quote:
well layer feed has some calcium i believe so that may be why they arent supplementing but for such a small bird to produce an egg a day... they have to need a decent supply of it .

they sure gobbled up that powdered oyster shell, I threw some of it in their sand dust bath too because they like to eat some of that too.

So I guess i'll see what percentage my layer food is , i need a new bag soon anyway, I tossed the bag since i put it in a metal trash can. If it's enough or close I'll maybe use it and supplement with a little extra protein or mix some of the turkey grower which i have regularly for the chicks anyway. I feed my hens pellets though so I'll still have to buy something different LOL unless i want to grind that too!

Nancy

Back
Top Bottom